Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costa Mesa Delivery Experience P3D Aug 5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my solid black P3D without performance upgrade today. It is a July 2018 build VIN 71xxx. Wait wasn't too bad. Car pulled up only 20 minutes after my scheduled time.
Delivery advisor tried getting me to sign within the first minute, but I took the pen and then went to take a look at the car.

Minor issues: Car was filthy. Dust, dead bugs, residue on the paint and on the glass, smudges on the headliner. No big deal, but they didn't have capacity to detail it. Bringing it back for a service appointment to clean up.

Major issues: paint job was messed up on an edge of the front panel; rear right taillight panel was totally not flush... by like a long way... weather sealing along the glass of the sunroof had 4 major areas were the seal was damaged.

Delivery advisor called over someone called Michelle to take a look at the major issues. She was TERRIBLE.
- First of all, she acted pissed off that I was bringing up these issues. She told me the weather sealing was not a big deal because there is another seal underneath it... So I want water trapped between the two seals??
- She was trying to get me to accept the poor panel alignment by saying they would have to take off the panel and that it would be very "invasive". She should couldn't guarantee what would be done to fix it. I'm not sure what she was trying to achieve, but she kept beating around the bush for a few minutes until I came out and said that I would not accept delivery unless she could guarantee that it would be fixed. I mean the car in the next stall over had perfect alignment for the same part. Only then did she say that they could fix it.
-Finally she walks away without saying a word.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Tesla Service! Enjoy your 70k car. FWIW, my experience with my X100D was much better.

I had almost the exact same experience when i picked up my M3 in April at Costa Mesa, car was filthy, Michelle was involved she had MAJOR attitude, not what I expected for a $60K sale. I will NEVER go back to that center. I have all my work done in Cathedral City now.

I had almost the exact same experience when i picked up my M3 in April at Costa Mesa, car was filthy, Michelle was involved she had MAJOR attitude, not what I expected for a $60K sale. I will NEVER go back to that center. I have all my work done in Cathedral City now.

Someone needs to Tweet Elon about super B Michelle at the Costa Mesa store. Sounds like she isn't living up to the Tesla standard. ;)

Reactions: moonfresh
I’m sorry but the badge is the least of everyone’s concerns. It’s a sticker that slaps on the back. I’d be more concerned about the spoiler?

I have a hardware charging issue and I’m not even sweating it knowing Tesla will make all things right in the end.

I'm not overly worried about the badge, but it was the whole way it was handled flippantly along with the hour I wasted trying to get a simple contract in order to fund my loan.

Also when I went back the following week to try and sort out the missing cables, I can't be certain, but its almost like they thought I was lying and trying to get extra cables from them.

You guys got me concerned. I took delivery of my first X in 2016 here. Wasn't rushed. Gentleman offered to take picture of us since I brought out my camera. Told us how he works in the design studio in Hawthorne on the seats.

Took my 2nd X in March 2018 here as well on Friday. The showroom was pretty empty. Felt a little rushed but not much. Car was cleaned properly.

I was only given 2 choices, MDR or CM. Would MDR be any better?

You guys got me concerned. I took delivery of my first X in 2016 here. Wasn't rushed. Gentleman offered to take picture of us since I brought out my camera. Told us how he works in the design studio in Hawthorne on the seats.

Took my 2nd X in March 2018 here as well on Friday. The showroom was pretty empty. Felt a little rushed but not much. Car was cleaned properly.

I was only given 2 choices, MDR or CM. Would MDR be any better?

Considering people complain about both centers, your best treatment is going to schedule as offpeak as possible. On a day like Thursday like when I took delivery - they did like 50 cars instead of over 100 on a Sat or Sun.

I was satisfied with the attention relative with how bonkers it is in Tesla land.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
Considering people complain about both centers, your best treatment is going to schedule as offpeak as possible. On a day like Thursday like when I took delivery - they did like 50 cars instead of over 100 on a Sat or Sun.

I was satisfied with the attention relatively to how crazy it is overall at Tesla.
Yea I also read horrible stories with MDR, with everyone claiming all their delivery issues occurring at MDR.

I'd prefer going down south on 405 than going north on 405 since I am in south bay. Going back up north would be an issue though with weekday traffic. I just don't understand why they can't let me take delivery at Torrance SC. I know they are a SC only but why does it matter. They aren't doing any prep and rush you out in 5 min anyways.

Reactions: MXWing
Yea I also read horrible stories with MDR, with everyone claiming all their delivery issues occurring at MDR.

I'd prefer going down south on 405 than going north on 405 since I am in south bay. Going back up north would be an issue though with weekday traffic. I just don't understand why they can't let me take delivery at Torrance SC. I know they are a SC only but why does it matter. They aren't doing any prep and rush you out in 5 min anyways.

I thought that exactly just the other day. All the Costa Mesa cars are stored offsite in Irvine anyway.

They could have thrown up some tents and make that another center to relieve pressure. Unless there’s some special parcel designation to “sell” a car.

Seems obvious to have more delivery centers but there could be considerations we are not privy too.

Mannnnn...and Tesla has a 97 percent customer satisfaction? Cars are being delivered filthy. WTF? This sounds like an epidemic now. I just ordered a few days ago. Vin is in the 50k, which I think is low at this point. I hope it was not a rejected M3. Unacceptable Tesla. Please be honest about your evaluation people. It will only make Tesla better and help the next person.

Mannnnn...and Tesla has a 97 percent customer satisfaction? Cars are being delivered filthy. WTF? This sounds like an epidemic now. I just ordered a few days ago. Vin is in the 50k, which I think is low at this point. I hope it was not a rejected M3. Unacceptable Tesla. Please be honest about your evaluation people. It will only make Tesla better and help the next person.

We found one of the 3 percenters. ;)

It’s easy to look at a Tesla and see it is dirty. Wondering why it is dirty takes a lot more effort.

When a building holds 12 cars, it’s not easy to turn over 100 in that same building - especially when you have people bring multi page checklists, getting on their hands and knees looking for every thing thinking Tesla won’t fix it later.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA

hmm.. Cathederal City you say...going to have to take more vacations out to PS.

I can't wait for the customer satisfaction survey to vent my feelings about Michelle....

Why are there so many defects now? My May 2018 build LR didn’t have paint blister defects. I admit I did find two spots where they definitely buffered hard to get some scratches out. But nothing major. Alignment seems very acceptable. Not laser alignment for sure but nothing different than what Toyota spits out.

I hope it’s not just me not being picky enough.

Last edited:
@corduroy,

Agreed. These stories are upsetting. What’s worse is those of us who are STILL awaiting VINs now have in the back of our minds the ‘battle’ between rejecting a delivery and possibly going to “who knows WHERE” in the Que for a new VIN (and the resultant delay) and bumping up against the ‘Runout’ of the Dec 31st YE full tax incentive.

What a quandry.

Ski
Or the possibility of getting a rejected car as your VIN and it be one of the paint defect ones that has been repainted.

Surprisingly my delivery experience at Costa Mesa was very smooth beside the contract system being down that cause a 1-2 hour delay wait. My scheduled delivery was at 9am on Sunday, July 22nd. The staff was very understanding and apologetic for the delay and wait.

They were even able to provide me a Model S 75D loaner for 2 hours to grab lunch in which I visited South Coast Plaza. I drove off around 12pm with all paperwork signed.

My car was in almost perfect condition. Paint was nearly perfect and little/minor panel gaps that were hardly noticeable (as someone who is OCD about almost everything). My config was Pearl White LR, RWD, Sports Wheels, EAP. VIN: 39XXX

I'm sure with more deliveries the location doesn't have the capacity to ensure a smooth delivery and to have the vehicle clean to perfect for delivery. Many workers at the delivery location praised me for having an early morning delivery so they had time to prep the vehicle and paperwork before the rush came in.

Just wanted to share my experience. Hope everyone else who takes delivery at Costa Mesa can have a similar and enjoyable delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: Brian N
Here is an update to the original post.

This morning I came in Buena Park for a service appointment. The following issues were listed on the original post and also updates as of this morning:
1. Cracked screen upon delivery - Tesla will replace the entire touch screen. I was told it takes a few days for the parts to arrive. The fix is less than hour once they have the screen.
2. Roof seals not flush entirely at the top - Tesla will have to replace the ENTIRE glass and seal at the top as the parts do come together. I was really surprised that the roof glass will be replaced as well.
3. The imperfection in the paint - Tesla will send my vehicle to a body shop to get this taken care of. I was informed this is the longest part of the process. Expected return of the vehicle within 7-10 days.

They gave me a S85 as a loaner. Thank you Tesla for making things right!

Hi everybody. The Model 3 Order Tracker has stats about panel gaps and other issues. Check out the Survey tab. For example, panel gaps were 4.5 stars on 13 June, 13 July and 13 August. It stayed the same. Feel free to add your data. See the 'How to use' tab if you are not sure. Cheers

BZURK9I.gif

• Disagree
Reactions: Phoenix1