Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Converting his 60 to an 85: the david Nolan story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what a waste of $10,000!

then again, who am I to say what the value is, in $$ terms, of convenience. But I just keep thinking about how many Pano roofs, tech packages, etc he gave up.. even tho he says he doesn't want\need them.

Yup. What a waste. My wife and I wasted more than that to get the color of car we wanted when there were only 4 choices, back in the days of Signature. It was that important. We didn't have any windfalls. We had already ponied up 3 to 4 times the money we had ever spent on any previous car. And being a Signature, we got all the bells and whistles whether we wanted them or not.

What a waste.

We got the most beautiful car on the planet nearly a year ahead of the crowd, have 33,000 fantastic amazing miles on a car that doesn't get old. The most common comment we get is, "What a gorgeous car. I love the color."

What a waste of $10,000. We have never been sorry. So that's the bottom line. People spend their life savings, or their windfall, on what they want. For some, it will be a Ford F350 with extra cab, and tow package, and some other will opt for latest tech in cell phones and TVs and computers. Every one of us will look at someone else's choices and say, "What a waste". I'm glad I was able to waste it on this car.

Ok, I'll be the first to ask this question. I have a 60 in Norcal and its range is more than enough for my driving.

But now I find out that my car is software limited to 302hp. I would love to pay Tesla to unlock the extra HP while still staying on the 60!

This probably comes back to the EV relation:

Capacity ~ range ~ performance ~ charging rate ~ 1/C rate.

Smaller battery apacity means higher C rate for same performance compared to larger battery. For longevity, you want lower C Rate. So, software limiting just means that the battery, inverter and motor are capable of more, they don't let you in order to protect the battery.

David Nolan is such a drama queen. He's starting to chafe my nerves.
I still read all the articles. All these 'data points' and events in the life of Tesla will make it what it is tomorrow. Even seemingly negative events. Sure seems that the NYT article helped bring SC closer together and possibly speeded up some planning. I'm sure there is a "theory" about this give/take or ebb/flow. Inspect and adapt.

Tesla has already said that with battery technology getting better has time goes on that new battery over 100Kwh will be available in the coming years. I believe the money will go much farther in the future. The supercharger team is also committed to 150 mile spacing. I'm sure people's patience is getting tested though.

I'm sure we'll see higher capacity batteries in the future, but IMHO they will be more geared towards performance rather than being marketed for range reasons. As the supercharger network grows and as the charging technology improves such that charge times become minimal, we really won't need to be driving around with heavy large capacity batteries unless you need the juice for performance reasons. I think it will be similar to how the more efficient ICE cars these days have smaller gas tanks but similar range to those that are less efficient but have large gas tanks.

I have a 60. I played with the idea of upgrading to an 85. But it boils down to this. I couldn't justify the $8k when I first bought the car. I certainly can't justify $17k now, five months later.
Living in the Pacific Northwest, a CHAdeMO adapter is the much more economical solution. And long trips for me are the exception, anyway (that said, I'll drive 350 miles in the next 27h) :)