Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might want to boost with natural immunity now (while the previous booster gives you protection) just in case the next strain is tougher.
LOL. I'm not sure "natural immunity" is better than long covid.

BTW, I don't think you even read that news article. It gives info from multiple studies that show differing results. And it ends with the following.

Despite the unknowns, one thing is clear to Schulze zur Wiesch: Unless you were infected by omicron in the last week or two, a vaccine or booster is your best chance at avoiding a COVID infection and giving it to others.

Most importantly - why would I actively get infected, so that I won't get infected in the future ? I might as well get infected in the future, right ? Whats the difference ?

It is the stupidest thing I've ever read - get infected now so you won't get infected later. Its like committing suicide now to reduce probability of dying in a traffic accident later.

Last edited:
This is a very interesting new paper about the UK volunteers who were deliberately infected with the early pre-alpha wild-type virus.

Half the people don't develop Covid even after being injected with virus. So, ~ 50% had natural immunity.

1648751947856.png

You might want to boost with natural immunity now (while the previous booster gives you protection) just in case the next strain is tougher.

Natural immunity from a booster would be fine, but since that is likely not what you meant, this is ridiculous nonsense. Infection-acquired immunity works, but it is an unnecessary risk. It would be insane to seek out infection.

This doesn’t even make any sense. For this “strategy,” why not get the natural immunity from a second booster and then take chances on infection (while not seeking it out), “while the second booster gives you protection?”

Immune-evasive variants that are more virulent are possible, but there’s no evidence that infection-acquired immunity would be better than vaccine-acquired natural immunity in that case. For example, Omicron infection in those with no vaccination history (even if there was prior infection) led to weaker measured antibody protection against other variants, than infection by Omicron after vaccination did. This is well covered in this thread.

Natural immunity is great - but it is best and most reliably acquired from a low-risk vaccine.

Not eligible for the booster without cheating again, so for now I’ll wait. 7 months out.

Covid even after being injected with virus. So, ~ 50% had natural immunity.
It was intranasal drops. And the dose was deliberately chosen to get an endpoint of 50-70% of the population infected (dose model of infection). It was 10x the TCID50 that people were exposed to that seemed to give this result.

This does not exactly mean “immunity,” at least not in the sense we think about after infection/vaccination. It means that the innate immunity of the human body (non-targeted responses, interferon or whatever) was able to repel this dose in 50% of individuals. It’s quite likely that these people can become infected - they have no targeted (adaptive) immunity. Obviously they checked for antibodies during this trial (two people were excluded because they seroconverted).

Titrating the dose was likely one way they improved the safety of this trial.

Last edited:
It was intranasal drops. And the dose was deliberately chosen to get an endpoint of 50-70% of the population infected (dose model of infection). It was 10x the TCID50 that people were exposed to that seemed to give this result.

This does not exactly mean “immunity,” at least not in the sense we think about after infection/vaccination. It means that the innate immunity of the human body (non-targeted responses, interferon or whatever) was able to repel this dose in 50% of individuals. It’s quite likely that these people can become infected - they have no targeted (adaptive) immunity. Obviously they checked for antibodies during this trial (two people were excluded because they seroconverted).

Titrating the dose was likely one way they improved the safety of this trial.
One of the ~18 people who didn’t become infected during the trial was “naturally” infected soon after it was over.

I have the impression that the viral dose given to the volunteers was relatively low — far lower than doses of the flu given to people in challenge studies. I suspect you are right that the dose was low enough that 47% of the subjects were simply able to shrug off the virus with typical innate immunity mechanisms.

It was 10x the TCID50 that people were exposed to that seemed to give this result.

This does not exactly mean “immunity,” at least not in the sense we think about after infection/vaccination.
I'd call this "natural immunity" - just the way vaccinated people can still get the disease, these people might get the disease at higher doses, but they don't get infected with doses that are 10x what would infect 50% of people.

This would, for eg., explain why some people in a household get infected and not others.

, but they don't get infected with doses that are 10x what would infect 50% of people.
That’s not what happened. As I understand it, they got 10x TCID50. This infected 50% of people.

Note TCID50 is not defined as the dose that would infect 50% of people.

So the people in this study got a dose that would infect 50% of people. Which was 10 TCID50.

Sure, it’s natural immunity, in a sense. Similar to how every microbe and disease does not infect an individual, many people can neutralize small doses of infectious virus. But put these people in a room with someone who is infectious, exposing them to typical levels of viral particles, and they’re very likely going to be infected.

At least that is my understanding.

Anyway, I definitely would not conclude from this that 50% of these people, with no adaptive immunity to this specific coronavirus, can hang around someone infectious and not get infected. They were simply challenged with small doses of virus in non-aerosolized form, not deep into the lungs, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff N and JRP3
Covid hospitalizations are below 12k, lowest since this all started. Hospitalizations were 150k+ in January. I saw another chart which said only 2k were in the ICU now vs. 3.6k at last summer's low point. Deaths have fallen >75% from the peak in late January, but at 582/day are still more than twice last year's low point. The trend is still downward, and based on hospitalization/ICU we might get as low as 150/day.

Like the other two new arrivals, XE is a recombinant strain, meaning it is made up of two previously-distinct variants. But it is not a Deltacron mix. XE is actually made up of the original Omicron (BA.1) and the newer Omicron (BA.2) which has taken over in the U.S.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Most importantly - why would I actively get infected, so that I won't get infected in the future ? I might as well get infected in the future, right ? Whats the difference ?

It is the stupidest thing I've ever read - get infected now so you won't get infected later. Its like committing suicide now to reduce probability of dying in a traffic accident later.

You were missing the point. Now you have a weak (omicron) strain which your body can handle (safely) with your existing resistance from previous vaccination. The protection you get from natural infection is then better than getting a new vaccination.

This is currently not the same as in the beginning of the pandemic when the strains were much more severe (and maybe you didn't yet have an underlying vaccination).

Using your "traffic accident analogy" vaccination gives you a ** safety rating in a car (and for a shorter period!) and natural immunity gives you **** (for a longer period) which one you want to drive into the sunset?

Further discussion here: