Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not in this country you won't, then there would be riots! :D

Just to be sure, I went back to the supermarket and got a few more...

Can't be too careful in these difficult times...

Agreed. I understimated how fast I consume stuff when isolated and have nothing to do. Double your usual consumptions..

Not in this country you won't, then there would be riots! :D

Just to be sure, I went back to the supermarket and got a few more...

Can't be too careful in these difficult times...
I bought beer yesterday and 2 handles of bourbon today. If I'm going to be stuck at home for weeks I'm not doing it sober.

I have not watched much Joe Rogan, but just watched this interview with Michael Osterholm and found it very helpful:

Lots of background on virus history and straight talk about what we can and cannot do, and what looks like a good book from the guy, which I purchased just now:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HZFB5EW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some tidbits from the podcast (haven’t read the book yet), much common sense:
  1. The virus will spread exponentially, we can’t stop it, closing borders won’t help much, but we can slow it down, and of course that is critical with finite medical facilities (the thing so many folks are missing)
  2. At 10x fatality rate over annual flu, we are in for some challenging times. The data we have says that this will go on for months and we will have fatality in the US many times a normally flu season.
  3. Some shared conversations with physicians in Italy, which went from a handful of cases to crisis in weeks. Confirmation of what we have all heard, that hospital facilities are overwhelmed, physicians have to leave some untreated even thought they will likely die. Physicians treating CVD are asked to continue doing so even after they get sick.
  4. Hand washing and hand sanitizers both are helpful, as is avoiding touching your face, but the primary vector is simply breathing, which we can’t avoid.
  5. Surgical masks don’t protect you at all, only designed to keep your cough from infecting a nearby patient undergoing surgery.
  6. Face masks help a lot in minimizing transmission from you to someone else, less so in protecting you.
  7. Correlation for higher fatality rate beyond age include smoking and obesity. I am wondering whether the latter makes the US more vulnerable.
  8. Closing schools is a difficult call. Data says kids don’t get symptoms but can easily spread it to their parents. But keeping them home may mean day care problems for their parents who may be health care professionals that we really need.
  9. What we need, and have needed for years, is stockpiles of basic stuff like face masks, antibiotics (helpful for secondary infections), all generic medical supplies that can be stockpiled, ongoing development of vaccines for coronavirus family in general, etc etc.
  10. Some asides: hot saunas do not protect you from flu infection. All studies fail to show help from probiotics, either in the short or long term. Great stuff later on about unique conditions in China, their food chain and population density, and also stuff about Lyme’s disease, how it most likely originally came from the northern Midwest US, how it got to the east and why it is worse there. Intriguing stuff about deer carrying disease to Moose, climate change and lack of forest fires making that worse.

Thanks for that.

Regarding breathing, I do believe that breathing through the nose is far safer (and good general practice) compared with mouth breathing - at least breathe in through the nose, out though the mouth.

Regarding the correlations, age and smoking are obvious, but I wonder if obesity itself isn't actually a factor, but rather the underlying cause of obesity, i.e. metabolic syndrome and all it's ills, which then has a very strong correlation with poor diet (sugar, grains and PUFA 06 consumption = standard American diet).

That being said, whereas in Italy the population can be old and are buggers for smoking, but generally their eating habits are more ancestral and better than many western countries, so that wouldn't add up.

I don't know, just thinking aloud here...

If you have enough beer, you won’t mind running out of toilet paper.

I'm ready for a beer shortage :)
Agreed. I understimated how fast I consume stuff when isolated and have nothing to do. Double your usual consumptions..
I think I'm covered for beer. Plus you can probably find Coronas at any store for a while :)

whatBeerShortage.jpg

BelgianDubble.jpg

Reactions: Glamisduner
Russia has only 150 confirmed cases of corona. The whole of Russia with its 144 million people.

Lol, they must be doing something right

Easy, just don't test. No confirmed cases. No problem.

Well, until you get dead bodies in the street, but that might as well just be a very bad flu season. Sometimes you get 1 million dead during the two worst weeks of a flu season. This coronavirus thing is just a hoax, after all.

Russia has only 150 confirmed cases of corona. The whole of Russia with its 144 million people.

Lol, they must be doing something right
Even covid-19 can't invade Russia.

Well, until you get dead bodies in the street, but that might as well just be a very bad flu season. Sometimes you get 1 million dead during the two worst weeks of a flu season. This coronavirus thing is just a hoax, after all.
Or just kill anyone who might have it. That's a super easy way to contain a virus.

More Data on the timing and were every country stands today:

View attachment 520907

More interactive graphics inside:

COVID-19 Facts - Algebris Investments

• Other countries are following in the path of Italy, with a lag.
  • In terms of confirmed total cases per 10'000 inhabitants, Spain is today where Italy was 8/7 days ago. France, has a 9 days lag.
  • Belgium, the Netherlands , and Germany are today where Italy was 10 days ago.
  • Switzerland is today where Italy was 5 days ago, whereas the UK and US are where Italy was 13/14 and 16 days ago, respectively.
  • We can expect the daily increase of total COVID-19 cases to peak across the EU top-4 countries around the end of March 2020

What country is “CH”? If “CH” = China, seems puzzling, since the reported rate now looks pretty flat. Could this be “Czech Republic” instead? Followed link to website, couldn’t find an abbreviation key there either.

Chinese claiming the US Gov released COVID-19 in Wuhan? That's a big claim, better come with some pretty conclusive evidence to back that one up.

Idea shut down pretty well by Osterholm interview on Joe Rogan show: answer is that this virus has all the markers of jumping from animals to humans, and besides would be insanely difficult to design and manufacture artificially.

Don't test, and if you do, don't let the media to report it to outside world.
otoh Russia could easily contain this.. they've been able to hide whole cities in the past.

Reporting of cases and numbers changed in Santa Clara on the 8th.
"Due to medical privacy requirements and to protect their identity, further information about these cases will not be released."

Request for help...

I am looking for information on the "numbers" of people tested in Santa Clara. Previously the map below included red dots for individual citys or counties with a list of those affected. Now the data is limited to statewide information and a red dot for a Cruise ship at sea that is no longer at sea. This has been ongoing since...March 8th.

If you know where I can find better information for my community it would be helpful for me (and daughters school).

upload_2020-3-12_13-50-10.png

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Meetings at the CDC were classified in January...

The White House Made Coronavirus Meetings Classified. That's Idiotic.

Four Trump officials told Reuters that dozens of coronavirus meetings have been held in a high-security room at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), and that "staffers without security clearances, including government experts, were excluded from the interagency meetings, which included video conference calls."

As a result, "some very critical people who did not have security clearances" were kept out of the meetings.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Reporting of cases and numbers changed in Santa Clara on the 8th.

from... Known cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Santa Clara County - Public Health Department - County of Santa Clara

Known cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Santa Clara County
Last updated March 8, 2020
Update: See the Attachments section below for the case summary infographics.

Due to medical privacy requirements and to protect their identity, further information about these cases will not be released.

March 8, 2020 update (5 new cases)

• These cases are currently under investigation.
March 7, 2020 update (8 new cases)

• These cases are currently under investigation.
March 6, 2020 update (4 new cases)

• Case #21 - adult male, isolated at home. Household contact of a previously confirmed case in Santa Clara County.
  • Case #22 - adult female, currently hospitalized. This case is under investigation.
  • Case #23 - adult male, currently hospitalized. Recently traveled from India.
  • Case #24 - adult male, isolated at home. Exposure details are under investigation.

For those in the Bay Area, my family/friends who work in hospitals are suggesting that kids should be kept home from school now, if not necessary, even if the school district has not closed them down yet.

Edit: obviously, every doctor will have their own opinions, just like all of us on this board. So, don’t take this as an order.

Last edited: