Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coronavirus is a god send for America. Because it will get them to focus on healthcare, which boosts Bernie’s presidential chances.
But never underestimate the ability for Americans to vote against their own interest (& in the case of evangelicals, practice duplicity). “Comrade Sanders” & “breadlines” will be intellectually low hanging fruit picked & doled out in the coming months.

If CV-19 doesn't convince someone we need single payer, universal healthcare, nothing will. But there is hope.

Truly stunning to hear some Republicans advocate for free Coronavirus testing and treatment for the uninsured.

Rep. Ted Yoho (R-Fla.), one of the most anti-ACA members:

“You can look at it as socialized medicine, but in the face of an outbreak, a pandemic, what’s your options?”​

Wow ...

A person who visited Life Care Center in Kirkland and returned to their home in North Carolina has tested positive for coronavirus, health officials said Tuesday afternoon.

North Carolina health officials said that the state is investigating where the person visited and who was in contact with the patient. The person flew to and from Washington state; the state is working to inform passengers who were on the same plane.​

+2 infected in their 20s in my closet hospital. I think WA state alone beats yesterday's national numbers: Public Health confirms seven new COVID-19 cases, bringing overall total to 21 - King County

• A male in his 20s, unknown exposure, hospitalized at Swedish Issaquah
  • A male in his 20s, unknown exposure, hospitalized at Swedish Issaquah
It doesn’t plainly say whether these two individuals are associated. Either way, that’s a little more concerning given their age and unknown exposure status.

Map of outbreak by state in US. The numbers keep climbing (ie another case in Florida today) and FWIW there should be better coordination between states.

Florida Dept of Health found out through the newspapers that a New Yorker that tested positive (as they are prone to do in winter) had traveled to Miami. NY State Dept of Health failed in not notifying the Florida Dept of Health.

Attachments

• A4128235-C4FE-4157-855F-1EFE016503E5.jpeg
    A4128235-C4FE-4157-855F-1EFE016503E5.jpeg
    539.3 KB · Views: 69
Covid-19 is now my hobby, continuing possibly for the next two months. I have gone to the unprecedented step of reducing my stock market exposure to 30% of my assets, taking a significant tax hit in the process. (Norwegian capital gains tax is 31% - yikes).

As of now, my hypothesis is that unless mild quarantine measures in the Western world turn out to drastically reduce the transmission rate, we will have the largest pandemic in world history, along with a significant stock market pullback, by the end of April. Will spend an hour or two each day studying the pandemic, reading preprints etc, to gauge whether I'm wrong. Lots of stuff that can torpedo this theory, but I currently believe it's the most likely mid-term outcome. Then it'll blow over and the world will resume business as usual.

Having some serious FOMO here, but this time I've made the decision of trusting my intuitition. Willing to risk taking a bath in the form of some lost profits if I'm wrong. Painful to arrive at this conclusion after a 10% stock market pullback and 20+% TSLA pullback, I wouldn't have pulled the trigger if these numbers were much bigger.

In principle strongly opposed to timing the market, but I have the hubris to believe that the market hasn't fully priced in this risk yet.

Next time you buy, do it with an Aksjesparekonto so you don’t need to pay taxes until you withdraw the money

No - the Norwegian Aksjesparekonto only allows European stocks or funds. To buy and trade in US stocks without paying taxes until you withdraw you'll need something like the investment account (aka zero) Nordnet has.

Reactions: eisa01
Covid-19 is now my hobby, continuing possibly for the next two months. I have gone to the unprecedented step of reducing my stock market exposure to 30% of my assets, taking a significant tax hit in the process. (Norwegian capital gains tax is 31% - yikes).

As of now, my hypothesis is that unless mild quarantine measures in the Western world turn out to drastically reduce the transmission rate, we will have the largest pandemic in world history, along with a significant stock market pullback, by the end of April. Will spend an hour or two each day studying the pandemic, reading preprints etc, to gauge whether I'm wrong. Lots of stuff that can torpedo this theory, but I currently believe it's the most likely mid-term outcome. Then it'll blow over and the world will resume business as usual.

Having some serious FOMO here, but this time I've made the decision of trusting my intuitition. Willing to risk taking a bath in the form of some lost profits if I'm wrong. Painful to arrive at this conclusion after a 10% stock market pullback and 20+% TSLA pullback, I wouldn't have pulled the trigger if these numbers were much bigger.

In principle strongly opposed to timing the market, but I have the hubris to believe that the market hasn't fully priced in this risk yet.

I agonized a lot because I don't want to pay the tax.
So instead I went 3x short the general market as a downside protection.

Reactions: marvinat0rz
Here are some new habits I've taken up as an adaptation to the CoronaVirus pandemic. I want as much survival chance for TMC members so we can continue the EV transition. There are no scientific basis on any of these only suspected effectiveness.

One suspected cause of India's relative immunity is Curry. I know, pretty far fetched, but the curcumin in Tumeric is proven to have antiviral properties and might have an effect on lowering cytokine storm. In any case, curry and rice is easy and tasty food for quarantine. I really hope this is the reason cause the other possible answer for Indians to be immune is cow piss.

Another is a shot of Gin and Tonic a day. Quinine in tonic have some antiviral properties. Drowning your throat with 40% alcohool to kill anything in it is not a bad idea either. Getting drunk is also important to get through the quarantine without becoming insane.

There are doctors in Wuhan playing with Vitamin C injection. Your local naturapath should be able to get you a shot. Not really sure if this works, but not a bad idea to keep both Vitamin C and Vitamin D intake at the max. Other rumours that Zinc also helps, I really have no idea where this comes from, but I already have zinc in my daily intake of various supplements. It doesn't hurt to blast your body with all sorts of Vitamins through this period "Just in case".

LOL.

Its a cheap test. Do as many as needed to catch infections - and also put people's fears at rest. Anyone with symptoms needs to be tested. You are not "wasting" a test. You are just proving health care service.

But - do you know what they are actually doing ? Things like this.

Fears over coronavirus exposure close immigration office in Tukwila
The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office in Tukwila is closed Tuesday due to concerns about COVID-19 after an employee who’d visited Life Care Center in Kirkland got sick, according to the Department of Homeland Security. The office will be closed for 14 days.

And this.

Michelle Kalehzan, Ph.D. on Twitter

This is what happened to me. I was exposed & checked out at ER Friday but with a fever of 100.1 I did not meet the criteria for 100.4 fever to be tested. Today the county called me because my direct contact tested positive, & now they will come to my home tomorrow to test me.​

BTW, if anyone wondered what a home quarantine could be - yes it can be a legal quarantine, failure to maintain it can result in legal action.

They read me a notice that said I would be charged with a misdemeanor if I leave my property and possibly detained.​

Proof that it is a cheap test please.

These things are usually ELISA's or RT-PCRs. ELISA's are expensive, RT-PCR are not a "rapid" test and take more than a few minutes (benefit of an ELISA), but if done en masse can be orders of magnitude cheaper.

Last edited:
Here are some new habits I've taken up as an adaptation to the CoronaVirus pandemic. I want as much survival chance for TMC members so we can continue the EV transition. There are no scientific basis on any of these only suspected effectiveness.

One suspected cause of India's relative immunity is Curry. I know, pretty far fetched, but the curcumin in Tumeric is proven to have antiviral properties and might have an effect on lowering cytokine storm. In any case, curry and rice is easy and tasty food for quarantine. I really hope this is the reason cause the other possible answer for Indians to be immune is cow piss.

Another is a shot of Gin and Tonic a day. Quinine in tonic have some antiviral properties. Drowning your throat with 40% alcohool to kill anything in it is not a bad idea either. Getting drunk is also important to get through the quarantine without becoming insane.

There are doctors in Wuhan playing with Vitamin C injection. Your local naturapath should be able to get you a shot. Not really sure if this works, but not a bad idea to keep both Vitamin C and Vitamin D intake at the max. Other rumours that Zinc also helps, I really have no idea where this comes from, but I already have zinc in my daily intake of various supplements. It doesn't hurt to blast your body with all sorts of Vitamins through this period "Just in case".

Not sure how much they’re injecting. But, just be aware that VitC megadosing above the daily tolerable limit can cause minor side effects such as kidney stones and diarrhea. And in a few rare medical conditions can cause more serious problems.

Zinc lozenges can help reduce symptoms and is good to take as precaution right when you sense the slightest feeling of being symptomatic.
That’s why Cold Eeze is literally out of stock at all pharmacies within 25 miles of urban and suburban cities, and on Amazon.

I can do the gin and tonic, but wondering whether my kids can tolerate that.... I’m kidding.

Not sure how much they’re injecting. But, just be aware that VitC megadosing above the daily tolerable limit can cause minor side effects such as kidney stones and diarrhea. And in a few rare medical conditions can cause more serious problems.

Zinc lozenges can help reduce symptoms and is good to take as precaution right when you sense the slightest feeling of being symptomatic.
That’s why Cold Eeze is literally out of stock at all pharmacies within 25 miles of urban and suburban cities, and on Amazon.

I can do the gin and tonic, but wondering whether my kids can tolerate that.... I’m kidding.

I think the vitc was 10 000. Oral Vitc daily limit was 3000 (max body can absorb). I don't know what the units are. Anyway, I think the Naturapaths knows the limits of dosage as that's what they study. I even found out you can't do IV vitmain D, but some type of butt injection is available.

VP Pence in his briefing an hour ago (which for some strange reason they wouldn't allow to be video/audio recorded).

"Today we will issue new guidance from the CDC that will make it clear that any American can be tested" for coronavirus "no restrictions, subject to doctor's orders." Says 2,500 kits will be out this week representing 1.5 million tests.​

These things are usually ELISA's or RT-PCRs. ELISA's are expensive, RT-PCR are not a "rapid" test and take more than a few minutes (benefit of an ELISA), but if done en masse can be orders of magnitude cheaper.

OT:
This comment brings back a lot of memories from back in time in the mol bio labs, heh.
Pouring my own gels in the university labs then finding out about rapid gels in the corporate, resource plentiful world. Among many other things.

VP Pence in his briefing an hour ago (which for some strange reason they wouldn't allow to be video/audio recorded).

"Today we will issue new guidance from the CDC that will make it clear that any American can be tested" for coronavirus "no restrictions, subject to doctor's orders." Says 2,500 kits will be out this week representing 1.5 million tests.​
1.5M x $3,100 per test (I think that's what I heard the tests cost the patient in the U.S.). Someone is going to make a pile of money.

Reactions: Eugene Ash