Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of ownership of buying Model 3 vs keeping my M235i.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody know where I can find the average price of premium gasoline in my area over the last few years? I could always just use the current price (as it probably hasn’t fluctuated too much) to get a rough estimate on the amount of money I’ve spent on gasoline, but I’d prefer for that number to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Try gasbuddy.com. They may be able to give you those numbers

There is still a lot to enjoy is gas cars IMO. M and AMGs etc. I miss my Merc sometimes. It was just a different feeling.
I say keep the M2 for now. And when it’s time to upgrade. The Tesla’s are just going to get better and maybe cheaper. Until then. Enjoy the M2.

Get the performance model 3. Trust me. Way worth it for everything you get. I regret getting my SR+ but it fits my needs well so

Reactions: afadeev
Just wondering, do you regret the SR instead of the P purely for Range, or performance, or appearance, or? I just switched my order from a P to an SR+, trying to be pragmatic. . .

Both. You get range. You get performance. Upgraded suspension and all the options. Worth it. Plus, these cars are very boring. You can tell if it's a Performance version, which sets it apart. A P from a SR+ is a big jump. Even the dual motors are really nice.

I don't drive a lot, so don't need extra range nor "performance". But, coming from performance cars to going SR...yes, big regret. I wanted the FSD so I compromised with a SR+ and added FSD after. But if I had to take it back, P all the way (actually been thinking about selling my SR+ and going P).

Both. You get range. You get performance. Upgraded suspension and all the options. Worth it. Plus, these cars are very boring. You can tell if it's a Performance version, which sets it apart. A P from a SR+ is a big jump. Even the dual motors are really nice.

I don't drive a lot, so don't need extra range nor "performance". But, coming from performance cars to going SR...yes, big regret. I wanted the FSD so I compromised with a SR+ and added FSD after. But if I had to take it back, P all the way (actually been thinking about selling my SR+ and going P).
This. If you want to drive like an old lady, it'll shuffle you around you like an old lady. But when you stomp on it, it's absolutely ridiculous. That's when it gets thrilling - otherwise he is right, the Model 3 is *so* good day-to-day that it can get a little boring.

I got the Performance and absolutely no regrets. The power is amazing. It's a ~3.1 sec car, versus ~4.4 sec for the AWD and even slower for the SR+. Money-wise, the Performance Model 3 is about the same as a BMW M340i. But you get M3 level acceleration. Go for the Performance Model 3.

BMW is fast depreciating due to Tesla switch. California gas prices are outrageous. You’ve already absorbed most of the depreciation so you’d be absorbing again most of the deprecation. more likely than not you’re losing SOME money, no doubt. However, you’ll love the model 3. It’s so damn smooth driving, no engine vibration, noise, or fumes.

Autopilot is a dream on road trips. I’ve done drives from San Diego to Big Sur, San Diego to Zions, San Diego to Yosemite, and so on. I’ve never road tripped in another car where I felt fine after a 10hr drive like my Tesla.

The BMW N55/B58 is one of the last great i6s, and it wont last forever as companies downsize to 4 cylinders.

Sounds great. Smooth as hell. Pulls to redline. Happy at low revs. More performance than most people need.

I'd keep it unless you need more seating

Quick update about this! In October of last year, I ended up buying a Performance Model 3 and sold my M235i for 25k. Looking at resale value today, the car would be worth about 18K so definitely a lot less than what I anticipated.

With the 5K refund from Tesla and my new commute of 100 miles per day, I believe the purchase was a no brainer :)

Reactions: TJ73
My stealth P3 replaced a M235 as well. My family hated that car and 30k miles in, I was starting to hate on it too. That tiny worthless gas tank was the worst!

I'm never going back to an ICE. I just drove my wife's MDX for the first time in months. What a POS!!
IMG_7248 (2).jpg

• Disagree