Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Controlling Amperage with Tesla Wall Connecter non-Tesla EV's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to regulate how much amperage you can send to a non-Tesla EV? I know I can with my MY in the app. I ask this, because in the Summer with the home AC running, I will have to dial down how many amps I'm sending to the vehicle. And in the future, if I decide to buy a non-Tesla EV, I'd like the ability to do so, if the vehicle lacks the option to do so.

The EVSE (mobile or wall connector) establishes the maxium that can be provided and the car defines how much it will draw. If a mobile connector is on a 40-amp+ circuit it will offer up to 32-amps and you cannot limit this. In a Wall Connector it is set to the circuit capacity, assuming it is on a 60-amp circuit it is configured for a 60-amp circuit and will offer up to 48-amps, but you can change this all the way down to a 15-amp circuit. If you put the Wall Connector into the configuration mode you can set it to a lower circuit setting, say 40-amps, in which the maximum it will offer is 80% of that value, which for a 40-amp circuit is 32-amps,

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and headhz
Is it possible to regulate how much amperage you can send to a non-Tesla EV? I know I can with my MY in the app. I ask this, because in the Summer with the home AC running, I will have to dial down how many amps I'm sending to the vehicle. And in the future, if I decide to buy a non-Tesla EV, I'd like the ability to do so, if the vehicle lacks the option to do so.
You can go into the settings for your WC and limit the amount of current that it advertises. That's about all you can do with most vehicles, which lack the ability to control it on the vehicle side. But your Tesla would max out at the same level.

Reactions: cgell and headhz
So, when you add a wall connector, does the Tesla app add another set of settings for it or is it something that has to be done on the hardwire side? Or is it something completely different? I'm looking for a decent charger that's hardwired, doesn't cost more than the Wall Connector, and has a fairly easy way of regulating the amperage. With everything eventually going electric, I wouldn't mind helping a friend non-Tesla get some power, but I don't want to sweat on a 90 degree day waiting 2 hours either. Haha. Thank you for your time helping me.

So, when you add a wall connector, does the Tesla app add another set of settings for it or is it something that has to be done on the hardwire side? Or is it something completely different? I'm looking for a decent charger that's hardwired, doesn't cost more than the Wall Connector, and has a fairly easy way of regulating the amperage. With everything eventually going electric, I wouldn't mind helping a friend non-Tesla get some power, but I don't want to sweat on a 90 degree day waiting 2 hours either. Haha. Thank you for your time helping me.
No. But if you hold down the button on your WC (assuming Gen3), it will start a WiFi access point and you can connect to it and configure the maximum current. If Gen2, you need to open it up and set the switches appropriately. See the instruction manual for your WC. If Gen3, the WiFi password should be somewhere in the original box or on the manual, and there's additionally a QR code somewhere on or in the unit with the WiFi password on it if you scan it.

By the way, if your motivation for doing this is to avoid drawing too much current for your breaker/wiring, you should have done it this way to begin with. You should never allow the EVSE to advertise more current than your wiring, breaker, or panel can handle and rely solely on the car to throttle the amount of current it takes. This is unsafe.

It's a 100 amp service panel, I'm running 6/3 Romex, and putting in a 50 amp breaker. I have all gas heating/appliances. But in the summer I can run up to 5 AC window units which can draw upward of 44 amps, plus a microwave of 11 amps. So with everything on, I have balance of 25 amps. Which doesn't include lights or anything else plugged in. Point being, being able to control the amperage from my phone would be clutch. And I don't mind charging at 16 amps overnight, but I'd like the ability to charge at 40 amps under the right conditions.

It's a 100 amp service panel
You really shouldn’t be running a 50-amp circuit with only a 100-amp service panel. It will be better if you install a 14-30 (30 amp “dryer”) outlet and use a 30-amp breaker. Using the Tesla 14–30 adapter you will get a 24-amp charge, which looks like it will be within range. There is no harm in running 6/3 wire, especially if you want to keep your options open, although a 30-amp circuit only needs 10/3 wire.

BTW, be sure to use a commercial grade outlet and a GFIC breaker.

You really shouldn’t be running a 50-amp circuit with only a 100-amp service panel.
Why not? The panel can easily handle it, as long as the other loads aren't all on simultaneously. Why limit to 24A (30A breaker w/ 80% rule) when you can charge at 40A? I highly doubt that all of the AC units are going to be running on high at night, and on top of that, the microwave is unlikely to be on for longer than 2-3 minutes. If it's still a big issue, there's always the option of getting a service upgrade, but if all of the major appliances are gas, I don't think it's going to even be an issue. A lot of appliances don't actually draw as much current as indicated on their nameplate either; my central AC unit for example draws ~13A.

Reactions: Rocky_H and headhz
I'll probably just go with the Wall Connector and put in a 40 amp breaker. I live alone and am pretty conscience of what is running in my house. 60 and 50 amp breakers are 'probably' too high. And I don't have to worry about it. Plus, if a service panel upgrade needs to be done, then I'll put in a 50 amp. Thank you for everyone's replies. It's a big help.

Why not? The panel can easily handle it, as long as the other loads aren't all on simultaneously. Why limit to 24A (30A breaker w/ 80% rule) when you can charge at 40A? I highly doubt that all of the AC units are going to be running on high at night, and on top of that, the microwave is unlikely to be on for longer than 2-3 minutes. If it's still a big issue, there's always the option of getting a service upgrade, but if all of the major appliances are gas, I don't think it's going to even be an issue. A lot of appliances don't actually draw as much current as indicated on their nameplate either; my central AC unit for example draws ~13A.

A load calculation should be done by an electrician. "I doubt XXX will be on while YYY is on " is not something that anyone should be PLANNING on with their electrical system. Either a load calculation supports that size circuit, or it doesnt. Self managing that type of thing is never the right answer if the load calc doesnt support it.

Reactions: Mrbrock and headhz
I'll probably just go with the Wall Connector and put in a 40 amp breaker. I live alone and am pretty conscience of what is running in my house. 60 and 50 amp breakers are 'probably' too high. And I don't have to worry about it. Plus, if a service panel upgrade needs to be done, then I'll put in a 50 amp. Thank you for everyone's replies. It's a big help.
This is a reasonable compromise. Besides with a wall connector you will have the option of dialing it down to 30A. And with a wall connector you only need a standard breaker ($10 versus $100+) and no commercial grade outlet at around $80! And I think there is still a federal tax credit if you install a wall connector, form 8911 I believe.

Good luck!

Reactions: headhz
I did talk to an electrician about this. He recommended a service panel upgrade with the 50 amp breaker. He also said, I would be fine with a 50 amp breaker on a 100 amp service panel, because it's extremely unlikely everything would be on at the same time. He said most service panels have more breakers totaling more than the actual service breaker.

BUT>>>> YES, the correct response it to upgrade your service panel.

I'm aware of the risk I'm implying/implementing. The safe/legal answer is have an electrician do the job. Which I am. I'm running the 6/3 Romex from end to end. He's going to wire to the box for me, because I'm not touching that. I just wanted to see if there was a way of remotely turning down the amperage from the app on a non-Tesla EV. In the winter my electric bill is almost non-excitant other than paying for 'service,' but in the summer it's a bit higher. I want everyone to be safe.

Reactions: X-pilot
I did talk to an electrician about this. He recommended a service panel upgrade with the 50 amp breaker. He also said, I would be fine with a 50 amp breaker on a 100 amp service panel, because it's extremely unlikely everything would be on at the same time. He said most service panels have more breakers totaling more than the actual service breaker.

BUT>>>> YES, the correct response it to upgrade your service panel.

I'm aware of the risk I'm implying/implementing. The safe/legal answer is have an electrician do the job. Which I am. I'm running the 6/3 Romex from end to end. He's going to wire to the box for me, because I'm not touching that. I just wanted to see if there was a way of remotely turning down the amperage from the app on a non-Tesla EV. In the winter my electric bill is almost non-excitant other than paying for 'service,' but in the summer it's a bit higher. I want everyone to be safe.
Is your service line overhead or underground? If it's overhead, doing a service upgrade is cheap (and by "cheap" I mean it should be able to be done for under $5K). If it's underground and requires trenching, it will easily run into 5 figure territory.

If you'd rather not do a service upgrade, there are also devices from DCC Electric that are designed to load share between EV charging and other devices, in a scenario where you're worried about maxing out your panel: DCC Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging for Condos or Full Panel Homes They contain a current sensing device and if the current through the panel goes too high, they'll automatically cut power to the EV charger, and then restore it when the load on the panel is lower. This allows you to exclude the EV charger from any load calculation because it's assured that it won't be running if the other loads are also high, while still allowing maximum current to the EV if the other loads on the panel are low.

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot and headhz
Yeah, I'm not spending $5k. LOL.

Your second suggestion is amazing. I didn't know they had things like that available. I did a bit of research on the website to see. That particular brand requires a minimum 100A service panel for a 50A breaker which works for me, but I will do more leg work and see what I can do. Thank you!

Yeah, I'm not spending $5k. LOL.
So my 400A panel was about $4K (that included materials plus labor). Then I had about $7K worth of trenching costs (that's why I went all the way to 400A instead of 200A; I don't ever want to have to do that again). and the 200A subpanel cost around $2K. But 200A panels are much cheaper. And I'm not sure what the labor is in your area. It's high here because of living costs; it's probably lower in your area. Doesn't hurt to at least get an estimate.
Your second suggestion is amazing. I didn't know they had things like that available. I did a bit of research on the website to see. That particular brand requires a minimum 100A service panel for a 50A breaker which works for me, but I will do more leg work and see what I can do. Thank you!
Keep in mind that those DCC boxes cost around $1K, plus installation. So you can spend money on load sharing, or you can spend money on service upgrades. A service upgrade will cost more than a load sharing device but any money spent on load sharing devices cannot later be spent on service upgrades if you change your mind. That was kind of the dilemma I faced when I was trying to decide if I should put a subpanel with more breaker slots and see if I could have two EVs on my old main panel or just bite the bullet and do the service upgrade. I chose the latter option, but I have an electric stove and oven. At least it sounds like it wouldn't be as painful for you to do a service upgrade because your service line isn't underground.

Reactions: headhz
Point being, being able to control the amperage from my phone would be clutch.
But it's just how this works. The charging points don't get controlled, so that's not what you are controlling with your phone. They announce how many amps are available, but it's the car that is what you are controlling to turn down the amps. There are some few kinds of charging devices that let you switch their configuration somewhat easily as to how many amps they will announce, but that's rare.

But it's just how this works. The charging points don't get controlled, so that's not what you are controlling with your phone. They announce how many amps are available, but it's the car that is what you are controlling to turn down the amps. There are some few kinds of charging devices that let you switch their configuration somewhat easily as to how many amps they will announce, but that's rare.
Right...it's dumb! We should be able to tell the EV, here's what's available.

It's not really dumb, because this is a really weird and obscure circumstance where anyone would have any reason to do this. And it's not really an appropriate thing to do anyway, as the charging device should be matched up in what it is offering to the circuit level it is on. So this shouldn't really be a normal feature of this kind of equipment. And if anyone would be doing this, the more proper place to do it is from the car instead of the charging device. But anyway.......you can, but it's not quick and simple. Tesla's wall connectors have a wi-fi accessible interface. So you can use your phone, connect to the wi-fi hotspot of the wall connector, and change the configuration to turn it down to one of the lower settings.

It's not really dumb, because this is a really weird and obscure circumstance where anyone would have any reason to do this.
Maybe not a person dynamically changing the EVSE advertised charge rate but it's something you want it to do when the power source is from your own solar array. You want the EVSE to advertise the available solar output (minus other things being powered), at any given instant, so you don't have to draw and pay for power from the grid.

There are EVSEs available that are able to do this.

Last edited:
No, you don't ever want the EVSE to advertise that there's more current available than there actually is, so the solution would be an EVSE that dynamically adjusts its available current. And this exists in some sense when EVSEs do load sharing. But there is no commercially available home EVSE that can look at (total amount of load on the panel - total load currently going through the EVSE) and then adjust based on that. Think about how much this would cost: you need current detectors on the service line and control circuitry that dynamically adjusts to the input. Telling the car to throttle back is something that's specific to Teslas and quite frankly I don't know why they allow their cars to do this. If your EVSE is advertising more current than is actually available, that's an issue that you need to correct because it's unsafe. And furthermore, this "feature" allows people to game the system on public EVSEs that have idle fees when they finish charging; turn it all the way down to 5A and just let it charge all day so you can park in EV charging instead of letting someone else charge.