Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was simply responding to the literal text of your post. I think when trying to make a point you simply chose phrasing to support that point (phrasing which rendered the statement false).
I think you’re smart enough to understand the context and realize that prevent is used in multiple ways. If you have to play semantic word games you have pretty much conceded my point.

Moderna covid vax fully FDA approved, one more argument taken away from the anti-vax crowd, not that it will make a difference.

Also Novavax looking for emergency use approval for their non mRNA vax

• Informative
Reactions: madodel and jerry33
CBS News story today on why likely after benefits ended workers aren’t back to work at some job. I’ve wondered the same myself expecting those who were laidoff or quit would have to find other employment; and certainly we’re seeing employers everywhere looking for workers. News story looks at the more or less unspoken covid cost to employers and employees of people on long-covid.

As accounts of the debilitating effects on people with long covid symptoms have been discussed more but not in this context, I think the numbers we’ve heard medical professionals mention leaving hospitializations suffering from it can explain some of the loss of work force. Of course there are the worker deaths and missing family members no longer able to provide for a family impacted by covid.

It still astounds me knowing what we know about covid that people won’t vaccinate and haven’t upgraded their mask protection and followed other protocols. Like the guy recently in the news in need of a kidney transplant that prefers to die free of vaccine. I wonder if he has a family he has supported that thinks that’s just fine and responsible.

I was simply responding to the literal text of your post. I think when trying to make a point you simply chose phrasing to support that point (phrasing which rendered the statement false).

I know multiple people (boosted) who have successfully avoided infection from an individual in their own household. I hope you remain asymptomatic and everyone makes a full recovery. I’d recommend getting boosted a few weeks after your recovery, particularly if you remain asymptomatic. It’s very important to complete your vaccination series.

A link for the context behind Denmark’s lifting of restrictions. I think it largely makes sense, given the specifics of their situation. It’s a place the US could be as well, but sadly the freedom lovers have rendered it not possible for the time being.

If another variant comes along which is worse, the gov’t can tighten up again, if necessary, and still get credit and gain trust with the governed.

Excellent news; this appears to be the highest risk group amongst children, and great to see they will have protection soon:

Denmark lifting restrictions is good but not great. If you're vaxxed, you can enter the country. Just show vaxx card or whatever. Unvaxxed, need to get tested. While their death rates are damn near all time high, they still want to mention this type of restriction when they're clearly admitting that even though they're 90% vaxxed and over 70% boosted, their covid restrictions haven't and still are not working so they're getting rid of it, almost all restrictions. For some odd reason, people seem to want to give a vaxxed person a pass over an unvaxxed person (with or without prior infection) and think that this approach is perfectly fine n acceptable. What a crazy time we're livin in.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Apologize if this has already been posted and discussed but kind of goes along with my above CBS News article on long covid workers out of the workforce. Researchers in England using xenon have found in their small study that long haulers are shown to have lung damage that doesn’t get picked up on traditional x-rays and goes to explain why they remain so tired and out of breath. The lung scan is quite an eye-opener. Larger studies are planned. But for anyone thinking covid isn’t so bad and no big deal, they should read about this if they are trying to get better informed before vaccinating. Anyone with bad asthma or COPD will tell you not being able to get enough air is a horrible thing to live with. Long haulers have no idea when or if they will fully recover.

I know multiple people (boosted) who have successfully avoided infection from an individual in their own household. I hope you remain asymptomatic and everyone makes a full recovery. I’d recommend getting boosted a few weeks after your recovery, particularly if you remain asymptomatic. It’s very important to complete your vaccination series.

A link for the context behind Denmark’s lifting of restrictions. I think it largely makes sense, given the specifics of their situation. It’s a place the US could be as well, but sadly the freedom lovers have rendered it not possible for the time being.

If another variant comes along which is worse, the gov’t can tighten up again, if necessary, and still get credit and gain trust with the governed.

Excellent news; this appears to be the highest risk group amongst children, and great to see they will have protection soon:

At this point, I should have a combination of natural immunity (most likely Omicron) combined with the immunity from the vaccines which seem to work well. I feel great..

I stopped too for a short time last summer after being fully vaccinated, until we saw more and more breakthrough infections, then I started wearing them again. Easy enough for me to wear a mask, it's simply not the huge problem certain people pretend it to be.
Consindering the effectiveness of the vaccines, those who are vaccinated really have a very very small chance contracting severe disease, I treat this pandemic like I treat the flu at this point. COVID19 will not go away. It will be with us forever. Those who are not vaccinated will eventually get it and either die or develop immunity just like people did with the flu. If people couldn't get the vaccines, I would keep wearing masks but that time has passed.
Virtually everyone in our circle of friends has had COVID19, most of them luckily AFTER being vaccinated without any serious cases. I was one of the last to get it... It's funny, a year ago, I didn't personally know more than 3 people that had it... Now it's virtually everyone I know. It's incredible how easily this virus spreads..

Virtually everyone in our circle of friends has had COVID19, most of them luckily AFTER being vaccinated without any serious cases. I was one of the last to get it... It's funny, a year ago, I didn't personally know more than 3 people that had it... Now it's virtually everyone I know.
It's funny, because conversely, I have very few friends who have had it. My kids' two schools have had some infections but their infection rates hover in the 0-3% range during weekly testing. I'm kind of surprised we haven't gotten it considering the two different schools and the fact that my kids both play sports, but our schools are masked and 99% vaccinated/boosted which may help.

It's funny, because conversely, I have very few friends who have had it. My kids' two schools have had some infections but their infection rates hover in the 0-3% range during weekly testing. I'm kind of surprised we haven't gotten it considering the two different schools and the fact that my kids both play sports, but our schools are masked and 99% vaccinated/boosted which may help.
Interesting. That sounds like our situation as well. Glad we haven't had that issue.

Reactions: CatB and ohmman
It's funny, because conversely, I have very few friends who have had it.
Same here. The only people I know who had it either got it early on, or travel a lot, or are not vaxed. As the trend is the virus gets weaker over time with mutations delaying infection is beneficial.

At this point, I should have a combination of natural immunity (most likely Omicron) combined with the immunity from the vaccines which seem to work well. I feel great..
No one knows how they will react, you got lucky.
I treat this pandemic like I treat the flu at this point.
If it's like the flue then previous infection will not necessarily prevent future infection. That's why each year there is a different flu vaccine and some years it's not very effective.

Our friends in Arizona said they currently know 6 people with covid, most they've been aware of in two years. He has heart issues so they’ve been very careful and are lucky in that they can work from home. My cousin’s son and grandson got it recently (everyone vaccinated and boosted). Kid got it most likely at school and dad got it from him, but the spread has been extremely fast.

We’ve been double surgical masking for some time, maybe when Delta was high level here or when Omicron came on the scene, but health authorities here suggested it. Don’t find it a big deal to do. Husband thru work also has KN95 masks and test kits for when he has to stop in office.

My mom is moving to assisted living this month (from Ohio to Calif) and getting her apt. ready we’ve had to rapid test every 3 days, wear masks inside when going there. Been waiting for Ohio rates of omicron to come down for my husband to fly out and bring her here. Not something either of us are totally cool about doing. Now we’re seeing that B-variant spreading supposedly even faster than omicron so never seems a good time to do the move. Mom’s in her 90s, vaxed, boosted and wears a mask. Does go to grocery store and dr. appts and has caregivers coming to house. So far so good there with her but as her kid you worry all the same.

Same here. The only people I know who had it either got it early on, or travel a lot, or are not vaxed. As the trend is the virus gets weaker over time with mutations delaying infection is beneficial.

No one knows how they will react, you got lucky.

If it's like the flue then previous infection will not necessarily prevent future infection. That's why each year there is a different flu vaccine and some years it's not very effective.
Look, COVID19 will not go away. While I have no problem to temporarily run around with a mask, I won't do it for the rest of my life and many others feel the same way. People have the chance to protect themselves with vaccination

Don't forget, I'm in Florida. Florida was only shut down for like 3 months before permanently reopening while CA had things like Restaurants shut down until a few months ago. Herd immunity has progressed in Florida a lot more than states that had restrictions. Fatality rate per case is very low here due to many people having had COVID19 in combination with a good vaccination rate (while Florida is not at the top, we still have a pretty decent vaccination rate). The more herd and vaccination immunity, the lower the death rate.
Due to the extreme infectiousness of several COVID variants, the number of infections will be high but what matters is the outcome and severity. I don't care if we have 70000 cases in a day if only a small fraction require emergency room visits. As time goes on, less and less people will require Hospital/Emergency Room visits with COVID19.

Don't forget, I'm in Florida. Florida was only shut down for like 3 months before permanently reopening while CA had things like Restaurants shut down until a few months ago. Herd immunity has progressed in Florida a lot more than states that had restrictions. Fatality rate per case is very low here due to many people having had COVID19 in combination with a good vaccination rate (while Florida is not at the top, we still have a pretty decent vaccination rate). The more herd and vaccination immunity, the lower the death rate.
Due to the extreme infectiousness of several COVID variants, the number of infections will be high but what matters is the outcome and severity. I don't care if we have 70000 cases in a day if only a small fraction require emergency room visits. As time goes on, less and less people will require Hospital/Emergency Room visits with COVID19.
California opened restaurants and other facilities last June. It's also an enormous state with very different approaches to COVID throughout. When I go to the Sierras, masking is hit-or-miss, but in the Bay Area it's almost 100%.

Florida ranks as the 18th highest state in fatality rate per case. California is 38th highest, or the 12th lowest.

Hoping your symptoms stay mild or nonexistent and things pass quickly. Same for your wife.

In los angeles, only time you really see anyone wearing masks is indoors. Sporting events? Mainly just to get in. Once inside, hardly anyone keeps it on. Just look at our governor last Sunday at the rams 49ers game. Quick to mandate masks but not when it applies to himself. Who needs a mask when you want a selfie with magic johnson?

As with long haulers we still don’t know impact on individuals who contract covid and how it has affected your body long term. Chancing a potentially chronic long term disability by not being as careful as you can. How would that inpact you or your family let alone quality of life?

I remember a guy, some Gen whatever, on here early on who said he was healthy wasn’t worried and didn’t think he needed to be concerned about his kids. Back then it wasn’t coming for his age group, just the “old folk”. Then of course we saw how kids could be affected and were getting it as well as healthy adults and younger people.

Isn’t there some saying about “if you don’t have your health you don’t have anything”?

Last edited:
Reactions: msm859 and madodel
California opened restaurants and other facilities last June. It's also an enormous state with very different approaches to COVID throughout. When I go to the Sierras, masking is hit-or-miss, but in the Bay Area it's almost 100%.

Florida ranks as the 18th highest state in fatality rate per case. California is 38th highest, or the 12th lowest.

Hoping your symptoms stay mild or nonexistent and things pass quickly. Same for your wife.
I believe we are 18th in fatality per million, not per case.. I have to look up the statistics to make sure..
Thanks for the good wishes. Wife is almost done with it.. She may be negative already..

Last edited:
As with long haulers we still don’t know impact on individuals who contract covid and how it has affected your body long term. Chancing a potentially chronic long term disability by not being as careful as you can. How would that inpact you or your family let alone quality of life?

I remember a guy, some Gen whatever, on here early on who said he was healthy wasn’t worried and didn’t think he needed to be concerned about his kids. Back then it wasn’t coming for his age group, just the “old folk”. Then of course we saw how kids could be affected and were getting it as well as healthy adults and younger people.

Isn’t there some saying about “if you don’t have your health you don’t have anything”?
Hospital numbers in my county are coming down steadily in the past few days. But I'm seeing more people wearing masks out. It's tricked us a few times so far so who knows what happens next. All viruses have the ability to adapt, some more than others. COVID definitely has changed every time the experts figure out how to contain it. Makes it easier for the clueless to keep attacking the whole effort, but we have to keep trying.