Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to sign up for my third dose of Moderna for the end of next month even though I don't meet the criteria. I put in my information and it was accepted, though I suppose I could be turned away when I show up. I figure by then eligibility may have been expanded anyway.

I was able to sign up for my third dose of Moderna for the end of next month even though I don't meet the criteria. I put in my information and it was accepted, though I suppose I could be turned away when I show up. I figure by then eligibility may have been expanded anyway.
I get mine in less than 2 weeks. Getting it at the hospital instead of the pharmacy where I got the first 2 shots of Moderna so it will be in my hospital medical record. Even though we have a statewide record of vaccinations, apparently hospital systems don't access it, so I have to bring my CDC card with me to prove I had the first 2 shots. I qualify since I'm now 65. Makes all the endless Medicare supplement mail I get almost bearable.

I'm signed up for my 3rd dose but did it for Pfizer while my 1st two were Moderna.
When I did the online sign up a few days back Walgreens would only let you pick the the same one you had with the first two.
Ocso's online system let you put in your 1st two and let you pick a different one for the 3rd dose.

Graphic and orig source for below tweet via: PhD from @Cornell | mRNA Biochemist -- Rob Swanda @ScientistSwanda (tweet)
NOTE: someone did point out that the referenced document show 100 mcg for the Moderna while the booster is apparently 50 mcg. Not sure if that makes any difference for the 3rd shot.

X7yGbXk.jpg

That's not what he said. Try reading it again.
Oh sorry, missed the death words in restating for second time what Redfield said: "... In the last 6-8 weeks more than 40% of the people who died of covid where fully vaccinated ..." Are you saying he is lying?
To cut the chase and kill the argumentative talk, I'll state you are lying by stating there is a lie when there isn't. Your reference talks about how such statements maybe misleading to some. Not that the statistic is a lie, it is fact / truth. Some may employ that statistic to infer something they shouldn't, but I haven't seen that done here. What that statement was used to infer was that "0% of people in hospital are vaccinated people" is very unlikely. After that Daniel corrected his earlier statement.

Last edited:
Not that the statistic is a lie, it is fact / truth.
It is not. 40% is not 30% and 30% is the truth. Thus it's a lie, as well as misleading. In this case the relevant numbers are that 70% of deaths are in unvaccinated even though most people in the state are vaccinated, 66% fully vaccinated and 72% with at least one dose. So 70% of deaths are from the 28% of the population with no vaccination. That's the relevant data.

Yes, very stupid people make false accusations. And which irrational thought am I accused of? Only trying to assess the safety or non safety of vaccine for children. I made few or no assertions just trying to collect facts and opinions. Only idiots like yourself jump to conclusions.
This insulting, inappropriate behavior is not welcome here at TMC.

It is not. 40% is not 30% and 30% is the truth. Thus it's a lie, as well as misleading. In this case the relevant numbers are that 70% of deaths are in unvaccinated even though most people in the state are vaccinated, 66% fully vaccinated and 72% with at least one dose. So 70% of deaths are from the 28% of the population with no vaccination. That's the relevant data.
If you do the quick calculation, you see that the raw COVID death rate for unvaccinated in Maryland is ~6X that for the vaccinated. The ratio is even higher among adults, and higher still if you fully adjust for age.

Sorry, I'm not understanding. What exactly are you stating is a lie? Redfield states that 40% of the people in Maryland in the past 6-8 weeks were fully vaccinated. Are you saying that is a lie by Redfield?
@Terminator857
let me simplify it for you
in the 1950’s, in a Readers Digest I was reading at a younger age
the condensed story went
A Ford and a Russian Lata had a race.
the Ford won very easily

It was reported as

The Ford came in next to last, the Lata came in second

To simplify the above, it depends on how you present data, and how you want to interpret the data.

If you do the quick calculation, you see that the raw COVID death rate for unvaccinated in Maryland is ~6X that for the vaccinated. The ratio is even higher among adults, and higher still if you fully adjust for age.

Yep, it's a big reduction - and that adjustment for age is huge since risk goes up by 3x for every decade of age - and the vaccinated and unvaccinated groups are much different in age, even if you're looking at only adults.

And now boosters are widely available (which people definitely should get!) which will help close some of the gaps.

Boosters will make it harder to get to our ultimate goal of 100% of deaths being vaccinated though, haha.

Practically, the eligibility is so broad now for boosters that anyone past 6 months 18+ can get a booster…even though for most, your primary vaccine remains fairly effective against severe illness, who wants to get sick? Get your booster now, before Thanksgiving!

At this time last year the winter surge started, and cases appear to be leveling off now, unfortunately. I think it is likely to surge again a bit, but no specific predictions from me this time (I was so wrong on this last wave, except for the approximate timing of the peak within a week or so). Let’s get everyone boosters and make this round truly a pandemic of the unvaccinated (even though it basically still is, boosters will swing the balance more)! And be a little more careful this time too. Maybe don't gather inside crowded places without masks, this season?

I don't like that California is on the uptick again... Just going to be a lot more death this winter I suspect, but hopefully more vaccination and more boosters will help cut it down. Hopefully the boosters have longer lasting effects than the first two doses and can get people all the way through next spring at least. Israel is looking good so far but of course it has not been nearly long enough.

It makes a lot more sense to get more of the unvaccinated vaccinated of course, but seems like a lost cause with people just gladly giving up their jobs in their crusade against vaccination. They're very motivated!

Boosters look good so far...but we'll see, after 180 days or more...

Lancet Booster Study

Reactions: Jeff N and jerry33
COVID cases in California ticking back up as the rainy season starts. The best case scenario is they rise for a couple weeks and then fall again on their own, with a rise in hospitalizations/deaths not far out of line with the onset of a bad flu season. The worst case scenario is a substantial COVID wave.

But I don't think a Florida delta wave-like event is in the cards. At the onset of the delta wave, at the end of June, Florida had an overall vax rate slightly below the national average, with only about 60% of adults even partially vaccinated. And Florida was far behind the national average for vaccination rate among middle aged people. And Florida had below-average natural immunity too, since it hadn't been hit very hard in the December-January wave. So there were around 25-30% of Florida adults with no COVID immunity at all. California has less than half that percentage of no-immunity population.

But COVID is dangerous. It takes ~10% of the adult population getting COVID to overwhelm the hospital system. I'm not sure California is 90% immune yet, especially in rural areas.

Incidentally, I think Florida is close to done with COVID. Florida has become one of the better vaccinated states, and after the delta wave has a pretty high level of natural immunity too. There are not enough vulnerable people left to overwhelm the hospital system no matter how hard DeSantis tries.

COVID cases in California ticking back up as the rainy season starts. The best case scenario is they rise for a couple weeks and then fall again on their own, with a rise in hospitalizations/deaths not far out of line with the onset of a bad flu season. The worst case scenario is a substantial COVID wave.

But I don't think a Florida delta wave-like event is in the cards. At the onset of the delta wave, at the end of June, Florida had an overall vax rate slightly below the national average, with only about 60% of adults even partially vaccinated. And Florida was far behind the national average for vaccination rate among middle aged people. And Florida had below-average natural immunity too, since it hadn't been hit very hard in the December-January wave. So there were around 25-30% of Florida adults with no COVID immunity at all. California has less than half that percentage of no-immunity population.

But COVID is dangerous. It takes ~10% of the adult population getting COVID to overwhelm the hospital system. I'm not sure California is 90% immune yet, especially in rural areas.

Incidentally, I think Florida is close to done with COVID. Florida has become one of the better vaccinated states, and after the delta wave has a pretty high level of natural immunity too. There are not enough vulnerable people left to overwhelm the hospital system no matter how hard DeSantis tries.

I don't know about overwhelming the hospitals, but in the last few weeks Florida has risen in deaths/population from place 10 to place 7 among states in the US. California is on place 35. Florida now has 50% more deaths/population.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
But I don't think a Florida delta wave-like event is in the cards.
Depends how well the boosters go. Some of the rural counties could struggle and I hope that people go out and get boosters ASAP.

The thought/concern in some quarters that pushing boosters will destroy confidence in the primary vaccination series is insane, and I think that reluctance is making public health authorities not push the booster as hard as they did the original vaccine - and they really should be pushing hard and telling people (especially older people of course) they must get it, and soon.

If it wears off after six months, so be it. We’ll address that later.

Reactions: Jeff N
I don't know about overwhelming the hospitals, but in the last few weeks Florida has risen in deaths/population from place 10 to place 7 among states in the US. California is on place 35. Florida now has 50% more deaths/population.
it’s time for the wave of snowbirds to return here to florida. there are still a lot of houses with the storm shutters still up, plus all the weekly/monthly rentals.
a few months back Lee county had over 100% census in bed count, which has gone down
governor “DeathSantis” is very aggressively fighting mask mandates in the state, which are very politicized still.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
A study published by the CDC
Laboratory-Confirmed COVID-19 Among Adults Hospitalized ...

"Summary
What is already known about this topic?
Previous infection with SARS-CoV-2 or COVID-19 vaccination can provide immunity and protection against subsequent SARS-CoV-2 infection and illness.

What is added by this report?
Among COVID-19–like illness hospitalizations among adults aged ≥18 years whose previous infection or vaccination occurred 90–179 days earlier, the adjusted odds of laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 among unvaccinated adults with previous SARS-CoV-2 infection were 5.49-fold higher than the odds among fully vaccinated recipients of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine who had no previous documented infection (95% confidence interval = 2.75–10.99).

What are the implications for public health practice?
All eligible persons should be vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible, including unvaccinated persons previously infected with SARS-CoV-2."

I'm signed up for my 3rd dose but did it for Pfizer while my 1st two were Moderna.
I did end up getting my Pfizer shot yesterday. They did double-check that I wanted Pfizer when I had Moderna before.

My reaction to this 3rd shot has been stronger than my 2nd Moderna shot. I was fairly achy and fatigued today. Not awful as I just took at couple short naps and chilled.

Vsafe CDC gov had followed up with me yesterday via text since I was at my 6-month mark. It jumps to a website based on your response. It had an option to state if you got a 3rd does and double-checked that I entered Pfizer correctly in my response since I had Moderna twice before. It followed up again today to see how I felt and as soon as I put a 'fair' option is asked more questions. It seemed well done and easy to understand.