Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Convertible Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
I ran across this parked on the street today:

Convertible Model 3.jpg

The owner said it was the first one, but that there would be a couple more in a few days... He was leaving in a hurry so I didn't get to ask any questions about how they did it.

I ran across this parked on the street today:

convertible-model-3-jpg.508638

The owner said it was the first one, but that there would be a couple more in a few days... He was leaving in a hurry so I didn't get to ask any questions about how they did it.
Honestly, this is frugly!

However, I wonder if they really cut the whole roof and make something as clean a this Maserati GranTurismo:

best-convertibles-Maserati-GranTurismo-GranCabrio-gear-patrol-small.jpg

Or if they only removed the top ceiling glass, but they didn't make any change to the metal body part, because you still
need to keep the arch above the doors for the airbags, and the middle beam above the front seat to keep the integrity of the car.

May be the car was damaged by a falling tree, so the two ceiling glass were cracked and they wanted to keep the money from he insurance?

But why not just install some sliding vinyl like this PT cruiser:

oo2003ASCPTCruiserBigSky.jpg

Anyway, instead of the vinyl cover, it would be nicer to use some removable or articulated covers like the "T-top" Porsche Targa?

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
However, I wonder if they really cut the whole roof and make something as clean a this Maserati GranTurismo:

best-convertibles-Maserati-GranTurismo-GranCabrio-gear-patrol-small.jpg

Or if they only removed the top ceiling glass, but they didn't make any change to the metal body part, because you still
need to keep the arch above the doors for the airbags, and the middle beam above the front seat to keep the integrity of the car.

I couldn't see everything, but there was still a cross bar between the B pillars.(You can't get rid of the B pillars or AP would be very unhappy, not to mention that is where the BT is to unlock the car.)

That is horrifying and I can only imagine what it does for the aero. Might as well throw some 22’s on there and feature it in a music video.
From my experience with convertibles on freeway, only the front row, driver and passenger can enjoy it. But you need to have a vertical window or wall mesh behind your head otherwise you get too much turbulance, and you need to wear an heavy jacket like when you ride a motrcycle.

About the second row, unless there is a second windshild, you get all the wind in your face and all the noise from the wind. So you will feel sick all the following day.

A LOT of the structural integrity of the car is in the roof- real convertibles require a lot of engineering to get around that issue.

Normally I would agree but I wonder if this car still isn't more sound than most given that huge rigid skateboard/battery in the bottom. I do recall, however, seeing Truckula bend a bit when they first cut the back out of it so there's that.

Not my kinda of drop top, oh wait Tesla (will someday) builds one - the new Roadster, kinda. Yeah I'd take a new Roadster!

Normally I would agree but I wonder if this car still isn't more sound than most given that huge rigid skateboard/battery in the bottom. I do recall, however, seeing Truckula bend a bit when they first cut the back out of it so there's that.

Not my kinda of drop top, oh wait Tesla (will someday) builds one - the new Roadster, kinda. Yeah I'd take a new Roadster!

Tesla Model 3 shows off insane roof strength in multi-car pileup

The IIHS said:
The Institute’s results also demonstrate the exceptional strength of Model 3’s all-glass roof, which is supported by a very strong metal body structure and helps protect occupants in roll-over crashes. During testing, the car’s roof was able to successfully resist more than 20,000 pounds of force – that’s more than if we placed five Model 3s on top of the car’s roof at once. And, the roof earned a higher strength-to-weight ratio score than any other fully electric vehicle that IIHS has ever tested

Reactions: Msjulie