Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems relevant, though perhaps not newsworthy. Elon demonstrating his extremely limited grasp of virology again, though. And I say that as someone who has a very limited grasp of virology!!!

It is an interesting question though .... We know how we define a "species". But do you define a "species" among virus (or the disease they cause).

BTW, it demonstrates that it is easy to get sucked into conspiracies and believe what is beneficial to you (and fervently hope is true). Is CA never forced a lockdown of Fremont he would have never gone down the rabbit hole of Covid conspiracy theories.

I don't think that's a foregone conclusion. Remember he was saying Covid would likely be gone by April 2020 long before the Fremont lockdown. He was in Covid denial from day one.
But I think the real turning point was the lockdown.

In other news - last week the cases in the school district doubled and in King County its going up 25%.

Wonder how big this wave will be.

This is one of big remaining questions out there. Looks like studies (so far) on vaccination only show modest reduction in likelihood of long COVID (cuts risk roughly in half, given infection (higher efficacy if you account for infection prevention of course)). I wonder what confounding factors remain in those estimates though...

Definitely can't find out about Paxlovid impact soon enough and in spite of significant drug interactions, I hope they expand access beyond people at high risk (assuming it shows some benefit...but may be well worth expanding access FIRST, until we see that it does NOT provide any benefit).

Wonder how big this wave will be.
I keep going back and forth on this. Last week I was convinced that we were going to be different than other European countries (theory being that we've had a lot more infections than, for example, the UK, so we have more population immunity in spite of abysmal vaccination rates). Can look at deaths as a rough proxy for this. UK has had fewer deaths per capita than us even though they're substantially older (two years makes a huge difference). Admittedly they have may have better health care for this purpose. Other the other hand, they may well track actual deaths better, too. Vaccine rollouts also impact this metric.

I'm just not sure. In any case, if you look at Peru, they've clearly had a lot of death, but very limit impact from Omicron (lots of cases though). So I guess that supports the argument...but maybe we haven't had nearly enough infection yet.

Hard to say. But my sense is that we've had substantially more infection than many of these countries and it might make a difference in spite of low vaccination rates. I think we'll have a wave (we already are, as has been predicted for a couple months), but really wondering about how it compares in case load to other countries (it's quite bad in the UK and France though not approaching anywhere near their prior peaks).
Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 5.32.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 5.40.02 PM.png

Reactions: FlatSix911
Not directly Covid related but Moderna's new flu vaccine shows more side effects than an existing one.

Roughly twice as many individuals receiving mRNA-1010 experienced side effects as did those taking Afluria. This glaring discrepancy was seen across all age groups and for both local and systemic adverse reactions.

a) "U.S. regulators[FDA] on Tuesday authorized another COVID-19 booster for people age 50 and older, a step to offer extra protection for the most vulnerable in case the coronavirus rebounds."

"The shots can be given at least 4 months after a first booster dose, and available immediately after CDC approval—soon."

b)

Additional protection for Seniors and Immunocompromised individuals.

“Today, CDC expanded eligibility for an additional booster dose for certain individuals who may be at higher risk of severe outcomes from COVID-19. Boosters are safe, and people over the age of 50 can now get an additional booster 4 months after their prior dose to increase their protection further. This is especially important for those 65 and older and those 50 and older with underlying medical conditions that increase their risk for severe disease from COVID-19 as they are the most likely to benefit from receiving an additional booster dose at this time. CDC, in collaboration with FDA and our public health partners, will continue to evaluate the need for additional booster doses for all Americans.”

The agency amended the emergency use authorizations as follows:

• A second booster dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine or Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine may be administered to individuals 50 years of age and older at least 4 months after receipt of a first booster dose of any authorized or approved COVID-19 vaccine.
  • A second booster dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine may be administered to individuals 12 years of age and older with certain kinds of immunocompromise at least 4 months after receipt of a first booster dose of any authorized or approved COVID-19 vaccine. These are people who have undergone solid organ transplantation, or who are living with conditions that are considered to have an equivalent level of immunocompromise.
  • A second booster dose of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine may be administered at least 4 months after the first booster dose of any authorized or approved COVID-19 vaccine to individuals 18 years of age and older with the same certain kinds of immunocompromise.

New way to detect COVID, article quote from Baltimore Sun apparently.

The researchers said there is no sample preparation and it requires minimal operator expertise. They currently plan to use a swab test to acquire the saliva.

To process, the sensor uses machine learning and a combination of other technologies to detect viruses. That includes a process called nanoimprint fabrication and a kind of spectroscopy to analyze the saliva sample, which is using laser light to look at amplified molecules.

The process can detect even traces of virus, said David Gracias, a Hopkins professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering and another senior study author with Barman.

“Our platform goes beyond the current COVID-19 pandemic,” said Barman. “We can use this for broad testing against different viruses, for instance, to differentiate between SARS-CoV-2 and H1N1, and even variants. This is a major issue that can’t be readily addressed by current rapid tests.”

Reactions: EVNow and JRP3