Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife had 2 doses of Pfizer. First dose little to no problem. Second dose no problem until about 3 days after then she felt weak and dizzy for a day. No idea how that relates to Moderna but looking forward to your comments. Stay safe and best of luck.

At 9 hours, I have a very sore arm. Same for the wife, who got her 2nd dose today as well. Soreness is definitely a level above the first shot.

So my wife gets bloodwork done more than most due to pre-existing conditions...

So she pulled up her recent Hematocrit results chart and saw this:
View attachment 634031

Guess which part of the graph shows when she was in the hospital with COVID. As has been reported, this virus can mess with your blood so it doesn't carry oxygen well.

Yes . . . but us doctors and nurses are also . . . vampires . . . and hemodiluters.

More specifically, we LOVE to draw blood, and we LOVE to give IV fluids.

My point, that substantial drop is probably multi-factoral, not all attributable to COVID-19.

My wife says it means it's working. So now you'll have super powers like her. But still wear a mask or two.

Actually, it's probably more around the 16-24h mark that you start building an immune reaction.

Remember, with mRNA vaccines, the cells of your body must take up the vaccine, then transcribe the mRNA into proteins, those proteins must be transported to the cell surface, and THEN once all that happens, you have to wait for the existing antibodies you have developed to bind to the expressed proteins and recruit macrophages, etc. to act as antigen-presenting cells to ramp up your plasma/B memory cells to divide and produce antibodies.

Compared to a traditional vaccine where you just inject the protein itself and it is readily available in between the cells for your body to start the immune process, instead of needing to transcribe, build, and transport the protein to the muscle cell membrane.

The immediate reaction at the injection site is most likely an immune response to the carrier fluid that the vaccine is suspended in, not the actual S-protein itself.

As a completely aside note, this location was dispensing both Moderna and Pfizer vaccines. If you were there for your 2nd shot, they were matching you up with the same brand you got the first time.

Interestingly, the nurse that administered my vaccine said they had received new handling instructions for the Pfizer vaccine: they were not to shake the vial, or to flick syringes to try to remove bubbles (so they had dedicated staff drawing up doses very carefully). Apparently the suspension is considered "fragile". There were no such restrictions with the Moderna vaccine handling at this time.

Just got 2nd Moderna dose.

Have blocked off the weekend to deal with potential side-effects.

Keep us updated. Compared to first shot.

Monday we are getting our second shot (Moderna).
Planning a trip to Florida to look at Condos a week after second shot..
Down to our last box of 14 year old N95 masks.

Did not notice any effect with first shot. Wife had an itchy arm.

Always mention which vaccine used.

Keep us updated. Compared to first shot.

Monday we are getting our second shot (Moderna).
Planning a trip to Florida to look at Condos a week after second shot..
Down to our last box of 14 year old N95 masks.

Did not notice any effect with first shot. Wife had an itchy arm.

Same here. First shot was just a bit of a sore arm for a few hours.

• Informative
Reactions: HG Wells
Do they use an adjuvant ?

Yes/no/we are not sure.

Based upon this article:
COVID-19 Vaccine Frontrunners and Their Nanotechnology Design
"Moderna does not explicitly state the use of an adjuvant, but the LNP carrier may be an adjuvant since other lipids have been reported to have adjuvant properties."

With mRNA technology, I would suspect a significant portion of the carrier fluid is "proprietary tech" and they don't disclose the chemical composition. That tech is actually more valuable than the mRNA itself, which we have been able to build for decades now. There are some modifications to the mRNA, to improve stability, and those could also be considered proprietary.

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
If one practices intermittent fasting, would it be beneficial for the immune response to proceed fasting after the vaccine shot, or should one abstain from fasting? Assuming all relevant vitamine and mineral levels are filled up before.

After last night, I don't think you will want to eat much when you get the 2nd shot. By bedtime, my appetite had dropped to pretty much zero.

Here is a rough timeline of what happened last night:
- malaise (moderate) - began at ~11h after shot, continues so far (20.5h post-shot as of right now)
- headache (mild) - began at ~16h after shot, continues so far
- body aches (mild) - began at ~13h after shot, mostly resolved by 18h
- fever (low-grade at 99.7 to 100.7) - began at 15h after shot, resolved by 19h
- chills (substantial) - wound up taking a hot shower to get warm, began at 15h, resolved by 19h

I'm amazed at how rapid a progression through the symptoms I experienced. I was like having the flu, compressed into less than a day.

Was it worth it? YES.
Will some people complain and use this as a reason not to get vaccinated? Possibly.

Sore if I touched the arm for a couple of days, but not sore otherwise (even rowing 1K didn't affect it). Moderna.

Fellow rower eh? Man, I haven't thought about that sport in 25 years.

Funny about the arm, my 11yo daughter decided to grab my wife's arm (intentionally) and nearly got smacked into oblivion for it. Soreness definitely seems more substantial with the 2nd shot.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
After last night, I don't think you will want to eat much when you get the 2nd shot. By bedtime, my appetite had dropped to pretty much zero.

Here is a rough timeline of what happened last night:
- malaise (moderate) - began at ~11h after shot, continues so far (20.5h post-shot as of right now)
- headache (mild) - began at ~16h after shot, continues so far
- body aches (mild) - began at ~13h after shot, mostly resolved by 18h
- fever (low-grade at 99.7 to 100.7) - began at 15h after shot, resolved by 19h
- chills (substantial) - wound up taking a hot shower to get warm, began at 15h, resolved by 19h

I'm amazed at how rapid a progression through the symptoms I experienced. I was like having the flu, compressed into less than a day.
What are the thoughts on taking an anti inflammatory like naproxen, acetaminophen, etc.? Or anything else?