Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Georgia governor voids local mask orders

"On Wednesday, Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R) banned cities and counties from ordering residents to wear masks in public, voiding orders in at least 15 localities."
--------------
Because as everybody knows by now wearing masks makes no difference

Hairstylists with COVID-19 didn't infect any of their 139 clients. Face masks may be why. | Live Science
CDC director: How the U.S. could get coronavirus under control in weeks

Yep. Today's Golden Moron Award winner is Governor Kemp of Georgia. He is vaulted past previous winners Governor Greg Abbott of Texas and governor Ron DeSantis of Florida to set a new Benchmark in idiocy. The Republicans are all racing to the bottom. They're trying to see how many of their state residents they can either hospitalize or kill with covid-19. It looks like it'll be a photo finish. However I am now putting my money on Governor Kemp. He also has a lead in corruption, voter suppression, and implicit support of white supremacy. He faces tough competition from DeSantis and Abbott but I believe he's got the right stuff to win.

20200716_100942.jpg

Last edited:
Coronavirus hospital data removed from CDC website following Trump plan to reroute information
Coronavirus hospital data removed from CDC website following Trump plan to reroute information

From CNN's Maggie Fox

Following the Trump administration’s decision to reroute coronavirus hospital data first to the administration, instead of sending it to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, some data is no longer available on the CDC.gov website.

The information removed from the website is the hospital data that was reported to the CDC’s National Healthcare Safety Network, according to CDC spokesperson Kristen Nordlund.

The data includes...

• the current inpatient and intensive care unit bed occupancy
  • Health care worker staffing
  • Personal protective equipment supply status and availability
The information appeared on the National Healthcare Safety Network Covid-19 module page and the CDC’s Covid-19 data tracker.

can someone explain to me why the data can't go to both agencies?

I see the trump view - he wants to control it and suppress it. we all see that. but what is the legal reason for making hospitals choose only ONE place to update, for their data?

and what kind of punishment would happen if a hospital refused to comply? and if they choose to dual-submit like I'm suggesting?

can someone explain to me why the data can't go to both agencies?

I see the trump view - he wants to control it and suppress it. we all see that. but what is the legal reason for making hospitals choose only ONE place to update, for their data?

and what kind of punishment would happen if a hospital refused to comply? and if they choose to dual-submit like I'm suggesting?
The CDC is a part of the Federal government. They will do whatever Trump tells the Secretary of HHS to do. This is not optional. Having a criminal at the top tends to breed corruption below.

From CNN's Maggie Fox

Following the Trump administration’s decision to reroute coronavirus hospital data first to the administration, instead of sending it to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, some data is no longer available on the CDC.gov website.

The information removed from the website is the hospital data that was reported to the CDC’s National Healthcare Safety Network, according to CDC spokesperson Kristen Nordlund.

The data includes...

• the current inpatient and intensive care unit bed occupancy
  • Health care worker staffing
  • Personal protective equipment supply status and availability
The information appeared on the National Healthcare Safety Network Covid-19 module page and the CDC’s Covid-19 data tracker.

It will be interesting to see what the Republicans Stooges in the Senate and Congress who worship at the altar of the Cult of Personality that is Donald Trump will do when their states and counties are told to fly blind and where information is actively suppressed. It's obvious that His Orangeness believes that if he suppresses the information the problem will go away. It's sort of like magically cutting the cases in half by cutting the testing. Then the cases will go way down, just fade away, and he will get reelected. It's astonishingly foolish and corrupt but then again Trump sets benchmarks everyday for things we have never seen before. God save us from this f****** idiot.

The CDC is a part of the Federal government. They will do whatever Trump tells the Secretary of HHS to do. This is not optional. Having a criminal at the top tends to breed corruption below.

trump is not a king and I'm still not sure how he gets to be 'the decider' (wow, that took me back..)

I guess since I'm not hearing any talk of legal push-back, that everyone just thinks it can't be challenged?

again, what penalties are there if hospitals don't comply? or, are they just programmed to roll over and take whatever BS is pushed at them?

I don't understand that kind of thinking. I never follow rules if they are stupid and actually dangerous. it can be difficult to say 'no' to authorities, but sometimes you have to do that just to do the Right Thing(tm).

can someone's employment be ruined if they disregarded this? is it that career-ending? can they be jailed?

I still don't understand why a data source has to go to only 1 sink.

again, what penalties are there if hospitals don't comply? or, are they just programmed to roll over and take whatever BS is pushed at them?
can someone's employment be ruined if they disregarded this? is it that career-ending? can they be jailed?
I still don't understand why a data source has to go to only 1 sink.

It's on the web so it must be true...saw some comments last night in this Reddit thread
https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/hrkybf/warnings_of_possible_coverup_in_progress_as_trump/

------
"soveraign / Kansas

I am one of the people that reports to this system.
If we don't report to the system we will not receive relief funds or medications
There is no method to continue reporting to the old system
We also used to report directly to the state, now the state says they will pull data from HHS. We publish our numbers publicly, as many other hospital systems do. I'll be keeping an eye on official state numbers to see if they match up with what the systems are reporting.
Edit to address a few questions: The data regarding new cases, inpatient totals, and deaths are public and picked up by local media regularly. This is generally true for any hospital that publishes these data. We also directly report to our local county, so it would be a lot of effort to suppress our numbers from the public. In that sense we do have some checks on the system. My understanding is that groups like Johns Hopkins and 1point3acres scrape state and county reports to capture their numbers independent of those published by the CDC. We are also just one of like 6000 hospitals in the U.S. and unless there is some edict that tells us to stop reporting to the public it will be difficult to hide stats without A LOT of people noticing.

Q's about county data: coronavirus.1point3acres.com has been very useful for tracking local trends. There are others as well."
-----
"Silent_Lightning

I’m an epi analyst for the NHSN system.
Piggy backing to say that we’ve basically shut our Covid reporting module down, so point 2 above is very true. HHS Protect is the only national data system available now."
-----

She's still at it

San Diego woman wants half of $100K raised for Starbucks barista following mask dispute

"Now, Gilles believes she is entitled to half of the cash, KGTV reported Tuesday.

"It was discrimination, and everybody is OK with it and enabling and rewarding that behavior," she told the news outlet.

Gilles, who previously told KNSD that she is considering suing Cowan, added that she has contacted attorneys, but they all charge too much. She said she hopes to raise money with her own crowdfunding campaign, KGTV reported.

Gilles also claimed that she can't wear a mask because she experiences symptoms such as shortness of breath, dizziness, asthma and mask acne, according to KGTV. She went on to show KGTV documentation from a 2015 pelvic exam, as well as a note from a chiropractor saying that Gilles "has underlying breath conditions that prevent her from wearing a mask." The chiropractor declined to discuss Gilles with the news station."

------------
How deluded do you have to be to think any of that money should or will be yours?

1) Chiropractors CANNOT make ANY medical diagnoses for shortness of breath, dizziness, asthma, acne, etc. This is evidence she is "doctor shopping" to try to get some documentation to support her "medical claim". No physician that wants to keep his license is going to give her that. The chiropractor was wise to decline to comment.

1a) Why would a pelvic exam document anything to do with her breathing?

This "underlying medical conditions" against mask wearing is the biggest lie I have seen propagated in recent memory. VERY VERY few things actually prevent someone from wearing a mask. My best estimate would be that less than one in 10,000 people actually have a legitimate medical condition that prevents it, yet we are seeing like 50% of the population claim it. This INFURIATES me to no end.

2) No attorney is going to take her case unless she agrees to pay up front. Why? Because I'm sure all of them have told her she doesn't have a shot in hell of winning.

I would be VERY curious to know what her GoFundMe got up to.

CV-19 and Vitamin D. Very interesting:
Robin

I really enjoy Roger's stuff and that's one of his best. I'm putting a link below to the review piece where Michael Holick was the second and likely senior author on the immunological effects of vitamin D, with several sections of this very erudite review with special relevance to covid-19.

What's interesting is the data Roger ably summarizes goes 100% against the Institute of Medicine's strident statements about avoiding vitamin D levels higher than 30. Holick and IOM have had a running feud for decades on this, and Holick's grasp of the science and the real data is frankly far better.

Unfortunately IOM's foolishness on this continues to be parroted including by outfits like consumer labs. I'm still astonished that they've dug in their heels on this and that vitamin D toxicity which they present as a kind of Boogeyman frankly is presented as just as great a danger as vitamin D deficiency. That's total bull****. Don't listen to that kind of crap. It's very hard to actually get toxic vitamin D levels defined as greater than 100 nanomoles/mL. You'd have to take ~10,000 IU every day.

Listen instead to the information in this very fine summary by Holick and a colleague. It says that one of the most important ways of protecting yourself in relationship to covid-19, in addition to getting a good night's sleep, and not being depressed, and supporting your microbiome (all generally supportive of immunocompetence) is keeping your vitamin D levels above 40, probably 40 to 65 as as they say is a good range. This is an extremely cheap supplement.

And as Roger points out, and as I've said here many times, vitamin D is not a vitamin, it's a pro-hormone. It influences directly or indirectly a huge chunk of our genome, and we've been sunlit creatures for our entire evolutionary history. The older a process is, the more central it is to life regulation. The later arriving processes modulate and in a context-dependent fashion, extended the core processes. Vit D is central to virtually all vertebrate physiology AFAWK. You should protect yourself from sunburn obviously, but you should not forget about the important role that this substance has in our physiology. There's very good data that vitamin D levels are a factor (not the Factor but a factor) in how we pass through covid-19 and what that trajectory looks like. It would be incredibly foolish to see vitamin D as any version of bulletproof protection against a bad outcome, but at the same time incredibly foolish to dismiss or diminish this data, suggesting that it is a significant moderating variable. It is a factor in how you weather severe infections in general, and perhaps covid-19 in particular, because of its relevance to endothelial health and the rebuilding of the Ace 2 receptor system.

Here's the link to this very fine review. I just read the whole thing. It's superb.

Last edited:
emphasis mine

You mean established occupations? How about new ones?

The idea that volunteering to be infected with a serious pathogen where there is a non-trivial but small risk of death, along with a larger risk of hospitalization and possible long-term health effects would be an honorable service to mankind suggests that you are really disconnected from reality.

I acknowledge it's as risky and dumb as being in war as a fighter, but there are volunteers for that too.

You unfortunately confirm that impression when you talk about "the shame of wearing a mask." The shame actually is in people who simply refuse to absorb the available epidemiology and science, like yourself, and continue to insist that they need more proof that this is any kind of real problem.

To me, it seems both these religions/camps ("better safe than sorry" vs. "it's a scam") are not entirely fact based. I remain agnostic at heart, but try to live rather safe than sorry.

How did this turn into a discussion about me and occupations, when I was only asking if such a thorough study has been made? Feels like being attacked by Corona fanboys.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: madodel
1) Chiropractors CANNOT make ANY medical diagnoses for shortness of breath, dizziness, asthma, acne, etc. This is evidence she is "doctor shopping" to try to get some documentation to support her "medical claim". No physician that wants to keep his license is going to give her that. The chiropractor was wise to decline to comment.

I would be VERY curious to know what her GoFundMe got up to.

I think it's really not worth to expend any more time by medical professionals on her. Maybe a psychiatrist...

From the original/reference article
Woman wants half of $100K donated to Starbucks barista

"She provided ABC 10News with two documents to prove her medical exemption. One is a pelvic exam from 2015 with results that say “probable exophytic fibroid arising from the anterior wall of the uterus measuring 2.9 cm size.” and “simple 2.5 cm left ovarian cyst.” A second piece of paper is a handwritten note with letterhead from a San Diego chiropractor who she asked not be named. The hand written note reads “Amber has underlying breath conditions that prevent her from wearing a mask or any type of facial covering whatsoever. Please contact me if have any questions.”

When that chiropractor who wrote the note was called, he said he could not discuss her situation. When Gilles was asked why a chiropractor gave her a breathing-related medical exemption, she responded “because they are dedicated to providing non-invasive personalized care and treatment. They are real doctors.”
-------------------

Redress Defamation of Character organized by Amber Lynn

Created July 2, 2020
14 Donors
$315 raised of $5,000 goal
-------------------
Though it seems some people just found it worth spending the minimum amount to point out to her what a stupid cnut she is:

"Todd Wood donated $5
$5 is worth pointing out that you only defamed yourself by posting HIS photo online. You might have gotten permission to take it but did you get written consent to publish? Starbucks even has a no photography policy in effect in all corporate locations anyway.
..."

"Shaylynn Olivo donated $5
You posted pictures of yourself on your own personal FB page wearing masks multiple different times at various protests and "recall newsom" campaigns.
..."

"Nicole C donated $5
please take this $5 and use it to buy a dildo so you can go f*** yourself.
..."

and more in the comments on the page.
That gave me a chuckle, I was a bit worried that she actually had 14 supporters.

You mean established occupations? How about new ones?

I acknowledge it's as risky and dumb as being in war as a fighter, but there are volunteers for that too.

To me, it seems both these religions/camps ("better safe than sorry" vs. "it's a scam") are not entirely fact based. I remain agnostic at heart, but try to live rather safe than sorry.

Now you are proving that you don't have any real regard for science, and should be placed for that reason alone, on ignore. A science based position is not a 'religion' - it's only been politicized by those (like yourself) who have no real regard for or interest in the truth, and who want to discredit scientific findings for their own various and sundry reasons.

You simply have no idea what you are talking about when you create a false equivalence of science-based epidemiology and avarice based political discrediting. It's roughly equivalent to suggesting that the Earth Is Flat movement has a valid point too, just like the scientists who 'religiously' (in your view) claim that the Earth is a sphere. I won't respond to any more of your posts, because you've proven that you aren't grounded either in concern for others (continually recycling the unethical offer to have human guinea pigs for COVID infection) or facts.

When that chiropractor who wrote the note was called, he said he could not discuss her situation. When Gilles was asked why a chiropractor gave her a breathing-related medical exemption, she responded “because they are dedicated to providing non-invasive personalized care and treatment. They are real doctors.

giphy2.gif

There is a 4 letter word that starts with C that I want to use right now, but I shall refrain.

• Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing
I think it's really not worth to expend any more time by medical professionals on her. Maybe a psychiatrist...

From the original/reference article
Woman wants half of $100K donated to Starbucks barista

"She provided ABC 10News with two documents to prove her medical exemption. One is a pelvic exam from 2015 with results that say “probable exophytic fibroid arising from the anterior wall of the uterus measuring 2.9 cm size.” and “simple 2.5 cm left ovarian cyst.” A second piece of paper is a handwritten note with letterhead from a San Diego chiropractor who she asked not be named. The hand written note reads “Amber has underlying breath conditions that prevent her from wearing a mask or any type of facial covering whatsoever. Please contact me if have any questions.”

When that chiropractor who wrote the note was called, he said he could not discuss her situation. When Gilles was asked why a chiropractor gave her a breathing-related medical exemption, she responded “because they are dedicated to providing non-invasive personalized care and treatment. They are real doctors.”
-------------------

Redress Defamation of Character organized by Amber Lynn

Created July 2, 2020
14 Donors
$315 raised of $5,000 goal
-------------------
Though it seems some people just found it worth spending the minimum amount to point out to her what a stupid cnut she is:

"Todd Wood donated $5
$5 is worth pointing out that you only defamed yourself by posting HIS photo online. You might have gotten permission to take it but did you get written consent to publish? Starbucks even has a no photography policy in effect in all corporate locations anyway.
..."

"Shaylynn Olivo donated $5
You posted pictures of yourself on your own personal FB page wearing masks multiple different times at various protests and "recall newsom" campaigns.
..."

"Nicole C donated $5
please take this $5 and use it to buy a dildo so you can go f*** yourself.
..."

and more in the comments on the page.
That gave me a chuckle, I was a bit worried that she actually had 14 supporters.

Like I said she's in all probability severely character disordered. Lots of entitlement, lots of projection of her own avarice, very devaluing, all consistent with something in the borderline personality / narcissistic personality Spectrum. When I was a team leader on an inpatient psych service many years ago we saw a lot of people like that, after they crashed and burned and became depressed. If they weren't too depressed you could actually treat them then, but once they reconstituted their destructive coping mechanisms, and became often times highly toxic, they were borderline untreatable.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Like I said she's in all probability severely character disordered. Lots of entitlement, lots of projection of her own avarice, very devaluing, all consistent with something in the borderline personality / narcissistic personality Spectrum. When I was a team leader on an inpatient psych service many years ago we saw a lot of people like that, after they crashed and burned and became depressed. If they weren't too depressed you could actually treat them then, but once they reconstituted their destructive coping mechanisms, and became often times highly toxic, they were borderline untreatable.

So . . . . garden variety millennial? :D

• Funny
Reactions: KG M3