TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Corning/Painted Post Supercharger Updates

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Tedkidd, Jun 18, 2015.

1. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

My bad. I selected Binghampton by mistake... Thats pretty easy in any weather as you said...

2. croman

croman Active Member

Yes that is too much hence this awesome future option. Recent weather has been giving me 250wh mi. I could, theoretically, do 300 miles with that.

Anything below 290s is exceeding rated range, so I've not stressed about most routes but i86 was in need of love. I'd prefer another around Olean if possible just to give more options on stops.

3. John Stuckey

John Stuckey Member

This is great news. The Corning Glassworks is on our bucket list.

4. djinn1

djinn1 Member

Any updates? driving to Rochester on Friday, but will have to use ICE if Erwin isn't open.... oooh so close ....

• Like x 1
  5. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

The Museum of Glass there is reportedly well worth a visit!

6. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

Photos or you weren't really there... ;-)

7. Szyentyst

Szyentyst New Member

Erwin site is close. I work just up the hill and have monitored since the Erwin "pin" showed up. 10 bays located at a Dunkin Donuts. IMG_20170619_092142-03.jpeg

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 4
  8. ronald.alberico@

terrific thanks for the update!

9. 1101011

1101011 Proud TSLA/SCTY shareholder since 2012.

I appreciate your help here. A planned trip would depend on this particular SpC.

10. Villa-Lobos

Villa-Lobos Member

With I 80 still not complete this will be a welcome alternative going east from Ohio. Plus a more beautiful drive than I 90 IMO without the tolls.

11. realvvk

realvvk Member

I am eagerly waiting for this. I go to Toronto that way at least once a year. I hate I-90.

12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Looks like there's an empty slab with protective posts waiting patiently in the background..
    Just needs the transformer and meter there?
    (It seems that that type of setup has one post they can remove when they're putting it in.)

13. JSergeant

JSergeant Member

I'm planning a trip to Alfred, NY next week in my S90D. Since it looks doubtful that Erwin will be open, I'll be doing a full charge at Binghampton. After staying overnight in Alfred, we plan to head over to Erie, PA. My planning shows that Binghampton to Alfred is 131 miles and then Alfred to Erie is 142 miles, which is a bit tight. (I haven't been able to run it through EVTripplanner which seems to be down at the moment.)

Plugshare shows various Level 2 chargers along the route, including:

Olean - 2 J1772's at Kohl's
    Salamanca - City Hall J1772 and Allegany State Park NEMA 14-50
    Jamestown - a couple of different locations with J1772's

My plan is to stop in Olean and charge for an hour or two, with Salamanca and Jamestown as back ups.

I'm wondering if I could make it without the Level 2 charging. I'm not averse to a challenge - I did a day trip from NJ to Boston back in 2013 when the only Supercharger was in Milford, CT. I did Las Vegas to Beaver, UT back before St Georges was open without using any level 2's in between, both in an S85 and I've done Winnipeg to Regina to Saskatoon to Calgary without benefit of SpC's.

The limiting factor is my wife, who is not going to be happy seeing 10 miles of range to spare on a 142 mile trip, plus I've heard it can be windy up in that area.

Does anyone have any experience of this trip and any helpful suggestions? Which Level 2's are good or bad etc?

I did note that there's a J1772 at Alfred State College, which despite it's name, is in Wellsville, about 15 miles from where we are staying in Alfred. I'd have to do two hours of charging just to make up for the round trip before I get any benefit from that, and I'd run the risk of it not working or being unavailable, which is too bad.

14. 1101011

Would 110v charging overnight in Alfred make the difference?

15. JSergeant

JSergeant Member

Yes, I guess it would.

16. 1101011

Good luck.

17. Szyentyst

Szyentyst New Member

Wanted to follow up to this comment. Below is an image I should have also posted of what was "behind" the view of the original. Looks like they will put a roof over it with the unfilled cement tubes? NYSEG was there this morning doing something to the adjacent lines. To be continued... IMG_20170623_093215-01.jpeg
    New view of SCs with aesthetic rocks and "coming soon" covers.
    IMG_20170623_093208-01.jpeg

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  18. ronald.alberico@

19. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

The new "coming soon" bags are great!

Yes, encourage curiosity in the general public!!

20. Stasla

Stasla Member

Planning to be in Corning on Mon or Tue next week. Wonder how long to usually takes from the "coming soon bags" to go live? If it lit up this weekend would be awesome!