Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife always tells her patients to take additional Vit D3 supplements. She told me that it helps with the immune system but never mentioned to me the aFib benefit. I'll ask her about that.
I asked my wife about Vitamin D. She wasn't aware of the study showing the risk reduction with above recommended levels of Vit D. She will look into it. She said that many if not most of her patients are Vit D deficient which is why she has many patients on Vit D. Also most are elderly so are prone to osteoporosis. She also noted that D is a fat-soluble vitamin so you have to be careful of not taking too much Vit D.

Reactions: DrGriz and jerry33
I just wanted to share with you all this google search on vitamin D supplementation. My point is that 10 years ago, Vit D supplementation was a slam dunk for prevention of falls and improvement of bone mineral density. Fast forward to today, and you see that the current literature says that's all bunk. This is all from well respected sources.

This stuff is hard to study. Much of it is population based and subject to selection bias. Be skeptical when you read about supplements doing anything, especially at that level.

While vitamin D is important in immunity (for instance to fighting covid), bone health and falls, the evidence for supplemental Vit D does not necessarily line up.

1688409950774.png

1688409768446.png

Attachments

• 1688409500250.png
    1688409500250.png
    155.9 KB · Views: 51
I think it's worth mentioning that nobody in the US outside of Alaska lives as far north as everybody in Finland, where those studies were done. And that has everything to do with vitamin d levels.

North America is quite a bit south of Europe. There are only three cities in all of North America with a population larger than 100,000 people north of London, UK.

I am sorry for you, then! :)
You as an individual may very well benefit from vitamin D supplementation.

Yes, I have had patients who are like you and they have seriously low vitamin D levels. I have had to use crazy amounts of Vitamin D supplements to get their levels into the normal range.

And absolutely vitamin D is involved in more than bone health. The question is a population based one. Who should be supplemented? Everyone? or just those who are found to have low levels. And what should be the target.

The incidence of vitamin D deficiency is likely to be higher in Finland than many other places due to latitude alone. Also, from what I read, they talked about fortifying milk with vitamin D as if it were something new. We've done that for a long time here.

Anyway, from the perspective of a population and how to address low levels, it's different in Finland than in the continental US. That's my point.

I'm the opposite of you. I store vitamin D like crazy and overdose easily. My genetics come from very far north, all my ancestors come from north of the European continent. I sometimes take a low dose of vitamin D in the depth of winter, but getting too much sun in the summer can lead to overdose symptoms. On blood tests I test low on vitamin D, but I think that's the way my body likes it.

My partner's genetics are central American and Mediterranean. She take large doses of vitamin D to just remain in the normal range.

North America is quite a bit south of Europe. There are only three cities in all of North America with a population larger than 100,000 people north of London, UK.

I'm the opposite of you. I store vitamin D like crazy and overdose easily. My genetics come from very far north, all my ancestors come from north of the European continent. I sometimes take a low dose of vitamin D in the depth of winter, but getting too much sun in the summer can lead to overdose symptoms. On blood tests I test low on vitamin D, but I think that's the way my body likes it.

My partner's genetics are central American and Mediterranean. She take large doses of vitamin D to just remain in the normal range.
You raise a good point. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin. So, it begs the question: do blood (mostly water) levels accurately reflect vitamin D sufficiency or deficiency?

Another snip from Google follows. Decent sources. What percentage of the US population is deficient? Is it 5%, or is it 42%? Why are these estimates, published a year apart, so different?

1688874597821.png

Well, one article may be talking about "severe" deficiency, you might say, and another about just "deficient". But what does that mean? Do all of those people with Vit D blood levels below 30 (nearly half) really have a problem?

And what is so magical about 30? Some say it is 20.

1688875019550.png

Or maybe between 20 and 50! Well, what's so magical about 20? or 30? Awfully round numbers, aren't they? Why not a normal of 18.3? Or 32.7?

Well, it's almost as though you can pick your favorite number and plug it in! Wow!

What I am getting at is, when we can't even decide on a threshold for normal, how can we determine a cause and effect association?

Now, back to Covid. Vitamin D deficiency "associated" with worse mortality and morbidity. Right? So we treat with supplementation. Does it work? Depends on who you ask.

1688875557183.png

Really, not so much. Again, supplementation doesn't seem to treat Covid in people who appear to be deficient.

1688875848081.png

Bottom line:

Experts don't agree on what blood levels constitute vitamin D deficiency.
Supplementation of people with "low" blood levels, keeps on disappointing.

I suspect that conditions that cause falls, immune deficiency, and so forth, also cause "low" blood levels of vitamin D, which may not actually reflect actual body stores.

Sorry for the rant! Cheers!

7, 8, 9 weeks out April 12 2023 moving average is still 201. (It was 195 at the 5 week mark)
6, 7, 8 weeks out April 18 2023 moving average is 192 (has not changed since the 6 week was observed)
7 weeks out April 26 moving average is 193 (first time I've included this date)
6 weeks out May 2nd moving average is 157 (first time I've included this date)

8+ weeks out April 26 moving average is 193 (no change)
8+ weeks out May 2nd moving average is 158 (was 157)
8+ weeks out May 16 moving average is 103
7 weeks out May 31 moving average is 103 (small plateau there)
6 weeks out June 8 moving average is 84

So I phased out wearing masks in public once spring allergies ran their course. So far 3.5 years in I haven't caught covid (as far as I know). At least I can say I have no reason to think I was ever directly exposed to it.

1689569218921.png

Unfortunately waste water levels on the rise since June 21 in all regions.

View attachment 957019
Yeah, as usual this guy is doing his best to track. No real predictions at the moment. Hopefully just a small “hot vaxxed summer” bump.

I have some unavoidable exposures with people who are traveling on planes visiting in August. Won’t be able to get them all to wear N95s. Most have had COVID but not all, so we’ll see.

Still wearing a mask inside, living relaxed and free, enjoying crowds, etc. Also free of COVID. For now.

I’m confident now that by far the most likely means of getting it will be someone who comes into the house with it. Not likely going to get it out and about with incredibly effective masking (seems to be nearly 100%?) in place.

And they said you had to have your mask professionally fitted and “take a course.” 😂

Reactions: DrGriz
And they said you had to have your mask professionally fitted and “take a course.” 😂
This NY Times editorial was published on March 17, 2020. Early on, and pretty much nailed it.

First, many health experts, including the surgeon general of the United States, told the public simultaneously that masks weren’t necessary for protecting the general public and that health care workers needed the dwindling supply. This contradiction confuses an ordinary listener. How do these masks magically protect the wearers only and only if they work in a particular field?

This NY Times editorial was published on March 17, 2020. Early on, and pretty much nailed it.

First, many health experts, including the surgeon general of the United States, told the public simultaneously that masks weren’t necessary for protecting the general public and that health care workers needed the dwindling supply. This contradiction confuses an ordinary listener. How do these masks magically protect the wearers only and only if they work in a particular field?
Masks were in short supply. The number of people in the general public at that time who had COVID were few at first. Health care workers were more likely to be exposed than the guy at the gas station. Plus, the HCW was needed to take care of the sick people.

Yes, in the medical setting we fit test and it's better than not.

It's really simple and straightforward and I don't get why it's so hard for some people to understand the situation at the time. That article was written in March 2020. There was no deep state plan to make everyone sick.

There was no deep state plan to make everyone sick.
No, there wasn't, but lying about the efficacy of masks destroyed the credibility of officials that was sorely needed later. Mistrust of public health played a leading role in many unnecessary deaths later in the pandemic. The Deep State (if it existed) could not have better executed a plan to make everyone sick.

In March of 2020 my daughter was beginning a 1 month required nursing internship at a hospital in Cologne Germany, required for her first year of medical school in Germany. While COVID was just becoming a thing here it was already pretty well on its way to being epidemic in Europe though still not much was known about it. In the German hospital she was at the masks (and gowns and gloves, commonly called PPE) which were normally left outside of infectious patient rooms were all being stolen so they had to put them behind the nursing station desk.

I had a feint idea of what might be coming (My wife and I had been RNs during AIDS in the very early 80's before anyone knew what AIDS/HIV actually was (and before there were general precaution standards in hospitals) and I had a few N95 masks in my garage. By later that month there were no N95 masks to be found around here. I had mailed the few i had to my daughter as soon as I could and told her to wear the masks. But that was pointless as the hospital (again this was in Germany) told all staff that no one was allowed to wear a mask unless they were going into an isolation room because they didn't want to frighten the patients so she wasn't allowed to wear her own mask in the hospital. So the stupidity was not just in the US. Here in the US within a few months, in NYC nursing staff were being given a mask to wear for a week and told to put it in a paper bag every night to magically become uninfected. Staff in some hospitals were wearing trash bags because all the gowns were gone. Does no one remember this?

The PPE in the US Federal Emergency Supply were ancient and falling apart so much of it was useless. It was a perfect storm of stupidity and incompetence. Germany had much of the same problems but they quickly contracted to manufacture new supply of PPE. They didn't screw around with cloth masks and bandannas. The US did pretty much nothing. Germany required everyone to wear highly protective blown fiber masks. And required them to get into all buildings. And they follow rules. They have their share of idiots but even they followed rules while they complained about it. There was a story on 60 Minutes on CBS about a company that made the blown material for N95 masks that tried to contact FEMA to get a contract to produce masks. They had machinery sitting idle. But no one got back to them and the company wouldn't hire new employees to produce a product they didn't have a guaranteed longterm contract for. So instead hospitals ended up bididng against one another to get supplies from China. And some if not a lot of that stuff was fake, but it was all that could be purchased back then.

Turned out having people that weren't prepared and were incompetent to deal with a respiratory pandemic, running the government was a bad idea. Germany was unprepared as well but quickly corrected and found ways to produce what was needed. In the US they just decided to pretend nothing was happening and luckily there were lots of refrigerated trucks to hold all the excess bodies. Anyway eventually the market caught up with demand and you can go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy N95 masks again. But most people are still too uninformed to know that what they used then because there wasn't any good option available, were pretty worthless.

I'm pretty sure the current administration is now maintaining the FEMA emergency supplies, replacing old stock and performing maintenance on things like ventilators so that when this happens again it won't be the complete S**t show it was 3 years ago. Sad that over a million people had to die in this country to show that being completely incompetent is not a good plan for an emergency.

No, there wasn't, but lying about the efficacy of masks destroyed the credibility of officials that was sorely needed later. Mistrust of public health played a leading role in many unnecessary deaths later in the pandemic. The Deep State (if it existed) could not have better executed a plan to make everyone sick.
I don't recall any lying about the efficacy of masks. Perhaps you can help me recollect. We did save them and recycle them while they were in terribly short supply. Nobody in health care was confused about that at the time. Don't know where you got your information.

"Distrust" was mostly along political lines, as was subsequent behavior. Nothing the health officials could have said would have changed that. Early on the thought was that covid would not be easily distributed by air so only people in close proximity to sick individuals needed to mask up, i.e. health care providers. This was unfortunately based on outdated particle research that hadn't been questioned in almost a hundred years.

I don't recall any lying about the efficacy of masks. Perhaps you can help me recollect. We did save them and recycle them while they were in terribly short supply. Nobody in health care was confused about that at the time. Don't know where you got your information.
Try this:

• Funny
Reactions: madodel
Try this:
And then this:

The Instagram user ragingpatrioticbabe, whose content ranges from COVID-19 skepticism to pro-Trump memes, positions Adams' tweet as compelling evidence against mask-wearing, urging its audience to "NEVER FORGET this tweet from the US Surgeon General, which was deleted."

The post has received over 1,200 likes since it was posted on Feb. 15, and many comments agreeing with ragingpatrioticbabe's anti-mask sentiment.

Surgeon general reversed initial stance on masks​

Adams did indeed discourage mask-wearing in a now-deleted tweet. Offline, the now-former surgeon general, who resigned at the request of President Joe Biden, repeated this message while on national television last March.

"And stay safe by washing your hands, by covering your cough, by staying home if you're sick. Masks do not work for the general public and preventing them from getting coronavirus," he told Margaret Brennan on CBS News' "Face the Nation."

Adams later revised his stance but defended his reasoning behind the February 2020 tweet, again to Brennan in July.

"I was saying that then because of everything we knew about coronaviruses before that point told us that people were not likely to spread when they were asymptomatic. So the science at the time suggested that there was not a high degree of asymptomatic spread. We learned more," he said.

The Surgeon General was presumably "in health care at the time." I got my information from reputable journalistic sources like NY Times, WSJ, USA Today, etc.

Try this:
Yes, as I said, in March 2020 the epidemic was such that the general public had little benefit from masks. The article says that they were important for HCWs. Did you think he meant that viruses checked your professional credentials and chose to avoid you if you were a HCW wearing a mask but masks didn't work for Joe Blow?

And yes, the virus wasn't well understood.

Nothing you have there convinced me that he was lying.

Last edited:
Reactions: madodel and jerry33
The problem was this matrix:

Early Covid Statement 1: Everyone should wear a mask. Effect: People hoard masks like toilet paper and some at risk don't have masks when they need them, but long term people trust the consistent easy to understand message. You can spin this with follow up statements about supply and risk, but this scenario is about having a strong masks are needed by all education (clear messaging) before dealing with the supply issue.

Early Covid Statement 2: The public shouldn't wear a mask, leave them for the professionals. Effect: People hyper focus on the change of message when it comes. If they think masks work; they think you threw them under the bus early on, if they think masks don't work; they think you are throwing them under the bus (financially) later on. Either way they don't like the change in guidance.

Which method would have saved more lives. We can guess, but we can't prove.

I would have liked the messaging to be more like statement 1 even if the supply of masks was limited and they suggested we shelter in place if masks weren't available for mixing in public.

Maybe we would have seen different spin by the side that went anti mask, maybe it would have been less effective, maybe just as effective for another reason. But as someone who is pro mask I found the early statements poorly framed. They set themselves up for failure by not suggesting "everyone mask" soon enough.