Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anecdotally, people I know in Shanghai are reporting that 40% of the office is out with COVID over the course of about 1-2 weeks (office size in the thousands).

So seems like they are on target for getting through this quickly.

I’m not sure how contagious it is. Seems like it could be a bit contagious. According to @juk it is the vaccinations, though.

It sounds like things were so safe and screened for a while that people didn’t bother with masking, so when all the screening was dropped, people continued those practices in the office. Packing everyone into confined spaces has had the intended result.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
I think they probably masked, but from what I've seen few people have N95 masks.
No, they did not mask (there is (and was) no actual requirement indoors in a business). Also yes, those few who did, not N95.

I asked!

It was too safe for masking, and they stuck to that strategy as conditions rapidly changed. (Basically all disease surveillance and screening was immediately dropped.)

I assume it is ripping through the Gigafactory as we speak. Like ripping off a bandaid. Very unfortunate that more was not done to properly establish protections first (if so, this strategy would have been fine). 1-2 million deaths incoming, probably. We’ll never know.

Last edited:
Counterpoint: nearly everyone not wearing masks has had COVID.
Apparently some people posting here have way more credence than the rest of us, at least with China. Going from locking people in their homes to anything goes seems rash but I'm sure they have their rocket surgeons in charge so it will all be good.

Apparently some people posting here have way more credence than the rest of us, at least with China. Going from locking people in their homes to anything goes seems rash but I'm sure they have their rocket surgeons in charge so it will all be good.
That statement of mine up above of course does not apply to China (was talking about places which have had many waves at this point).

In China, they are not wearing masks, and not previously infected. There were so many good experiments they could have run to look at vaccine efficacy, etc.

Last edited:
That statement of mine up above of course does not apply to China (was talking about places which have had many waves at this point).

In China, they are not wearing masks, and not previously infected. There were so many good experiments they could have run to look at vaccine efficacy, etc.
My understanding is they have poor vaccination rates especially among the older non-working age groups.

@juk , look.

I'll be the first to say that vaccinating with single target spike protein vaccines for mRNA viruses which are constantly mutating may not be the best long-term solution to the situation, because you can never keep up with the mutations.

When I see those graphs from the non-peer reviewed preprint article (you might link those for us when you quote them) you posted,

[It is a Cleveland Clinic study of generally healthy individuals who were employees, some of whom were working in high-risk environments, average age of 42. It is not a study of the general population and excludes many of the highest risk groups.]

Here is what the authors conclude, despite the confounding findings in the graph you posted:

Here is what I think: the people who are most likely to vaccinate are those who are or who perceive themselves to be at higher risk. This is not only underlying conditions but also higher risk environments. Not all, but many. Therefore, there is a self-selection process going on that may skew the data to what you are seeing.

This same self-selection could be affecting the hospitalization data you brought us above with your incredibly high relative risk numbers.

In addition, it is important to remember that at this time, we are counting the people hospitalized with covid the same as people hospitalized for covid. That number is not insignificant.

Furthermore, hospitalizations for Covid are RARE. Here is a comparative graph for hospitalizations per million showing the variations. With the exception of France, it is in the range of 100 per million during peaks, and much lower much of the rest of the time.

View attachment 887485

Given the low numbers, possibly cut in half by coincident infection, it is hard to draw conclusions about causation from vaccination. People who are at higher risk for covid are also at higher risk for other conditions that might hospitalize them (older, diabetic, obese, arthritic, etc).

I want to see a prospective paper that studies matched patients who are of comparable risk in terms of underlying conditions and age, and that excludes prior infection (which is a confounding variable and may be hard to determine) then compares vaccinated to nonvaccinated for subsequent covid infection and hospitalization due to Covid. Then I might entertain your idea that vaccination causes disease. Not saying it couldn't be a thing, but your examples don't show that. There are other explanations.
It feels like you're trying to talk it down, when what we should be saying is that dose response is one of the strongest indicators of effect that we have and now we see it across multiple data sets for more than 18 months, we should probably take it seriously.

It was monumentally stupid to give everyone the exact same shitty immune response. And to do that with a toxin was insane or criminal, take your pick.

Fortunately i've got a larger data set (600 million) that shows the same effects.

1671668380530.png

to the moon!!!

It feels like you're trying to talk it down, when what we should be saying is that dose response is one of the strongest indicators of effect that we have and now we see it across multiple data sets for more than 18 months, we should probably take it seriously.

It was monumentally stupid to give everyone the exact same shitty immune response. And to do that with a toxin was insane or criminal, take your pick.

Fortunately i've got a larger data set (600 million) that shows the same effects.

View attachment 887676

to the moon!!!
Maybe the virus changed around the end of 2021?
Almost none of the word was vaccinated at the first inflection point of that graph.

And the next 12 months was like "stuff it, let's just along with it" rather than bothering to show any improvement or effect of the intervention at all.

Nothing, no beneficial effect at all, all it did was get worse.

Once again, I ask, if these things work, why can't we see that they work?

1671671068377.png

Was that from the Lancet study that was out by 105,750%? I think that was the one i got the data from.

Of note is that the 1918 pandemic was over by now, but we've managed to keep this one kicking along. Kinda like everything we've done was wrong.

Was that from the Lancet study that was out by 105,750%? I think that was the one i got the data from.

Of note is that the 1918 pandemic was over by now, but we've managed to keep this one kicking along. Kinda like everything we've done was wrong.
The Covid Data on OurWorldinData (that generated the graph) comes from Johns Hopkins. If that's what you are asking.

Oh, you made it up.

Why dont people trust doctors anymore?
I see. You didn't do your own work. Sorry, I gave you credit where it wasn't deserved. The graph as you posted it was modified by someone who was trying to manipulate you into believing something that wasn't there. You should find more trustworthy sources. This is the actual graph as it exists today.

There are no lines.

1671674702566.png