Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of new rear/top glass replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had mine replaced as it developed a crack of it's own, there was a fault with an early batch of UK Model 3s. At one point they tried to invoice me £290 to remove and replace, but it's not very clear if that was just labour or also parts. Needless I didn't pay, it was a warrenty fault.
Now, when you say 'my fault', go on, tell us :)

I had mine replaced as it developed a crack of it's own, there was a fault with an early batch of UK Model 3s. At one point they tried to invoice me £290 to remove and replace, but it's not very clear if that was just labour or also parts. Needless I didn't pay, it was a warrenty fault.

Just muppetry in my part.
I dropped the end of the charging cable on the edge of the rear glass as I was putting it in the boot.

Will go through my insurance. But not likely that the windscreen excess will apply surely?

Good to know I've just seen a crack on mine at the base that seems to have come from nowhere. I'll try the warrant route. I assume you just raised a service request and went from there.

Just muppetry in my part.
I dropped the end of the charging cable on the edge of the rear glass as I was putting it in the boot.

Will go through my insurance. But not likely that the windscreen excess will apply surely?

A charging cable. So much for the glass roof resisting the weight of two elephants :rolleyes:

On insurance, it’s not a windscreen so more likely that your usual excess will apply I’d have though.

Good to know I've just seen a crack on mine at the base that seems to have come from nowhere. I'll try the warrant route. I assume you just raised a service request and went from there.

Yes a service request. The fault my car had seemed to be on pretty much all the cars in our batch in early August, something was wrong in the rear window heater that caused a small crack at one specific point in the grid in an internal layer of glass, nothing on the outside. It then grew into a huge smile from side to side across the full width. I believe Tesla will look very carefully at damage, if it was generated from the outside they will be suggesting it's your responsibility.

I've just had the centre glass panel replaced on my M3P and Tesla quoted me just over £1,000 for it. The glass panel alone was £766.67 + VAT so you could probably double that (at least) for the rear. It was however covered by my insurance (LV) with the standard glass excess so worth checking with your own insurance.

Reactions: Jamin
I've got a crack in the glass roof too from a stone chip thrown up from a lorry, BushtrimmerJ did you have yours replaced at Tesla service centre or was it a mobile fitter from insurance company?

I've got a crack in the glass roof too from a stone chip thrown up from a lorry, BushtrimmerJ did you have yours replaced at Tesla service centre or was it a mobile fitter from insurance company?
Didn’t actually need replacing, it turned out to be some very stubborn and deceiving sealant that the SC managed to get off. I’m glad it was as I didn’t want to fork out a grand after 2 months and less than a thousand miles.

That's good to know that 3rd parties are now stocking the glass!
My brother had the rear glass replaced under warranty last month (stress crack) and the price quoted on the service sheet, including labour, was around £750, although judging from the comment above that could have been the ex vat price. Which isn't quite as horrific as I was expecting.