Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost-effective solutions for new car: Paint Coating? Tint? DIY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my S60 today. Absolutely adore the car, and now I'm thinking about how to beautify and protect it, and I'd love to get your thoughts. My car is on a two year lease, so I don't want go too crazy (saving the splurge for my Model 3 P100L coming in 2018!). So cost-effective solutions are really what I'm after. Some ideas:
  • Paint Coating: maybe Cquartz Finest? Can anyone in SoCal give me some ballpark numbers for how much they paid for their Model S? Has anyone tried DIY version of Cquartz or Cquartz UK? If so, how hard is it to do on a brand new car (no need for a lot of correction)? How does DYI compare to a professionally applied Finest? Is it 80% effective at a tiny fraction of the cost?
  • Tinting: maybe Photosync or Crystalline. Anyone in SoCal able to get their windshield tinted given the laws? If so, which film did you choose and how much did you pay for front, sides, and rear? Any recommendations for installers in the SF Valley or Irvine area?
  • Leather: I'm nervous about dye transfers from denim to tan seats. Has anyone tried Cquartz Leather on their light color seats? Does it change/darken the color? How about effectiveness and durability? Anything else that may work better?
  • Wheels: I've got the stock silver slipstreams, and I'm thinking about powder coating them to a satin black or gray. How much does that cost, including removing/mounting/balancing? Any recommended shops? Has anyone tried dipping? The appeal is that when it's time to return the leased car, I'll be able to just peel the coating off. If you've tried it, how did it work out for you? Cost? Recommended installers?
Sorry for so many questions, but I'm hoping this will be a useful thread for lots of new owners.

If you think about it, hard to get 100 sized battery in a M3, because of the car's size.

I'm doing Xpel, hard to imagine paying for that on a lease. Lots of tinting on the boards, maybe a search? You would pay to change the rims on a lease? Wow, I'm not in LA, things are different there. Where I live, a Model S would be the first in town.

All of this has been discussed here recently, you should search it up.

I did 3m clear coat on my hood and front bumper. It was about 400$ for the kit. It took me half a day. It was enjoyable and I'm glad I did it myself. The result was not perfect though. I was quoted 2000$ for the same job done professionally. So diy was very cost effective.

I think with leasing you might just consider not doing it though. I think one of the main advantages to leasing is you don't need to worry about minor blemishes. Just get a new car in two years. I'm kinda jealous actually.

• Informative
Reactions: fallen888
I'm also leasing, and have been thinking about paint protection. I don't think a full wrap is needed for a lease, and I'm not sure I'd do decent job of applying something myself.

So, for me, it's probably a ceramic coating (my local detailer uses Gtechniq).

I'm considering AutoFlex Spray Shield (a clear dip) as an alternative. Cost in the UK is about £2,000. I haven't been able to find any reviews, though.

thanks @HankLloydRight!

Is their spray shield product essentially the same and their dips, do you think?
I've seen quite a few reviews of the autoflex dip (all saying it's much better than plasti-dip). But sometimes it's difficult to tell whether a product is genuinely different from the rest of a company's line-up, or if it's just marketing.

I don't know anything really about the clear product, except that it came first, before they started mixing in colors and pearls into it.

But yes, Autoflex is far superior to Plastidip. But at the same time, Plastidip is pretty good itself. You can dp PD yourself, if you want, but Autoflex needs to be done with professional equipment in a real paint booth, and requires much more detailed masking and sealing off of the interior, which PD doesn't require.

• Informative
Reactions: NullException
OptiCoat Pro has held up well. 5-year warranty versus Cquartz 3-year at the time mine was done.

Next car will get either OptiCoat or Permanon (search forum for recent threads), as well as the frunk, fenders and front clip wrapped.

Call Derek or Bing at Extreme Autowerks in Cerritos for tint. The majority of the Teslas that have gotten Photosync got the 35 all around. A subset got 75 on the windshield. I recommend both highly, as long as you take responsibility for removing it if ever you get a ticket therefor. I know of nobody in 30 years who has gotten a window tint ticket as a primary infraction. That said, Photosync is not cheap so you take a risk. Frankly, your risk of windshield rocks/damage is higher so consider an external protectant of some kind since getting Photosync on your windshield will set you back $400 or so.

If you powdercoat your wheels, ensure that none gets on the backs of the wheels - that said, it's a great look. Consider Vern's Chrome Plating in Gardena and ask for Bob.

Don't forget the dashcams and to upgrade your audio. For the latter, talk to Cliff at Reus Audio in Orange. Accept no substitutes.

Well, that's pretty much everything but the espresso machine. Good luck.

Edit: reading comprehension is an art. Leasing? Meh. If leasing I'd just get tint, dashcams and Reus audio since they'll transfer the Reus gear from car to car for just labor - whether owned or leased, it'll be the last audio upgrade you'll buy.

I'd love to hear some feedback on the powder coating idea as well. Doing it to my S60's 19" slipstreams has crossed my mind too. Not leasing though.
Had my 19 inch slipstreams removed after driving 5 miles. Shop put loaner wheels/tires on. Less than 48 hours later, got wheels back. $1000 including road force balancing. Very happy I did this.
2016-08-25 08.32.27.jpg
2016-08-25 12.13.04.jpg