Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand the point, but it really si not quite accurate. Keep in mind that the COVID-19 cases in Brazil came form the US. To suggest that the US is protecting itself is laughable. Protection requires comprehensive testing and aggressive case epidemiology.

Neither Brazil nor the US has either of those.

Flying in Brazil, where possible does include quite comprehensive evaluation prior to flight. Indeed poor people suffer. Rich ones do not. The statistics everywhere indicate that. Poor people do not fly much.

From a statistical perspective flying is less risky than many other activities. Partly that is because aircraft filtration has been upgraded, aircraft interiors are sterilized, crews and passengers are screened and food service has been curtailed/modified. Almost all respectable airlines are doing those things.

I am not suggesting air travel is risk free, far from it. I am stating that no significant international airline neglects protection against viral spread today. That said I will not travel in the immediate future.

FWIW, I normally fly 12-15 international round trip per year. I have now been on the ground for the longest period in my adult life. I admit it, I'm stir-crazy!

For anybody who deigns to travel to Brazil I recommend GOL or Latam, both of which are assiduous regarding cleanliness. Given the current situation were i to travel to the US I'd probably choose either Lufthansa or KLM via EU unless Latam would fly non-stop from GIG.

For all of us, though, air travel is no longer the risk it was in December and January. Now politics are dominating science.

I would not get on a plane without an N95 mask and an awful lot of personal disinfectant. In fact I would probably put a cloth mask over the N95 mask. Even with that combination I might only get on an airplane unless I was reasonably convinced that no one was going to sit next to me, and I had no other option for essential travel. With all those contingencies driving the Tesla looks better and better. Won't get me to Europe but I think it's going to be my transportation in the US for quite a while

I'm not keen on the mercury in fish. My brain is bad enough without it.
It is physically impossible to get Mercury from properly prepared fish oil. First of all they don't use species that are Mercury concentrators (shark tuna and swordfish and other fish at the top of the food chain) and the fish oil is distilled so that heavy metals are pulled out. It is the safest way to get Omega fats into your diet given the amount of mercury that is in some seafood.

Clinical Trials Map: Research on Covid-19

IQYla5G.jpg

BNZU2fF.jpg

new algorithm for the next 6-12 months:

while (karen.status() == "on_the_loose") {
if (time.now.day() == "sunday" && time.now.hour() == 6) {
food_shop();
} else {
hibernate();
}
}

(actually, needs a (time.week() % 2) == 0) patch since I'm only leaving the house every 2 weeks). too lazy to fix the code; someone else can, if they want ;)

Last edited:
I would not get on a plane without an N95 mask and an awful lot of personal disinfectant. In fact I would probably put a cloth mask over the N95 mask. Even with that combination I might only get on an airplane unless I was reasonably convinced that no one was going to sit next to me, and I had no other option for essential travel. With all those contingencies driving the Tesla looks better and better. Won't get me to Europe but I think it's going to be my transportation in the US for quite a while
I do agree with you. Still, I will not avoid essential travel. We're well equipped with masks, sanitizers, surgical gloves and visors. Just because I am willing to travel does not mean I don't understand the risks. Luckily masks are mandatory where i live and all supermarkets have sanitisers and obsessive cart cleaning, which I repeat.

.......... I started to actually look into what is influenza and how deadly it is. I realized the burden we are having in society is not higher than a bad influenza year. Except that now we introduced an exogenous factor with very unpredictable effects. Except that now , just like in China/HK , we have this matter politicized and we have people spreading fear while on the comfort of their homes with their guaranteed state salary. In Portugal it’s easy to see the classes spreading fear: public teachers and public doctors. And I have a mother and a father in those two fields.

don’t tell me I can’t change my ideology. If I see proof that I’m on the wrong I will change it.

---

Mod: edited to remove personal attacks. Last warning.

- You are correct in the sense that Covid-19 is unlikely to wipe humanity off the planet.
- True is also that the evolution is not expected to be comparable to waves of pestilence in medieval times.
- Conversely I have not found recent support for your conclusion that covid-19 deaths are comparable to deaths from flu seasons.

It appears in particular that the data for flu-deaths and corona-19 deaths are not sampled via the same methodology and cannot be used directly.
Picking just one of the many studies:
COVID-19 Deaths Far Outpace Flu in 'Apples-to-Apples' Comparison
— Faulty comparisons between infections threaten public health, researchers argue.

Which mix of measures at regional or national level is then optimal in the interest of overall public health, is then a quite different question. There is still a lot to learn ahead of us.

P.S. My grandmother is from Bergamo.

I'm not sure where this store is located, but its not 'shopped' (you can tell from the pixels, right?)

since the content is 'not safe for work' (whatever that means, these days), if mods need to delete it, I'll understand.

that said, here's the current state of things, as seen from one storefront:

fark_eUKDLlhT13HX8omKLdsnIHVeHgE.jpg

He's not pussy-footing around with any namby pamby wimpy liberal approach. Nope. But I bet there aren't too many "real 'Muricans" coming in with their flag bandanas and MAGA hats either, talkin' smack about "freedom" and how they are not not wearing any pinko commie faggot masks either.:D

Last edited:
I would not get on a plane without an N95 mask
P100 FTW! (though now that I look more closely that may not be a particulate filter, it's not pink).
upload_2020-5-24_9-32-52.png

We have now increased to 54.8% COVID victims identifying as Latino in the largest US state:

Race Ethnicity

Yet, no Spanish language COVID warnings or mitigation programs are in place. It's another of our governor's dirty-little-secrets much like the nursing home super-spreader events in California that he deliberately ignored in order to spread the disease, or so it appears. I find it hard to believe he did not follow National or California news in March and April.

It almost seems the purpose of C19 programs in California is to destroy economic health and physical health concurrently.
Are you Latino?
All these resources are available in both English and Spanish: https://toolkit.covid19.ca.gov
Currently, more than 1,000 of California’s radio and television broadcasters have received the campaign’s PSAs and messages to share on their airwaves— so that all Californians will see the message to “Stay home. Save lives” — thanks to local ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and Telemundo broadcast networks, Comcast Ad Distribution, the California Broadcasters Association, Entercom, Enterprise, and Ethnic Media Services. In addition, more than 450 digital billboards and outdoor advertisements are visible statewide in both English and Spanish thanks to ClearChannel, OutFront Media, Veale Outdoor Advertising, General Outdoor, VisCom Outdoor, iKahan Media and M Entertainment.
California’s Leading Digital and Media Platforms, Businesses and Celebrities Partner with the State to Amplify COVID-19 “Stay Home. Save Lives.” Public Awareness Campaign | California Governor
I think accusing the governor and public employees of intentionally trying to bankrupt the state and kill people is pretty over the top. I am as disappointed in the response as much as anyone.

I understand the point, but it really si not quite accurate. Keep in mind that the COVID-19 cases in Brazil came form the US. To suggest that the US is protecting itself is laughable. Protection requires comprehensive testing and aggressive case epidemiology.

Neither Brazil nor the US has either of those.

Flying in Brazil, where possible does include quite comprehensive evaluation prior to flight. Indeed poor people suffer. Rich ones do not. The statistics everywhere indicate that. Poor people do not fly much.

From a statistical perspective flying is less risky than many other activities. Partly that is because aircraft filtration has been upgraded, aircraft interiors are sterilized, crews and passengers are screened and food service has been curtailed/modified. Almost all respectable airlines are doing those things.

I am not suggesting air travel is risk free, far from it. I am stating that no significant international airline neglects protection against viral spread today. That said I will not travel in the immediate future.

FWIW, I normally fly 12-15 international round trip per year. I have now been on the ground for the longest period in my adult life. I admit it, I'm stir-crazy!

For anybody who deigns to travel to Brazil I recommend GOL or Latam, both of which are assiduous regarding cleanliness. Given the current situation were i to travel to the US I'd probably choose either Lufthansa or KLM via EU unless Latam would fly non-stop from GIG.

For all of us, though, air travel is no longer the risk it was in December and January. Now politics are dominating science.

Wow. China has been Brazil's biggest trading partner for over a decade, and perhaps their biggest foreign investor and you believe that was done by telegrams? Nope.

Brazilian C19 is like Iran and Italy. Fresh from Wuhan daily.

Last edited:
P100 FTW! (though now that I look more closely that may not be a particulate filter, it's not pink).
View attachment 544463

Are you Latino?
All these resources are available in both English and Spanish: Covid19Toolkit – California Coronavirus Response Toolkit

California’s Leading Digital and Media Platforms, Businesses and Celebrities Partner with the State to Amplify COVID-19 “Stay Home. Save Lives.” Public Awareness Campaign | California Governor
I think accusing the governor and public employees of intentionally trying to bankrupt the state and kill people is pretty over the top. I am as disappointed in the response as much as anyone.

Go to your California's Leading ... link and hit the CA webpage TRANSLATE button, and switch it to Spanish. Yes, I'm mixed blood. No it's not your business.

There is no actual response here that I've witnessed and we have a much heavier Latino pop than Gavin or SF. I was born in SD and was part of the 200th Birthday bash in '69.

Wow. China has been Brazil's biggest trading partner for over a decade, and perhaps their biggest foreign investor and you believe that was done by telegrams? Nope.

Brazilian C19 is like Iran and Italy. Fresh from Wuhan daily.
Nextstrain shows it coming to Brazil almost entirely from Europe (auspice).
Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 10.32.15 AM.png

Yes, I'm mixed blood. No it's not your business.
I was just curious because I personally don't consume Spanish language media. I really have no idea how well the county health departments are reaching those communities. It does seems like in every country on earth (with an epidemic) poorer communities are getting hit very hard. And of course the workers in nursing homes are from poorer communities.

Nextstrain shows it coming to Brazil almost entirely from Europe (auspice).
View attachment 544471

I was just curious because I personally don't consume Spanish language media. I really have no idea how well the county health departments are reaching those communities. It does seems like in every country on earth (with an epidemic) poorer communities are getting hit very hard. And of course the workers in nursing homes are from poorer communities.

OK, so the virus has to make a stop at the Chinese projects in North Italy and Iran, but the virus did not originate in Europe.

China has taken over as the largest developer of foreign projects.

He's not pussy-footing around with any namby pamby wimpy liberal approach. Nope. But I bet there aren't too many "real 'Muricans" coming in with their flag bandanas and MAGA hats either, talkin' smack about "freedom" and how they are not not wearing any pinko commie faggot masks either.:D

Nope, they will go here:
No masks allowed: stores turn customers away in US culture war
"...a Kentucky convenience store that put up a sign reading: “NO Face Masks allowed in store. Lower your mask or go somewhere else. Stop listening to [Kentucky governor Andy] Beshear, he’s a dumbass.”
Another sign was posted by a Californian construction store earlier this month encouraging hugs but not masks.
In Illinois, a gas station employee who put up a similar sign has since defended herself, arguing that mask-wearing made it hard to differentiate between adults and children when selling booze and cigarettes."
-----
"“I work for Costco and I am asking this customer to put on a mask because that is company policy,” says a Costco employee in one video. “And I’m not doing it because I woke up in a free country,” replies the man filming him."

Watch the Twitter video for some especially free people.
--------------
If I came upon a store that wouldn't allow me to wear a mask I'd go elsewhere.
I just wish the 'free people' would do the same instead of injuring or killing store employees.

Reactions: JRP3
30 astronauts have died during manned space programs. Some were in training before launch, or on the pad.

Source: Astronomy.com

odd demarcation there. Are you counting people that tried to get on a flight and go up? If so it's less than 30. You specifically used the phrase "5% of all people who attempted to go into space died." not all of those 30 were on a flight, some of those died in ground tests but they were not "attempting to go into space". The breakdown is

19 died in flight
11 died During training or testing

For example 4 of the US "astronauts" died in normal airplane flight unrelated to spaceflight. Sure their job title was astronaut, but they were just flying from one location to another just like anyone else at the time or since.

source, List of spaceflight-related accidents and incidents - Wikipedia

If you are going to count people related to the space programs that never tried to go to space you'd have a much larger number, for example 78 died in one incident in 1960 let alone the dozens of others that died in other years. You'd have to add 250-300 easily if you are trying to change your wording from "attempted to go into space".

Much simpler to limit your numbers to people that tried to go up. Include the ones that died on the test pad (for sure the 3 that died in the apollo program fire). But don't include people that died around the space program unrelated to going up if you are going to use that wording.

Last edited:
Reactions: kbM3