Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costco Tire Replacement Policy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Costco tire center just told me they only replace all 4 tires on Teslas. I only wanted one tire replaced. Are they trying to rip me off or is there a genuine reason for Costco not replacing less than 4 tires?

The only places I know that does alignment and tires are les schwab and firestone... However, I've gotten lifetime alignment at Firestone, and they can't seem to align the two cars I took there correctly, so ended up having the dealer correct their botched alignment attempt... Firestone even tried telling me it was impossible to align the rear wheels on my car, unless I paid them $500 to install an adapter. I went to the dealer and told them that, and they had no idea what they were talking about, and aligned the car, and showed me the before and after numbers.

I'd rather not go to Les Schwab, because of all the places I've been to for tires, they've been the worst... I've watched them gouge my wheels, and then they refused to do anything about it... They always seem to try to use one hand to throw the wheels on the machine, and often times they miss, and the spindle hits the wheel. They told me they gouged the "back" of the wheel, so it was no big deal. I told them it was an open wheel design, and the barrel is high polished, so it is easily noticeable from the front. I've also watched them toss the sockets over the tops of the cars, when they were sharing sockets between different stalls... One time I saw one guy miss, and the socket tagged the front fender of the car.

Upvote 0
lol
A lot of people don't know almost 80% of air is Nitrogen and there is no way you can fill up 100% nitrogen in tires since you cannot purge remaining air in the tires when putting Nitrogen.
Most of the benefit from nitrogen, is that the membrane they use to separate the nitrogen from regular air, also removes water vapor... Water Vapor causes a much wider pressure variance with temperature when cross a state change between condensed water and water vapor. I installed an in-line line dryer on my air compressor at home... When I did that, and exclusively used that instead of refilling at gas stations, (which I found almost never perform maintenance on their air tanks, resulting in the air hose spraying a liquid water mist with the air when it's cold out), I stopped having issues with the TPMS showing low pressure when it gets really cold.

Upvote 0
Most of the benefit from nitrogen, is that the membrane they use to separate the nitrogen from regular air, also removes water vapor... Water Vapor causes a much wider pressure variance with temperature when cross a state change between condensed water and water vapor. I installed an in-line line dryer on my air compressor at home... When I did that, and exclusively used that instead of refilling at gas stations, (which I found almost never perform maintenance on their air tanks, resulting in the air hose spraying a liquid water mist with the air when it's cold out), I stopped having issues with the TPMS showing low pressure when it gets really cold.
most free air stations have no water separators, so the tank gets condensations, which shoots out the water into the tires. It is not benefit of having Nitrogen.
Benefit of the Nitrogen filled tires is that the loss of air pressure is slower than regular air, but not much since regular air has 80% nitrogen already.

Upvote 0
most free air stations have no water separators, so the tank gets condensations, which shoots out the water into the tires. It is not benefit of having Nitrogen.
Benefit of the Nitrogen filled tires is that the loss of air pressure is slower than regular air, but not much since regular air has 80% nitrogen already.
What I was saying was that using "dry air", gained me most of the "noticeable" benefit of using Nitrogen, because Nitrogen at nitro stations are also dry. I wasn't saying that dry air was the benefit, I was saying it was a side benefit of Nitrogen because of the process they use to separate it. However, you'll likely notice this benefit much more readily than the actual benefit of nitrogen which is derived from it being mostly inert, making it so it is harder to escape from tires.

Altho TireRack does state that one of the benefits of Nitro Fill, is that Nitrogen is dry and does not support moisture.

Upvote 0