Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The virus today showed up in my own town (a woman who was in the IC of our local hospital for a week before being tested). The hospital is now closed off for new patients as they think doctors, nurses and patients may have been infected. Schools are staying closed for this reason. We now have 10 confirmed cases in The Netherlands.

In Italy the number of confirmed cases has grown to almost 1700. Today 5 people died, bringing the total number of casualties to 34.

In Germany the number of confirmed cases went up to 129, which is almost a doubling of the 66 that were known yesterday.

In the UK there were 12 new cases, bringing the total to 35.
And this woman has not traveled to Italy or other known endemic countries which probably means she acquired it in the Netherlands.So there must be more. The good news is that they are not dying by numbers (yet).

Does that mean all 80 came into contact with a super-source, or does it mean that a string of contacts can be traced back to one person ?

I suspect it is the latter, so I don't think it matters much.

Almost 70 of the 74 cases in Nordrhine Wesfalia could be tracked back to one person who was infected with the virus and bought it in.

If you take that into consideration and that all people along the chain of infections are isolated and need to stay at home including schools where one of those was been are closed, you probably understand why I am saying if you dive deeper in the numbers and cases the situation looks not as grim as many try to paint it.

An example, people panic now that the infections in Germany have been grown 100% over the weekend and spreading all of Germany. Truth is we have single cases in many countries but the bulk is in in Nordrhine Westfalia as explained above and Bavaria where the vast amount comes from one person in one company who infected +20.

So, will we see more infections? Absolutely

Is that out of control? Absolutely not!

If you take that into consideration and that all people along the chain of infections are isolated and need to stay at home including schools where one of those was been are closed, you probably understand why I am saying if you dive deeper in the numbers and cases the situation looks not as grim as many try to paint it.
The important missing detail is whether other people in the chain of contacts were infectious prior to isolation. I remain of the opinion that contacts without symptoms are non-infectious.

As an aside, how is Germany handling household members of an isolated contact ?

As an aside, how is Germany handling household members of an isolated contact ?

Like every flue. Stay at home treat yourself if even required with the normal measure like every year. If it get bad call the doc. make sure you have a room of your own and exchange the air often... its a longer list but nothing unexpected

Don't go out and separate from the rest of the family, keep distance, avoid visitors,. organize food supply, drink a lot ...

I remain of the opinion that contacts without symptoms are non-infectious.
Seems to me this might be dependent on the individual. The person needs to have enough viruses in the body to spread it - and the easiest way to spread would be by coughing/sneezing. But are coughing & sneezing symptoms ?

But most people would consider only high fever along with coughing/sneezing as symptoms. So, someone not developing all the symptoms can still spread the virus. Esp. true of kids. They don't seem to get sick - just normal cold - and easily spread the disease. Kids also tend to touch everything (including face/nose).

Reactions: plumazul
Like every flu
I think you answered a different question. Let me give an example to clarify my question:

A comes back from China and has close, prolonged contact with B
B is contacted, and is asymptomatic.
B is instructed to stay at home and to report symptoms, possibly to undergo serial testing

What instructions are given to the people in B's household ?

An example, people panic now

Yes, people can panic over everything :) Which does not say anything about a situation.

But you might start to wonder, if one person transmits a disease to 80 persons and another persons transmits to 20 persons, if closing schools, besides isolating confirmed cases and monitoring their contacts should be the only measure.

Isolation and monitoring do have good effects, if those 80 persons were each able to transmit to 80 others. Well, you probably get the math.

But maybe it would be wise at some point that society does take the possibility into account that a virus might be me present among it's members and takes some basic measures to make society as a whole more robust to the spreading of said virus. It might help others in case you didn't visit the doctor with Corona test kit before your first sneeze during rush hour while using some form of mass transit.

I think most or all who studied it in depth do, so that's most likely true.

And, correspondingly, we will have a more accurate read of the mortality rate. They physician in me just doesn't believe the 2% number, and even is suspicious that the 0.7% is higher than reality.

I believe the Kirkland Nursing Home, although small in number, with a very clear denominator both for residents and staff, will help understand not only mortality, but add to our knowledge of R0.

16gnae.jpg

I believe the Kirkland Nursing Home, although small in number, with a very clear denominator both for residents and staff, will help understand not only mortality, but add to our knowledge of R0.
In the elderly, unable to live outside a Nursing home. Just do not try to extrapolate those figures to the population at large, the young population, the population without co-morbidities ...

Reactions: jerry33
Great video on how deadly this virus is using data gather as of 2 weeks ago.

TLDR

When virus was first discovered in China, new infection cases were at a growth rate of 50%. If this virus was not contained, total infected as of 2 weeks ago would be 5 million in China. Infection rate is usually logarithmic if unchecked, but more of an S curve then drops off from there if contained. Conclusion, virus in China is actually well contained, not where near black plague numbers.

I think you answered a different question. Let me give an example to clarify my question:

A comes back from China and has close, prolonged contact with B
B is contacted, and is asymptomatic.
B is instructed to stay at home and to report symptoms, possibly to undergo serial testing

What instructions are given to the people in B's household ?

The ones I described before to you.

You can read them here. Its the Robert Koch Institute where I have been BTW a customer for many weeks decades ago. That Institute is the highest authority in terms of infections in Germany and globally recognized as leading.

RKI - Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 - Hinweise zum ambulanten Management von COVID-19-Verdachtsfällen

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
FWIW, I've read and used for years those tongue emoticons as expression of joke or jest, not frustration. Go figure.

It never occurred to me that anyone would interpret it as anything other than frustration. These are really old emoticons, going all the way back to BBS days, and I've used them unchanged since then. But maybe usage is changing thanks to emojis? If I type : followed by P I get the following happy-looking emoji: :p That's definitely not how that emoticon was used back in the early text days.

It never occurred to me that anyone would interpret it as anything other than frustration. These are really old emoticons, going all the way back to BBS days, and I've used them unchanged since then. But maybe usage is changing thanks to emojis? If I type : followed by P I get the following happy-looking emoji: :p That's definitely not how that emoticon was used back in the early text days.

I've always used it to give the same meaning as a child sticking their tongue out. A cheeky gesture, like blowing a raspberry. I always reserved :mad: and similar for frustration. I guess the emoticons (or emoji as they're now called) will signify different things in different cultures.

220px-Einstein_tongue.jpg

IMHO this is the governments trying to prevent panic, at the cost that people take this too lightly. Though I admit I am usually on the cautious side.
Given that Belgium hasn’t been able to even start to make talks about a new government almost a year after the elections, I doubt that the current interim government is able to do anything at all to prevent panic.

• Funny
Reactions: RobPet and EVNow

Right now, the best dataset available is from the Princess cruise ship. My understanding is that everyone has been tested, more than one time for some, and we have a clear number of total infected and total number of deaths. That dataset trends nicely with the 0.7% mortality rate.

Confounding factors / biases, however would include:
1) age not representative of the general population (IIRC these were older individuals, on average, than the general population)
2) semi-quarantine conditions (yes, we all know it was a far from perfect scenario)
3) small, confined location
4) reporting bias (I would assume that the smallest little sniffle would get someone tested)

The Kirkland nursing home will provide data as well, however there will be similar confounding factors that make the data obtained not completely applicable to the general population. However, even these flawed datasets are better than nothing.

Reactions: EVCollies

The CDC reports that there is not enough data to say definitively if there is asymptomatic viral shedding or not:
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Q: When is someone infectious?

A: The onset and duration of viral shedding and period of infectiousness for COVID-19 are not yet known. It is possible that SARS-CoV-2 RNA may be detectable in the upper or lower respiratory tract for weeks after illness onset, similar to infection with MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV. However, detection of viral RNA does not necessarily mean that infectious virus is present. Asymptomatic infection with SARS-CoV-2 has been reported, but it is not yet known what role asymptomatic infection plays in transmission. Similarly, the role of pre-symptomatic transmission (infection detection during the incubation period prior to illness onset) is unknown. Existing literature regarding SARS-CoV-2 and other coronaviruses (e.g. MERS-CoV, SARS-CoV) suggest that the incubation period may range from 2–14 days.