Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a friggin pandemic, of course people are going to be stressed and have mental issues, lock down or not.

What isn't taken into account is that while the quarantine definitely adds to people's stress levels, not quarantining people and just having people randomly die in much larger numbers would be as stressful if not more stressful. People are just fixated on the stay at home and trivializing the potential lethality of this virus.
Exactly. Some people just want to pretend everyone would be joyfully skipping over the dead bodies in the streets as long as we didn't have any lock down.

This thread needs to get outdoors and do a little more exercising. Maybe take off that mask smell the fresh air? Smile at a stranger?
I do that every day. There's a lot of arguing with straw men happening in this thread. Who is arguing that people having heart attacks shouldn't go to the hospital? Or that people should not have cancer screenings until the pandemic is over? o_O

I do wear this mask when I go to the grocery store though. :p

Last edited:
I can't believe all the "smart" people aren't social distancing. Who is going to tell us what to do when they all die?

omb.png

I do that every day. There's a lot of arguing with straw men happening in this thread. Who is arguing that people having heart attacks shouldn't go to the hospital? Or that people should not have cancer screenings until the pandemic is over? o_O

I do wear this mask when I go to the grocery store though. :p

Umm, yea well my post wasn't really referring to the arguments you are referencing. It was the doom and gloom, winter is coming, the depressed freaks here keep going on about.

I don't think anyone was arguing "should"...the problem is they aren't (because they are scared bc of the fear mongering on MSM which this thread echos) or they can't get a screening because almost everyone stopped seeing patients. Why is that a difficult concept?

It's a friggin pandemic, of course people are going to be stressed and have mental issues, lock down or not.

Exactly. Some people just want to pretend everyone would be joyfully skipping over the dead bodies in the streets as long as we didn't have any lock down.
Lockdown was to prevent the collapse of our health care system. States had two months to form contact trace teams. Testing is widespread in most states, more tests than people who are in need of them in the northeast. Time to open the businesses.

Lockdown was to prevent the collapse of our health care system. States had two months to form contact trace teams. Testing is widespread in most states, more tests than people who are in need of them in the northeast. Time to open the businesses.

And if you all don't like it you are free to stay home in your stages of fear and depression. IF everyone dies in 3 months you can say, "told you so" to the other 20 people you agree with here and you all can have a party in a bubble. IF the virus burns out and everyone is fine then this thread will be dead and you all will have to make up some other fear mongering thread, twist what is going on to justify your fears, or complain about something Elon did.

It is a win win situation.

And if you all don't like it you are free to stay home in your stages of fear and depression. IF everyone dies in 3 months you can say, "told you so" to the other 20 people you agree with here and you all can have a party in a bubble. IF the virus burns out and everyone is fine then this thread will be dead and you all will have to make up some other fear mongering thread, twist what is going on to justify your fears, or complain about something Elon did.

It is a win win situation.
uh-duh-winning-charlie-sheen-winning-meme-51310552.png

Umm, yea well my post wasn't really referring to the arguments you are referencing. It was the doom and gloom, winter is coming, the depressed freaks here keep going on about.

I don't think anyone was arguing "should"...the problem is they aren't (because they are scared bc of the fear mongering on MSM which this thread echos) or they can't get a screening because almost everyone stopped seeing patients. Why is that a difficult concept?
I don't watch TV news so I have no idea what's going on there. I know that here in San Diego you can go to the doctor.
You guys going on about lack of medical care conveniently leave out that medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the United States. :p There's a reason that mammogram screening guidance has been moved to an older age. It's not necessarily a bad thing if people are a little more hesitant to visit the doctor. (don't get me wrong, if you have appendicitis you should definitely go to the doctor!)
I'm perplexed that people view this thread as doom and gloom. Most people here believe this is a solvable problem. It's people downplaying the problem that cause the doom and gloom.

Last edited:
I don't watch TV news so I have no idea what's going on there. I know that here in San Diego you can go to the doctor.
You guys going on about lack of medical care conveniently leave out that medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the United States. :p There's a reason that mammogram screening guidance has been moved to an older age. It's not necessarily a bad thing if people are a little more hesitant to visit the doctor. (don't get me wrong, if you have appendicitis you should definitely go to the doctor!)
I'm perplexed that people view this thread as doom and gloom. Most people here believe this is a solvable problem. It's people downplaying the problem that cause the doom and gloom.
I should be much more worried. All the nursing homes around me are filled with infected residents. And a few miles away across the river there's a bunch of people who used to live in NYC and ran away scared and came into my "house" (figure of speech) to infect all of the providence area. I'm not afraid, and our main hospital is way under capacity (240 patients) 40 on ventilators. Despite having 50% higher death rate than Sweden. And I've downloaded an app that tracks my movement in case I get covid (helps the tracers track) :confused: Like that guy who got his intestines ripped out while still breathing and said in a movie (before they ripped them out) FREEDOM!!! Wait a minute o_O Elon said the same :eek:

Okay, you got it bro. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
Ahem . . . HOT OFF THE PRESSES

https://www.thelancet.com/lancet/article/s0140673620311806
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/05/22/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-study/
https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/86642
Antimalarial drug touted by Trump linked to increased risk of death in coronavirus patients, study says

96,000 patients from 671 hospitals. 15,000 treated with HCQ/CQ +/- an antibiotic (azithro)

8% on HCQ developed a heart arrythmia (compared to 0.3% of the control group)

Chance of death on HCQ - twice that of the control study.

There is your massively statistically-significant study with proper control groups.

Once again, here's a study of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine that fails to answer the most important question: how are the outcomes of patients using HCQ+zinc compared to a control group when treatment is begun early in the disease? So far, the NYU study is the only study to have examined the two key elements: usage in conjunction with zinc and the drug combo being administered early in the disease progression.

may20hcq.JPG

The fact that the addition of zinc allowed HCQ to enable 44% fewer deaths than HCQ+azithromycin without zinc is extremely important. This number comes from the *** final line when the treatment was begun before ICU.

I think we all agree that the studies now suggest that HCQ+azithromycin is not a good treatment to begin when the patient is already in a the ICU. Higher mortality rates of today's study back up that discovery.

The real question remains: when HCQ is given early in the disease progression and zinc is included in the treatment, how do patients fare compared to a control group? The NYU study suggests massively better. Let's find out.

I'm not expecting higher order thinking from you, but 'winter' refers to a time where its better to be inside; safer, in this case. its not about depression. not sure WHERE you got that from. annoyance at people like you - that's not depression. quite different feelings.

it would be one thing if people acted responsibly, but it seems its been made into a political war and that makes it DAMNED dangerous. people out to try to 'make a statement' - and that was fine when it didn't cost others their lives. when the trumpers wanted more and more religion, for example, pushed down our throats, we didn't want it, but it wasn't KILLING us. we put up with it. for years and years, we put up with one side always trying to bring the rest of progress, backwards.

but this - we don't put up with. you don't get the right to go around causing pain, suffering and death. no, not for your silly-assed political statements.

I see violence happening, in clashes, as the two sides get even more polarized. as one side wants to cause friction and 'make statements' the other side is going have people that simply will not stand for this and the result is not gonna be pretty.

some people just want to watch the world burn. it really is true. that's what scares me.

Did she just say that Trump was in the "using HCQ as prophylaxis" study? Or am I putting words in her mouth? :) :) :)

What she failed to acknowledge and actually pretty much obfuscated in her comments was that many of the classic comorbidities (notably hypertension and diabetes) were no more of a risk factor then being on hydroxychloroquine / chloroquine with or without a macrolide in hospitalized patients (an already high risk group). In other words the odds ratios for a fatal outcome from covid-19 for everything except congestive heart failure and arrhythmia were similar or in some cases less then being on those drugs in any combination. So she basically dodged the question, presumably to avoid any potential embarrassment for Trump. In the process I believe she appeared to be trying to obscure that the White House physician prescribing this is both incompetent and negligent.

gr2.gif

Last edited:
So she basically dodged the question
She did indeed. She has become a sorry act, unable to even say that HCQ, particularly in combination with a macrolide, is ill advised.

By the way, that Nature paper has a break down for VT/VF (from memory -- I may be a bit off):
0.3% in the control group
4 - 6% in the CQ/HCQ group
6 - 8% in the CQ/HCQ + Macrolide group

QT prolongation related dysrythmias used to be an arcane topic outside of cardiology. Now with trumps 'help' they are as topical as bleach.

Last edited:
If you apply the age interval IFR's by age range to the US's population profile, the actual national IFR is 0.18% - Not 0.26% as they claim.

Something is off somewhere.

View attachment 544061
I presume that not the age distribution of the population was taken, but the age distribution of the cases. Those would be weighed more towards the older fractions, plausibly yielding then higher "overall" fatality percentages.

If you apply the age interval IFR's by age range to the US's population profile, the actual national IFR is 0.18% - Not 0.26% as they claim.

Something is off somewhere.

View attachment 544061
Seems like a good chance they have no idea what they're doing or just made up their numbers. We’ll have to see if they ever publish their methodology.