Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of Model 3 roof glass replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put PPF on my bumper, mirrors, and A-pillar, the rock I took missed the windshield and hit on the tiny 2mm of leading edge of the roof, but it took the roof OUT. Fortunately my insurance covered it under glass damage which has no impact on my rates.

I put PPF on my bumper, mirrors, and A-pillar, the rock I took missed the windshield and hit on the tiny 2mm of leading edge of the roof, but it took the roof OUT. Fortunately my insurance covered it under glass damage which has no impact on my rates.
Did the roof shatter all over while you were driving, or did it just crack?

I assume the roof is tempered glass, and laminated for safety

Teslas are domestic vehicles...shouldn't be more than a bmw, Volvo etc..
Last window I replaced on wife’s bmw m3 cost $1000, so the tesla price doesn’t seem so bad. Also, the top glass on a Tesla is stronger than any steel roof you find on cars from a compression loading point of view but will fracture on localized impact (ie while it is probably true that an elephant could stand on one foot on the roof with another elephant on its back, and elephant stomping down on a small pebble on the roof will demolish the roof :))...but that fracturing is also a good thing...fracturing has the added benefit of distributing the energy of a side impact faster across the car body than a steel roof would.

• Informative
Reactions: thinktwice
I put PPF on just my front headlights and the parking lights below. 3M vvivid. Last month coming back from MN I was driving through the perpetual construction on i75 near Tampa and saw a perfectly cube of stone spinning through the air towards the car...bounced twice on the freeway and thought I was going to luck out having it bounce under the car, but right after it disappeared from view I saw it shoot straight up and over the car. When I got home all I could find was a 1” tear in the film and just a slight scrape on the headlight that looks trivial to buff out. impressed as that stuff is really hard to cut with an exacto knife...needs to be sheared. I don’t worry about paint...don’t like dealing with broken Headlights though.

This is a contributing reason why I ruled out buying a Model 3.

In Jan 2019, before the SR and SR+ existed, the glass roof was part of the $5K premium package. I wasn't too keen on paying $5K for stuff I didn't want to pay for such as the glass roof as I was concerned about the reports of cracks (there have been numerous reports here on new 3's and some reports of it at work, as well) and leather/fake leather. Sure, Tesla is covering them under warranty but what happens after warranty?

And yes, this is another large piece of glass vulnerable to cracking/chips/breakage from rocks and other debris (e.g. from trees).

Now, unfortunately, all 3's ship with this and there's no metal roof version (yet).

I ended up buying a heavily discounted '19 Bolt (over $6K off MSRP) at end of Jan 2019. Was way cheaper with the $7500 Federal tax credit than a MR 3 ($44K back then, IIRC) + $2K for a color I found acceptable minus $3750 Federal tax credit. (Yes, I'm well aware of 3 vs. Bolt advantages and disadvantages. There were other numerous shortcomings/features I wanted/design decisions I don't like on the 3 that haven't been addressed.)
Honestly, the glass roof is worth it.

Any thinking behind that, that you could share? Don't want people looking in?

Just a crack that slowly extended across the entire roof as I drove home across the country.
I don’t know how well they work, but I bought one of those auto glass repair kits that is down in the sub trunk with all the other items I’ll probably never use on the car. Figured it wouldn’t hurt to do a quick repair if something happened 1,000 miles or so from home.

Is the rear glass laminated also?
My glass repair shop said they wouldn't repair the rear glass claiming "it's tempered glass, not laminated glass":(

Yap apart from the side windows all of them are laminated. Your glass repair shop is full of idiots. Imagine if you get a rockchip in the top glass and it comes down and slices open all the passengers and you now drive a convertible lool.

Although, with insurance, it only cost me $100 to have the glass replaced, I'm thinking that next time I might have a glass repair guy just fix the crack rather than drive to the service center(300 miles) and spend a day. Do you think that a crack repair would keep it from spreading?

Although, with insurance, it only cost me $100 to have the glass replaced, I'm thinking that next time I might have a glass repair guy just fix the crack rather than drive to the service center(300 miles) and spend a day. Do you think that a crack repair would keep it from spreading?
Yes. I had a rock chip on my roof glass. Took it to safelite as soon as I noticed it. They filled it with their resin and I’ve had no issues since. Like others have said, it depends on the size of the crack. Mine was a little bigger than a nickel but smaller than a quarter.

This is a contributing reason why I ruled out buying a Model 3.

In Jan 2019, before the SR and SR+ existed, the glass roof was part of the $5K premium package. I wasn't too keen on paying $5K for stuff I didn't want to pay for such as the glass roof as I was concerned about the reports of cracks (there have been numerous reports here on new 3's and some reports of it at work, as well) and leather/fake leather. Sure, Tesla is covering them under warranty but what happens after warranty?

And yes, this is another large piece of glass vulnerable to cracking/chips/breakage from rocks and other debris (e.g. from trees).

Now, unfortunately, all 3's ship with this and there's no metal roof version (yet).

I ended up buying a heavily discounted '19 Bolt (over $6K off MSRP) at end of Jan 2019. Was way cheaper with the $7500 Federal tax credit than a MR 3 ($44K back then, IIRC) + $2K for a color I found acceptable minus $3750 Federal tax credit. (Yes, I'm well aware of 3 vs. Bolt advantages and disadvantages. There were other numerous shortcomings/features I wanted/design decisions I don't like on the 3 that haven't been addressed.)
Having owned a bolt myself right before the three and currently being a Tesla complainer, I think you were throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The bolt is not a great driving car when it comes to handling. The seats are horrible. The only part of the Bolt I prefer is CarPlay.