Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New numbers for WA.

267 +ve/ 2175 -ve. 24 deaths.

But here is the shocker.

Public Health — Seattle & King County confirmed Tuesday that is working with 10 nursing-home facilities where residents or employees have tested positive:
ps : We are seeing a pattern here. A lot of people are infected in the community. They go and visit their elderly relatives in nursing homes who actually get seriously ill.

New numbers for WA.

But here is the shocker.

Public Health — Seattle & King County confirmed Tuesday that is working with 10 nursing-home facilities where residents or employees have tested positive:
ps : We are seeing a pattern here. A lot of people are infected in the community. They go and visit their elderly relatives in nursing homes who actually get seriously ill.
Or it could be the workers who rotate between facilities. If it is in the community we will see a lot more non nursing home deaths in the coming days

• Informative
Reactions: renim

EXACTLY. People are forgetting that even with the BEST precautions (ahem, the nurse in Seattle that was in FULL PROTECTIVE GEAR at the nursing home - and STILL got infected), they are far from fool-proof, and without proper training . . . forget it.

No.

It's not about being "foolproof". It's about reducing the probability of infection.

And masks do just that.

Can a face mask stop coronavirus? Covid-19 facts checked

Studies show as much as a fivefold reduction in transmission when in close contact with a person with COVID-19. No, they do not protect you as in "give you 100% protection on their own". But they do protect you as in "significantly reduce your risk of contracting the disease when in close contact with an infected person". They block aerosols (to varying degrees, depending on the type of the mask, how properly it's used, etc). They stop you from touching your mouth and nose. They do good, even though they do not offer complete protection.

That said, just wearing one when you're walking down the street or whatnot does nothing. Because that's not how the disease is transmitted. It's transmitted by close (<2m) contact (yes, there are exceptions, but they're not normal), and contaminated surfaces. The biggest argument against stocking up on masks is that many places that actually need masks (such as hospitals) are having trouble getting them in sufficient quantity.

In short: when it comes to masks, follow the instructions of your local health authorities. If they want you using them, use them. If they don't want you using them, don't. It will vary from place to place.

----

Also while we're at it: anyone who tells you "hand sanitizer does no good, only soap; hand sanitizer is for bacteria" is also wrong. WHO recommends either hand sanitizer or soap for general hand disinfection against COVID-19. However, if the hands are visibly dirty, only soap is appropriate.

Hand sanitizer works by denaturing proteins. Proteins fold differently in alcohol vs. in water. Disrupting the shape of a protein disrupts its functionality. Encapsulated viruses, such as COVID-19, are particularly vulnerable to this (non-encapsulated viruses, such as novovirus, are relatively resistant to hand sanitizers).

ok, this is a new 'thing', it seems.

go to this url, enter the song and artist and it will create a poster for you ;)

Wash Your Lyrics

here's one:

View attachment 520367

Nerd version:
IMG_0365(1).jpg

Or it could be the workers who rotate between facilities.

this is exactly my thought, "healthy (young probably)", asymptomatic medical or other institutional staff, rotating between facilities and sharing the corona love.

it's the medical staff who matter most, they are also the critical link

the institutions all have annual experience with flu, so there is a lot of expertise (ie italy health care), but there is something different between wuhan coronavirus, and common cold / flu.

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
New numbers for WA.

But here is the shocker.

Sad

this is exactly my thought, "healthy (young probably)", asymptomatic medical or other institutional staff, rotating between facilities and sharing the corona love.

it's the medical staff who matter most, they are also the critical link

the institutions all have annual experience with flu, so there is a lot of expertise (ie italy health care), but there is something different between wuhan coronavirus, and common cold / flu.
Yes - staff being the cause is possible. But they would be infecting more than just the residents. Family members of the staff - and their contacts - and their contacts …. if this has been going around for 3 or 4 weeks.

It took about 1 1/2 months for the disease to explode in Wuhan. We are right around that time in Seattle - probably a week behind Lombardy.

ps : The fact that only 3 old people in the community have been fatally infected is curious. Either not that many old people live here or they don't socialize much in this weather.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Yes - staff being the cause is possible. But they would be infecting more than just the residents. Family members of the staff - and their contacts - and their contacts …. if this has been going around for 3 or 4 weeks.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2761044
it seems medical institutions can be very effective vectors for the infection, perhaps because people are already physically compromised.
(More so than say, family members)

My crackpot theory:

Honestly, the panic and overwhelming gratuitous response to coronavirus seems like a warning drill for some other health issue that might hit society in the future as climate change gets worse.

Just a theory.

ok, meme time! yay!

thisisfine.png

(for some reason, this is a very often-posted image. not sure why, but it is.)

it does get the point across, yes?

Here’s an info graphic from Santa Clara County, which has been the worst so far in CA.

Notice, that age range. Although it infects mostly the old and sick, it does not discriminate against the young.

Also, it’s a small sample size relative to the global numbers, but the hospitalization rate locally is ~50%, and half of those require ICU stay.

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/Di...ographic-Santa-Clara-County-CoronaVirus_8.pdf

Edit: Obviously, this also only represents those that were tested.

Last edited:
ok, meme time! yay!

View attachment 520395

(for some reason, this is a very often-posted image. not sure why, but it is.)

it does get the point across, yes?

If we don't have critical infrastructure in place for our ability to adapt and stay and get healthy, then we're not going to be able to combat the major changes that are constantly being warned about by, of all places, the UN and mostly every scientist on the planet for a decade.

so, I'm WFH today (wfh = 'work from home'; everyone knows that abbreviation, right?) and I get a paper letter wedged in my apartment door. I open the door, look down the hallway and every apartment has one. management has some notes on the CV situation, telling us that they may close if they have to, building services might be emergency-only, take care of yourselves. kind of like:

blazingsaddlessyoyo.png

(OT: if you have not seen 'blazing saddles' by mel brooks, its worth a see.)

anyway, its great that the building mgmt is thinking about us and giving us some helpful advice.

except....

they gave the advice on a printed sheet of paper.

everyone, here, has email. (I think you have to, now; to get a lease at most large complexes). email is safe, gets the point across, does not waste paper, does not need some person to go building to building, floor to floor delivering a sheet of paper.

I called the office and tried to explain the divide-by-zero thing they were just doing (well, not in those terms; I'm speaking to management, I have to talk slow and use smaller words) - they just didn't get it. I told them to think about it, talk to their management, even talk to legal if they have to, but RETHINK THE PAPER DISTRIBUTION IDEA.

I'm not sure they understood, but at least I tried.

gonna be an interesting ride; those that want to take precautions, and those that put the rest of us at risk ;(

EVNow RE Washington nursing homes: The same first responders probably cover several homes and get multiple calls to each per month. I read an article where they suffered many cases of the virus due to their treatment of patients. I don't remember how many are in isolation now. So that may be a common thread.
Of the 9 tested one was positive. The nursing homes are quite widespread too and in different cities - so, unlikely to share firefighters. But sharing some staff is likely.