Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people are not wearing masks in Las Vegas after the mask mandate lifted. Our vaccination rate is ok but would be better if higher, esp with visitors.
try “Floriduh”
where the US senator, Rick “skeletor” Scott, has introduced legislation, so no one needs proof of vaccination to board airplanes,
the governor Ron “De-Satanis” wants same for the floating, plague rat, petrie dishes, of large cruise ships the same

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Potentially some flattening in cases now, though likely it is primarily due to weekly reporting issues, since last Monday was a holiday. Still, looks like under-vaccinated states are leading the charge on the "plateauing." Alabama, Texas, Nevada showing (small) interesting upticks.

B.1.617.2 has increased in relative prevalence of course over the last three weeks by a factor of 4 (it's 6% or more of cases now in the US). So that means in absolute numbers the cases are up for this variant. I guess we'll see. We'd expect that to be a bigger problem in those communities relying on natural immunity.

I personally think it is still a tough road for the virus, but vaccination rates are extraordinarily low in some of these states, for sure. I guess we'll see what happens when the heat and humidity drives people indoors.

Hope we can fix this vaccination problem. I do wonder what is happening behind the scenes. Don't want to push too hard openly, probably...might be counter-productive in some states. It's hard to deal with insanity.

The good part at least is that this problem will likely solve itself.

You'd really think that at this point with these really low case levels, that test and trace and isolate would be workable. Maybe we just don't care or Americans will not be dissuaded from sharing the virus with their friends.

In other news, congratulations, we set all-time records for CO2 levels in the atmosphere over the last year. We will not be stopped, pandemic or not!

I guess I’d expect delta or a similar variant to cause problems eventually in under-vaccinated US populations. Hope we can find a way to convince people who don’t want to be vaccinated to get vaccinated. Also it seems that we need to get full approval of the vaccines ASAP! That will help too.
News from back home is grim.

People vaccinated are easily getting infected. But those with 2 doses have mild symptoms. Those with just one dose don't fare as well. Two of my cousins (one early 50s, another in 30s) died within a couple of days of developing breathing difficulties. Every house in my parent's neighborhood has had someone infected.

It seems every one in urban India by now has had a close family member get infected / die.

What does Modi do ? Push friendly media (which is like 90% now) to talk non-stop about how Chinese manufactured various variants in the lab and are releasing all over the world. How better to escape criticism of botched response ?

People vaccinated are easily getting infected. But those with 2 doses have mild symptoms. Those with just one dose don't fare as well. Two of my cousins (one early 50s, another in 30s) died within a couple of days of developing breathing difficulties.
I'm very sorry to hear that.

The data suggests the AZ and Pfizer vaccines are both extremely effective against B.1.617.x (85%+), given sufficient time after both doses have been administered. That's from the UK though where the interval was longer. Hopefully it's just as good with the shorter interval. Latest datapoint said about 70% efficacy after one dose.

More relevant to the US will be the efficacy of prior infection, since that will most strongly impact the size of the vulnerable pool.

Florida, Alabama discontinue daily Covid data reporting in shift to 'next phase' of pandemic
“Florida is transitioning into the next phase of the COVID-19 response,” the Florida Department of Health wrote in an emailed statement Monday. “As vaccinations increase and new case positivity rate decreases, the Florida Department of Health has moved to a weekly reporting schedule.”
Alabama moved to a new schedule on Monday in which the state will update case and death data three times a week and vaccination data twice a week."
---
COVID-19 weekly analysis: Cases jump 14.9% in Florida; variant cases surging in state
"New coronavirus cases leaped in Florida in the week ending Sunday, rising 14.9% as 12,049 cases were reported. The previous week had 10,483 new cases of the virus that causes COVID-19.
Florida ranked third among the states where coronavirus was spreading the fastest on a per-person basis, a USA TODAY Network analysis of Johns Hopkins University data shows. In the latest week, coronavirus cases in the United States decreased 28.3% from the week before, with 100,804 cases reported.
With 6.45% of the country's population, Florida had 11.95% of the country's cases in the last week.
Though COVID-19 cases in Florida saw a marked decline in April, those associated with variants — particularly infectious mutations monitored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention — are surging.
Variant infections increased 80% last month...
These make up just 0.8% of Florida’s over 2.3 million cases, but their increase has been astronomical.
Two months ago, Florida had fewer than 3,000 variant cases. That number has more than sextupled — a 529% spike — since March 31.
The CDC has identified five “variants of concern,” characterized by such factors as increased disease severity and hampered vaccine protection:
Alpha (B.1.1.7)
Beta (B.1.351)
Epsilon (B.1.427)
Epsilon (B.1.429)
Gamma (P.1).
All are present in Florida.
The state had the most variant infections in the country as of April 12, according to the CDC. The agency has since changed its tracking methods, rendering state-by-state comparison murky.
----
These Are the Only 4 States Where COVID Cases Are Rising | Best Life
These Are the Only 4 States Where COVID Cases Are Rising:

4-Kentucky
New cases in the last seven days: 12 cases per 100,000 people
Percent increase in the last seven days: 2 percent

3-Idaho
New cases in the last seven days: 9 cases per 100,000 people
Percent increase in the last seven days: 4 percent

2-Mississippi
New cases in the last seven days: 6 cases per 100,000 people
Percent increase in the last seven days: 6 percent

1-Alabama
New cases in the last seven days: 14 cases per 100,000 people
Percent increase in the last seven days: 115 percent

-----------------

It's not over until the calorically challenged person identifying as female sings...

Florida, Alabama discontinue daily Covid data reporting in shift to 'next phase' of pandemic
“Florida is transitioning into the next phase of the COVID-19 response,” the Florida Department of Health wrote in an emailed statement Monday. “As vaccinations increase and new case positivity rate decreases, the Florida Department of Health has moved to a weekly reporting schedule.”
Alabama moved to a new schedule on Monday in which the state will update case and death data three times a week and vaccination data twice a week."
---
COVID-19 weekly analysis: Cases jump 14.9% in Florida; variant cases surging in state
"New coronavirus cases leaped in Florida in the week ending Sunday, rising 14.9% as 12,049 cases were reported. The previous week had 10,483 new cases of the virus that causes COVID-19.
Florida ranked third among the states where coronavirus was spreading the fastest on a per-person basis, a USA TODAY Network analysis of Johns Hopkins University data shows. In the latest week, coronavirus cases in the United States decreased 28.3% from the week before, with 100,804 cases reported.
With 6.45% of the country's population, Florida had 11.95% of the country's cases in the last week.
Though COVID-19 cases in Florida saw a marked decline in April, those associated with variants — particularly infectious mutations monitored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention — are surging.
Variant infections increased 80% last month...
These make up just 0.8% of Florida’s over 2.3 million cases, but their increase has been astronomical.
Two months ago, Florida had fewer than 3,000 variant cases. That number has more than sextupled — a 529% spike — since March 31.
The CDC has identified five “variants of concern,” characterized by such factors as increased disease severity and hampered vaccine protection:
Alpha (B.1.1.7)
Beta (B.1.351)
Epsilon (B.1.427)
Epsilon (B.1.429)
Gamma (P.1).
All are present in Florida.
The state had the most variant infections in the country as of April 12, according to the CDC. The agency has since changed its tracking methods, rendering state-by-state comparison murky.
----
These Are the Only 4 States Where COVID Cases Are Rising | Best Life
These Are the Only 4 States Where COVID Cases Are Rising:

4-Kentucky
New cases in the last seven days: 12 cases per 100,000 people
Percent increase in the last seven days: 2 percent

3-Idaho
New cases in the last seven days: 9 cases per 100,000 people
Percent increase in the last seven days: 4 percent

2-Mississippi
New cases in the last seven days: 6 cases per 100,000 people
Percent increase in the last seven days: 6 percent

1-Alabama
New cases in the last seven days: 14 cases per 100,000 people
Percent increase in the last seven days: 115 percent

-----------------

It's not over until the calorically challenged person identifying as female sings...

Set up federal quarantine around those states like in zombie movies.

Reactions: cwerdna and madodel
I don't understand why DeSantis and Abbott are pandering to anti-vaxxers with these laws that companies can't ask for proof of vaccination. Even trying to force cruise ships to take anti-vax passengers, which sounds nuts. Even in Florida and Texas the hardcore anti-vaxxers who care about this are a minority.

Meanwhile here in California they are requiring that companies ask about vaccination status. The old stereotype of anti-vaxxers was granola munchers from Marin County, but Marin County is almost 90% (88.4% right now) vaccinated against COVID.

News from back home is grim.

People vaccinated are easily getting infected. But those with 2 doses have mild symptoms. Those with just one dose don't fare as well. Two of my cousins (one early 50s, another in 30s) died within a couple of days of developing breathing difficulties. Every house in my parent's neighborhood has had someone infected.

It seems every one in urban India by now has had a close family member get infected / die.

What does Modi do ? Push friendly media (which is like 90% now) to talk non-stop about how Chinese manufactured various variants in the lab and are releasing all over the world. How better to escape criticism of botched response ?

My condolences to your family. The news from India is grim. The pattern for COVID follows some for the 1918 flu pandemic, the flu hit India extremely hard, and I think fairly late in the pandemic.

I don't understand why DeSantis and Abbott are pandering to anti-vaxxers with these laws that companies can't ask for proof of vaccination. Even trying to force cruise ships to take anti-vax passengers, which sounds nuts. Even in Florida and Texas the hardcore anti-vaxxers who care about this are a minority.

Meanwhile here in California they are requiring that companies ask about vaccination status. The old stereotype of anti-vaxxers was granola munchers from Marin County, but Marin County is almost 90% (88.4% right now) vaccinated against COVID.
some of the speculation here in "Floriduh" is DeSantis/DeSatan is running for president in 2024 and is easily locking up the t***p supporter votes with the anti-vax stand

• Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911
The Covid-19 Lab Leak Theory Is a Tale of Weaponized Uncertainty
Interesting article that tries to explain both sides of the issue. Talks about the initial blowback against people that questioned the belief that SARS-COV-2 was naturally passed to humans. Also looks at why the lab leak theory was being pushed by some people who don't really care about COVID, but use this as a distraction from dealing with the pandemic itself. And basically says we will probably never know the truth since China is not known for being honest or transparent.

Came here to post this. Haha.

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS BEING TRANSMITTED TO THESE UNVACCINATED PEOPLE.

I like how the nurse was desperately trying to stick a key to her neck and failing. Should have skipped the morning shower. On that topic, do these people ever shower, or are they naturally oily?

Refresher on the physics of surface energies...

Last edited:
Came here to post this. Haha.

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS BEING TRANSMITTED TO THESE UNVACCINATED PEOPLE.

I like how the nurse was desperately trying to stick a key to her neck and failing. Should have skipped the morning shower. On that topic, do these people ever shower, or are they naturally oily?

Refresher on the physics of surface energies...

I used to be confused by various things GOP politicians did too.

But everything is explained by one thing - what motivates GOP base is the culture war. Anything and everything can be made part of the culture war by the politicians / media - and the base will follow. There is no particular reason to politicize masks or vaccines. But they align quite well with the culture war narrative - so were made part of it by the politicians.

DeSantis is planning a run for President in 2024 (if Trump doesn't run). So, expect him to be at the forefront of such efforts.