Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get to come here every day to read all the new pages but have you guys seen any additional studies on asymptomatic individuals' lung scans? I've seen a few articles indicating they have shown up with white, glassy spots but that's about it. Assume that the majority of the people never make it to a hospital or doctor setting for a scan.

Found this article from NPR (6/23/20) that indicated covid damage had occurred in their lungs to some extent and "likely" will be reversable. Curious if that "reversable" assumption has panned out to be true or not through longer term studies. If not, would it make you more susceptible to the next virus round or regular old pneumonia etc., kind of putting them in the more at risk category going forward?

We Still Don't Fully Understand The Label 'Asymptomatic'

Today the Washington Post had this article on autopsies done on brains, lungs and hearts and the pathologist in the article found some interesting, unexpected results and a similarity to dengue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/07/01/coronavirus-autopsies-findings/

From Washington Post article on examining the brain and on oxygen levels:
"He found snippets of virus in only some areas, and it was unclear whether they were dead remnants or active virus when the patient died. There were only small pockets of inflammation. But there were large swaths of damage due to oxygen deprivation. Whether the deceased were longtime intensive care patients or people who died suddenly, Solomon said, the pattern was eerily similar.

“We were very surprised,” he said.

When the brain does not get enough oxygen, individual neurons die, and that death is permanent. To a certain extent, people’s brains can compensate, but at some point, the damage is so extensive that different functions start to degrade.

On a practical level, Solomon said, if the virus is not getting into the brain in large amounts, that helps with drug development because treatment becomes trickier when it is pervasive, for instance, in some patients with West Nile or HIV. Another takeaway is that the findings underscore the importance of getting people on supplementary oxygen quickly to prevent irreversible damage."

Last edited:
We're the crap show now.
The US has been in the crapper for a few weeks, ever since the growth rate in daily cases took off.
It is just amazing how little people have learned about exponential growth. Perhaps part of the problem is that so many state DOH agencies report daily data but do not report, or at least do not make prominent, trend graphs.

As for the idiocy that the daily increasing case load was due to more testing and nothin to worry about --- well, that is simply criminal when it comes from the White House. I will say though that the mainstream media are downright stupid since they perpetuated the nonsense and to this day have not figured it out ... although they have caught on in part. I read an Arizona newspaper today (I presume all AZ newspapers are trumpian to at some degree though that may not be true) that has been critical of trump these last few days. The journalist now says that the 'increased testing excuse' is not most of the answer (No sh1t, sherlock) because testing has increased 77% while the case load has increased ~ 150%. I'm pretty sure that the journalist and the paper's readership think the real actual case load increase is 150 - 77.

That's the thing about trumpers: not only are they miserable examples of humanity, they are also STUPID.

Last edited:
I cannot help but shake my head in sorrow at the Governor morons who have decided that the test rate is end all and be all of watching the epidemic spread without taking the larger context into account. Surely each state has at least one epidemiologist they listen to ?

Quiz: if testing doubles, case number doubles and rate stays the same at 5%

The spread is contained -- Good
The epidemic is growing -- Bad
Don't know

Last edited:
All right everyone. We can close this thread now. Trump says the virus is just going to go away.
Trump says he's 'all for masks,' but believes coronavirus will 'disappear' - CNNPolitics

allok.png

(too soon?)

Australia needs to redouble their efforts to eliminate the virus. It has really got to be a zero tolerance policy. If you do not get compliance and cooperation from your population based on science very soon, you may be in for a very bad time, and regret not acting decisively at this moment of opportunity.

Australia seems to take things seriously, so hopefully they'll be successful very soon and you can have your little bubble with New Zealand in a couple months.

FWIW

The Australian prime minister gave a speech yesterday, he referenced the 1930's 4 times.

The Context being that after coronavirus the world will be poorer, more unpredictable and more prone to violent miscalculations.

In the last 4 years australia has had drought, flood, fire and pestilence. The primie minister is now preparing for territorial defense in a way i have never heard an australian PM speak in my life time.

Fauci doubts effectiveness of coronavirus vaccine in US due to anti-vaxxers

“The best we’ve ever done is measles, which is 97% to 98% effective,” Fauci told CNN. “That would be wonderful if we get there. I don’t think we will. I would settle for [a] 70%, 75% effective vaccine.”

Polls have shown that many Americans are skeptical of a vaccine. In May only half of Americans said they would get one if it becomes available, while a Washington Post survey showed 27% would likely refuse a vaccine.

Fauci was asked if herd immunity could be achieved through two-thirds of the population taking a vaccine that was only 70% to 75% effective.

“No – unlikely,” he said.

• Informative
Reactions: NikolaACDC