Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2020-3-11_9-39-26.png

I'm going to send this to our mgmt at work. that's a great starting set of points!

we currently have free lunch at work (have since we started) and its buffet style, employees serve themselves. I'm thinking that that has to stop, asap. either pre-portions (no one likes that) or servers for each dish, handling the serving spoons/etc, all wearing gloves and ideally masks. yeah, its not wonderful - but if you're going to have a buffet, please don't put people at risk. my solution (for me, personally) is to give it entirely up, for now, until everything settles down.

how safe is our food preparation 'chain'? everything that touches food, do the workers KNOW the right thing to do, now? I highly doubt it.

given the absolute lowest pay that fast-food workers get, I stopped considering fast food take-outs.

its ok if you think I'm taking it too far; but I'm an older guy (nearly 60) and I'd like to go on for a nice, long time, if I can help it.

Reactions: guidooo and Dr. J
we currently have free lunch at work (have since we started) and its buffet style, employees serve themselves. I'm thinking that that has to stop, asap. either pre-portions (no one likes that) or servers for each dish, handling the serving spoons/etc, all wearing gloves and ideally masks. yeah, its not wonderful - but if you're going to have a buffet, please don't put people at risk. my solution (for me, personally) is to give it entirely up, for now, until everything settles down.

Sounds like the average school cafeteria or work cafe. Not sure what not to like about.

My family has given up eating anywhere that has customer touch points with the food. And if it’s served fast casual, there better be a glass separation. So many hungry folks waiting in front of food trays and talking while waiting for the servers to scoop seems like an invitation for germ to travel. That means no catered food unless it’s pre-packaged/plated.

how safe is our food preparation 'chain'? everything that touches food, do the workers KNOW the right thing to do, now? I highly doubt it.

given the absolute lowest pay that fast-food workers get, I stopped considering fast food take-outs.

eat everything cooked and hot, no salad, no bread, just like visiting a third world country with a gastro reputation. I ironically think fast food pizza is cooked immediately prior to packaging, its probably better than many other options! (ahem salad rolls)

Sounds like the average school cafeteria or work cafe. Not sure what not to like about.

we like freedom, we're americans ;) we like to pick what we want, how much of it, etc.

but now it calls for modified behavior, and we have to think about it and all practice it.

in security concepts (I do that at work, on occasion) there is a notion of 'chain of trust'. we kind of need to know that our food has such a chain of trust; that every step it takes is done in the proper way and with some kind of checks/balances.

we have never had really tight requirements. don't get me wrong, US food prep standards are quite a lot better than many countries, but there's so much more that can be done, especially now.

a real leader would understand this, setup a system to make it work and explain it to the country.

....man, we're farked. so totally and royally farked.

This is probably the best way to spread infections. Everyone touching the serving spoons one after another - and then eating.

agreed and understood. I stopped going about a week ago and I guess I'm going to stay away 100% just to play it safe.

as the standing joke goes, I'm in IT (sort of) and so I'm quite used to the whole social distancing thing; have been my whole life (LOL)

we like freedom, we're americans ;) we like to pick what we want, how much of it, etc.

but now it calls for modified behavior, and we have to think about it and all practice it.

Yup.
That freedom Americans enjoy is what is causing some to drag their feet and really counter the spread right now. And there’s no consensus among how to go about it either across the US. You’ll always have those pockets of “I’ll deal with it when I see it.” Doesn’t help that some national and local leaders aren’t all aboard the same boat either.

Here, in CA, the lowly ranked Sharks are abiding by the no public gathering request from the county, while the even lower ranked Warriors are rejecting all requests to do so. Then you have a player like LeBron who said he’d only play if fans are in attendance.

Oh, and Tesla is probably the last remaining big name company in Silicon Valley that has yet to recommend work from home for their employees (obviously the factory would is a different situation).

Last edited:
Reactions: aubreymcfato
Please use this thread to share relevant and helpful COVID information and do not post stream of consciousness or your reaction to each and every post.

Before hitting Post Reply — Consider if what you are about to post is really true contribution to info collected in this thread or is otherwise a public service to humanity — as I hope this post is.