Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the correct part of your post. Spread from touching infected surfaces is thought to be a minor route of transmission.

"sustained drift over longer distances" is not a prerequisite for transmission to be airborne. You have misunderstood the use of the term.

I'm literally quoting WHO and literally citing them about how the disease does and does not spread with respect to significance of transmission (significant: droplets over short distances, fomites (infected surfaces); possible but insignificant: airborne, fecal-oral, asymptomatic regardless of route). If you have an issue with this, please take it up with WHO, not me.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...na-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

Here is a general observation.

I know we have here people who are/were in medical/health/microbiology fields. But they do not simply have the experience or expertise to "overrule" what experts at CDC, WHO, etc say.

Just as - even though I'm in tech / software for a long time - obviously someone working on the autonomous vehicle problem now have better understanding of NN/FSD.

Here is an interesting one. Steve Wozniak (apple co-founder) thinks he might be patient zero - but CDC wouldn't test him. I doubt it, though.

Steve Wozniak on Twitter

Checking out Janet’s bad cough. Started Jan. 4. We had just returned from China and may have both been patient zero in U.S. (@ West Coast Sports Institute in Santa Clara, CA)

I have been through the same run-around with the CDC. I had all the right symptoms and had been in Hong Kong at the right time (returned home Jan. 4) but could never get a test.​

How to get COVID-19 testing for free if you're not fortunate enough to live in NY where free testing is now mandatory;

:)

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 12.32.06 PM.png

Macron and France just did something that makes sense given the situation. France requisitioned all current and future stock of face masks to be available to those sick and caring for the sick.
Should be something for other countries to follow before situation gets worse.

Reactions: replicant
I wonder how far back does it go in LifeCare.

Today's new deaths in Washington state:
- A female in her 80s, resident of LifeCare, never hospitalized, died at her family home on Feb. 26
- A male in his 50s, resident of LifeCare, hospitalized at Harborview Medical Center and died on Feb. 26

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
How to get COVID-19 testing for free if you're not fortunate enough to live in NY where free testing is now mandatory;

If you’re young, feeling anxious about possibly having Cov, and worried about money, the cost of a virus test should be the absolute last thing to worry about. If you’re tested positive, your medical bills will be multiples higher than the cost of the test.
(It’s why Bernie attracts so many of the younger and poorer. Not suggesting whether he’s a good candidate or not. Just pointing out a fact.)

Reactions: Snapdragon III
If you’re young, feeling anxious about possibly having Cov, and worried about money, the cost of a virus test should be the absolute last thing to worry about. If you’re tested positive, your medical bills will be multiples higher than the cost of the test.
(It’s why Bernie attracts so many of the younger and poorer. Not suggesting whether he’s a good candidate or not. Just pointing out a fact.)

I imagine there are younger people concerned about infecting friends and family... particularly if they're >60.

But yeah... the purpose of testing is to slow/stop the spread of COVID-19. Knowing you have it doesn't change much for the individual since there's no 'cure' only supportive care.

Specifically in regard to testing.In the dark ages, circa1966, I was a Communicable Disease Epidemiologist with the US CDC, seconded to the NYC Department of Health. Back then every single person who asked was tested. Every diagnosed case was investigated and both personal contacts and several clustering concept were used to help test everyone who was potential exposed to the diseases we were seeking to eradicate.More than 50 countries cooperated with similar programs. By late-1970’s the three target diseases were nearly eradicated. The US government changed hands in January 1981 and promptly cancelled the program as well as the global support structure funded substantially by the US. The diseases in question were all venereal, so not respectable anyway. The came AIDS, ignored. Now all those are back, although all are now treatable.

So we now have flu in numerous variants with less and less global cooperation to cope. Every couple of decades comes an epidemic. This time the US has cut the budgets for CDC, WHO and scientific research too.

How far can Singapore, South Korea et al go to help conquer this one when officialdom in China and the US thinks of unilateral quarantine and unilateral diagnosis and treatment, while ignoring the stockpiles of various supplies that might help reduce the rate of spread? How can anyone imagine efficacious diagnosis, treatment and prevention can exist on a solely national level?
How can anyone imagine success when crucial governments are denigrating scientists?

Sorry if this is OT. Back in the dark ages even China and the Soviet Union cooperated with each other on these issues. American exceptionalism pretty much destroyed the progress.

Unebelievable.

The U.S. has “contained” the coronavirus, NEC Director Larry Kudlow says. “Pretty close to airtight.” Larry Kudlow says US has contained the coronavirus and the economy is holding up nicely
Meanwhile we learn of CV death that happenned in a premier hospital in Seattle. How many of the people who cared for that patient had protective gear ? How many people have they cared for since ....

To be fair, that’s from a week ago.

But, you don’t need to think deep to see where his interest lies as Trump’s director of NEC.

Coronavirus is a god send for America. Because it will get them to focus on healthcare, which boosts Bernie’s presidential chances.
But never underestimate the ability for Americans to vote against their own interest (& in the case of evangelicals, practice duplicity). “Comrade Sanders” & “breadlines” will be intellectually low hanging fruit picked & doled out in the coming months.

Coronavirus is a god send for America.

I was thinking that there are a lot of silver linings. COVID-19 is almost the 'perfect' virus for a wakeup call. It's bad enough to take seriously but not bad enough to be a catastrophe. Case Fatality Rate could be as low as 0.5% and it mostly effects older people that are ill. SARS was as high as 10%. MERS was even worse but not nearly as infectious. The Spanish Flu was actually more lethal to younger people so it would have disproportionally sickened the workforce.

Hopefully this shows us the importance of a quick response and future administrations recognize that you can't wait until there's a need to hire a Pandemic Response Team. Better we learn this lesson with a milder virus like COVID-19 that something that could be much worse.

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies and Dr. J
Covid-19 is now my hobby, continuing possibly for the next two months. I have gone to the unprecedented step of reducing my stock market exposure to 30% of my assets, taking a significant tax hit in the process. (Norwegian capital gains tax is 31% - yikes).

As of now, my hypothesis is that unless mild quarantine measures in the Western world turn out to drastically reduce the transmission rate, we will have the largest pandemic in world history, along with a significant stock market pullback, by the end of April. Will spend an hour or two each day studying the pandemic, reading preprints etc, to gauge whether I'm wrong. Lots of stuff that can torpedo this theory, but I currently believe it's the most likely mid-term outcome. Then it'll blow over and the world will resume business as usual.

Having some serious FOMO here, but this time I've made the decision of trusting my intuitition. Willing to risk taking a bath in the form of some lost profits if I'm wrong. Painful to arrive at this conclusion after a 10% stock market pullback and 20+% TSLA pullback, I wouldn't have pulled the trigger if these numbers were much bigger.

In principle strongly opposed to timing the market, but I have the hubris to believe that the market hasn't fully priced in this risk yet.

Covid-19 is now my hobby, continuing possibly for the next two months. I have gone to the unprecedented step of reducing my stock market exposure to 30% of my assets, taking a significant tax hit in the process. (Norwegian capital gains tax is 31% - yikes).

As of now, my hypothesis is that unless mild quarantine measures in the Western world turn out to drastically reduce the transmission rate, we will have the largest pandemic in world history, along with a significant stock market pullback, by the end of April. Will spend an hour or two each day studying the pandemic, reading preprints etc, to gauge whether I'm wrong. Lots of stuff that can torpedo this theory, but I currently believe it's the most likely mid-term outcome. Then it'll blow over and the world will resume business as usual.

Having some serious FOMO here, but this time I've made the decision of trusting my intuitition. Willing to risk taking a bath in the form of some lost profits if I'm wrong. Painful to arrive at this conclusion after a 10% stock market pullback and 20+% TSLA pullback, I wouldn't have pulled the trigger if these numbers were much bigger.

In principle strongly opposed to timing the market, but I have the hubris to believe that the market hasn't fully priced in this risk yet.

Time in the market is much more important than timing the market ;)