Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will be interesting to see how this goes! I predict a lot of infections! We’ll never get a count of the deaths of course, but presumably will certainly be in excess of 500k based on New Zealand results; probably the lower limit. (And I’d expect in the 1-2 million range over the next 12-18 months if I had to guess.)

I’m particularly curious how the “much reduced virulence of Omicron” messaging pans out here. Clearly not as bad as Delta…but it is not a walk in the park to the immune naïve.

First link is a gift, the second seemed to have no restrictions but was unclear to me…

But anyway I guess overall this is good. Wish they had worked more on vaccinating older people over the last couple years. Not sure what they have been doing. Hopefully they’ll push N95 masking in places where possible to help reduce transmission, otherwise it’s going to get pretty heated!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jeff N and DrGriz
Now we should get to see the truth.

88F38018-8C7C-4E5A-B750-50C83B80E0E8.jpeg

Fauci I think is STILL saying we should wear mask (I hope most of you guys are)... still saying we should get boostered (I hope you guys are getting your 3rd or is it the 5th shot? - sorry I stopped counting)... still saying lock downs was a good idea.. etc...

Like defund the police which my friend believed in a while ago which he no longer talks about anymore... The COVID response will be slowly "memory holed" by people who were wrong... However, those affected will try to keep it in the spot light. It will be like those "separate by equal" supporters in the 60's. When they found out they were on the wrong side of history, they then say: "yeah, you're mistaken I'm for equal rights all this time.. 'separate by equal' was a bad idea"... Remember during the "separate by equal" era, almost 50% of the population supported it. Afterwards, crickets... No one would admit they were for it. We can kinda of see it already happening in this thread. People who know in their "hearts or hearts" they were wrong, no longer want to debate COVID. It's just human nature. I don't fault them for it. However, next time I do wish they would user critical thinking skills and research ideas more.

I still wear a N95 mask indoors in most places because I don’t want to get COVID. If you don’t care, then I don’t care what you do. I sometimes wear a vented N95 because they work better (for me); I only do that in places where no one is wearing masks and they are not required.

Fauci is right to recommend masking in appropriate situations (whatever he has said; I’ll take your word for it - but what he has said I am sure is correct even though I don’t even know what it is - because I trust him). And he is certainly correct that getting the bivalent booster is a good idea! Who wants to be sick? May as well minimize your chances. I’m on number 5. I am hoping to avoid COVID, but this is the riskiest time of year, so we will see. I’m not really worried about getting it, but I don’t want to get it.

If you’d like to debate COVID and explain what we got wrong and who got what right, this is the thread.

The reality is around 1 million lives in the US were likely saved by public health interventions. We could have saved a lot more with better vaccine messaging and less political strife. It’s sad how many deaths occurred after widespread availability of vaccines. But I think there were successes, for sure.

If you have some specific issues, fire away. You seem to be speaking mostly in generalities so not sure what you think we got wrong.

For sure it was possible to do better, though! Hopefully we will learn from what went right and what actually went wrong and do better next time, rather than drawing all the wrong conclusions.

I would guess you will not want to debate COVID here though.

I still wear a N95 mask indoors in most places because I don’t want to get COVID. If you don’t care, then I don’t care what you do. I sometimes wear a vented N95 because they work better (for me); I only do that in places where no one is wearing masks and they are not required.

Fauci is right to recommend masking in appropriate situations (whatever he has said; I’ll take your word for it - but what he has said I am sure is correct even though I don’t even know what it is - because I trust him). And he is certainly correct that getting the bivalent booster is a good idea! Who wants to be sick? May as well minimize your chances. I’m on number 5. I am hoping to avoid COVID, but this is the riskiest time of year, so we will see. I’m not really worried about getting it, but I don’t want to get it.

If you’d like to debate COVID and explain what we got wrong and who got what right, this is the thread.

The reality is around 1 million lives in the US were likely saved by public health interventions. We could have saved a lot more with better vaccine messaging and less political strife. It’s sad how many deaths occurred after widespread availability of vaccines. But I think there were successes, for sure.

If you have some specific issues, fire away. You seem to be speaking mostly in generalities so not sure what you think we got wrong.

For sure it was possible to do better, though! Hopefully we will learn from what went right and what actually went wrong and do better next time, rather than drawing all the wrong conclusions.

I would guess you will not want to debate COVID here though.

I really don't want to debate COVID here. To be honest, the results are already in. Regardless if you wear a mask or not... Regardless if you get your 5th booster, it just doesn't matter at this point.

Fauci is no longer being paraded on the news (I hear he's retiring and a lot of news stations don't want him on for some reason). Every time I walk outside, 95% to 99% are not wearing mask - apparently the general population do not wish to follow Fauci's guidance. People are not yelling in other people's faces to get vaccinated or boosted. No lock downs... (I live in Illinois - a blue state; no less). Young kids are going to school without masks. Nobody yelling in other peoples faces to wear a mask. etc.. etc..

Things are quite different than it was a few years ago. I still remember when people thought you were worse than a serial killer if you didn't wear a mask... and I still remember when doctors said they would refuse to help patients who didn't have their vaccine shots. Basically, doctors saying they would be willing to allow patients to die. Now, you don't hear doctors saying this and a lot of these types of tweets are being silently deleted.

Times are a changing. There will be those on the right side of history and there will be those on the wrong side. Those on the wrong side - most of these people will ultimately deny they were on the wrong side of history.. Some will believe they weren't on the wrong side at all and die believing they were on the right side even if the world thinks other wise. Oh well whatever...

... and I still remember when doctors said they would refuse to help patients who didn't have their vaccine shots. Basically, doctors saying they would be willing to allow patients to die...
I will be the first to admit that there's been some real frustration with patients who for whatever reason chose not to be vaccinated, when we have seen with our own eyes (not tweets from strangers or even published reports) the difference that it's made, to this very day. But I never ever heard anyone refuse to help those patients or say that they would simply allow them to die. It would be completely unethical. I don't believe a physician would keep their job for two minutes if they said that publicly. But I haven't been everywhere and I am sorry if you actually encountered that.

Every time I walk outside, 95% to 99% are not wearing mask -

That’s good because there’s not really any reason for that. Outside is quite safe.

apparently the general population do not wish to follow Fauci's guidance.

But this is not his guidance (to wear masks outside)!

Nobody yelling in other peoples faces to wear a mask. etc.. etc..

Good!

Basically, doctors saying they would be willing to allow patients to die

remember when doctors said they would refuse to help patients who didn't have their vaccine shots.

All seems very bad. Details?

I really don't want to debate COVID here.

🤔

I feel like we've now come full circle and somehow that makes me feel warm and fuzzy, though I'm not sure why it should. It just seems like we've reached the absurd phase, where we already know most of the answers and so we can just guffaw at things that are absurd:

Screenshot 2022-12-11 at 11.03.58 PM.png

Unfortunately this general vein of Tweeting does tend to unleash the crazies upon the oppressors of their fever dreams, so it's not of zero consequence.

(This was from this discussion here.)

Next up he'll be pushing D**d S*dd*nly, he'll just be asking questions.

Last edited:
The results are in: Wearing masks, getting vaccinated, social distancing is (at present just like in the last years) saving millions of lives worldwide.

Then why has the world stopped wearing masks (as compared to a few years ago).. and why isn't there a bigger push for vaccinations (or even vaccine mandates)? If these items are saving millions of lives, why haven't we continued to do such things, but instead, we seemed laxed about it. If it's societies best interest to have people wear mask, get vaccinated, and have lockdowns... etc.. etc.. why isn't the government pushing these things like they use to; and putting people in jail like the Chinese did a few weeks ago. The USA haven't been doing these things for the past year IIRC. I'm sure there must be bodies and bodies of dead people in the hospitals now.

Then why has the world stopped wearing masks (as compared to a few years ago).. and why isn't there a bigger push for vaccinations (or even vaccine mandates)? If these items are saving millions of lives, why haven't we continued to do such things, but instead, we seemed laxed about it. If it's societies best interest to have people wear mask, get vaccinated, and have lockdowns... etc.. etc.. why isn't the government pushing these things like they use to; and putting people in jail like the Chinese did a few weeks ago. The USA haven't been doing these things for the past year IIRC. I'm sure there must be bodies and bodies of dead people in the hospitals now.
I believe the current rate is 300 Covid deaths per day in the U.S. The CDC released guidance a couple of weeks ago that people should continue to wear masks, which also help to prevent getting the flu.

Then why has the world stopped wearing masks (as compared to a few years ago)..
Many countries are still masking, even outdoors. Of course these are mostly Asian countries where even before the pandemic masking when ill or at risk was considered the norm. Funny how some people considered masking to be some impossible sacrifice where for others it's just common sense.

The USA haven't been doing these things for the past year IIRC. I'm sure there must be bodies and bodies of dead people in the hospitals now.
You know where the highest per capita deaths were after vaccines became available?

Partisan differences in COVID-19 death rates expanded dramatically after the availability of vaccines increased. Unvaccinated people are at far higher risk of death and hospitalization from COVID-19, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and vaccination decisions are strongly associated with partisanship. Among the large majority of counties for which reliable vaccination data exists, counties that supported Trump at higher margins have substantially lower vaccination rates than those that supported Biden at higher margins.

The reason we have had such an anti-vax and anti-mask and anti-lockdown in this country is mainly due to two things. Primary is the stand taken by political leaders such as Trump, DeSantis, and Abbot. Laws outlawing lockdown and mandates permeated many states. Florida outlawed requiring masks in most places. and outlawed the use of vaccine cards for admittance.

The second item was religious backlash which closely followed the same leaders mentioned above.

So the overall reason was political with decision makers looking more at their polling than the lives of their constituents. As a people we deserve what we get when we elect such poor leaders.

You know where the highest per capita deaths were after vaccines became available?

Sadly, if something comes along that is as virulent and deadly as the Black Plague again, Darwin will be proofed.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz and jerry33