Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costco Tires not working on Tesla Model 3's currently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchase new tires for the Model 3 and went in to have them installed. I was informed they are not properly equipped to work on the car yet, meaning jack pads and torq specs. They explained to me that this happened when the Model X first came out and that it took a couple of months before they started accepting work. They said the Model S comes with the pads on the cars now...

• Informative
Reactions: gambit48
I purchase new tires for the Model 3 and went in to have them installed. I was informed they are not properly equipped to work on the car yet, meaning jack pads and torq specs. They explained to me that this happened when the Model X first came out and that it took a couple of months before they started accepting work. They said the Model S comes with the pads on the cars now...
How many miles have you gotten out of the first set?! Seems quick to be replacing the OEMs.

Thats almost as bad as going to Walmart for ties. Call tire rack, get 4. Go to local shop.
I put on 4 Tuesday. Tire Rack overnight. Local guy charged $60 to install.
Saved 50% under his price. He's glad to do it. Great karma from me.

With Costco, the price includes the balancing, valve stems, and lifetime flat repair at any Costco. Oh, and you don't have to transport the tires yourself to the installer. Are you sure you got a good deal?

It's store by store. Locally we have one Costco that is accepting, some that aren't.

EDIT: The one Costco that is accepting the Model 3 is located in what's known to be the part of town with a much higher concentration of Model 3s (and BEVs in general). So they likely saw enough potential business, perhaps were getting requests already, to get themselves ready for it quickly.

The Model 3 does a have a very particular jackpoint and you definitely don't want to screw it up. That's why there's a few vendors on TMC advertising jack point accessories.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick
I would recommend checking out Discount Tire over Costco, if they're in your area. I've used Costco before, and they're okay. But it's tough to get in, and their tire selection can be pretty limited. For the most part my pricing at Discount has been competitive with Costco (and Tire Rack, for that matter).

As far as the issue with jack pads I am extremely concerned about that, so I bought these: Jack Pad Tools for Audi, BMW, Corvette, Mercedes, Nissan GT-R, Porsche, Tesla, VW

I bought 4 of them, which came in a nice little carry tube for $100. A small investment to protect my $65K car, in my mind. I dropped them in my below trunk storage area, and will be giving them to any tire shop or mechanic I allow to lift my car, with instructions that they must be used.

Quick question- did you drive much before the swap? I've seen some suggestion the sticker tires will have an appreciable impact on range but was hoping someone could quantify that.
I am at close to 11k miles now, about half of that was on the OE tires, rest on the 4S's, but I have not tried to quantify the efficiency or range on either. I did not like the traction (lack thereof) of the OE and that's why I replaced them.

I am at close to 11k miles now, about half of that was on the OE tires, rest on the 4S's, but I have not tried to quantify the efficiency or range on either. I did not like the traction (lack thereof) of the OE and that's why I replaced them.

Oh, I agree, having gotten similar all seasons on my previous sport sedan I know I will absolutely hate the stock tires and plan to replace em with a set of 4S's- just trying to get a ballpark on the range hit it'll come with since that wasn't a noticeable impact on the previous ICE car but is a lot bigger deal with an EV.

Oh, I agree, having gotten similar all seasons on my previous sport sedan I know I will absolutely hate the stock tires and plan to replace em with a set of 4S's- just trying to get a ballpark on the range hit it'll come with since that wasn't a noticeable impact on the previous ICE car but is a lot bigger deal with an EV.

Tell ya what… if you want to loan me a set of 4Ses, I'll mount 'em on my spare set of Aeros until I need to put snow tires on, and I'll tell ya what the impact is over however many miles that takes :p

I'm at around 240 Wh/mi over the last 10,000 miles on the factory tires, which is slowwwwwly dropping since I tend to average 210-230 on most days now.

I would recommend checking out Discount Tire over Costco, if they're in your area. I've used Costco before, and they're okay. But it's tough to get in, and their tire selection can be pretty limited. For the most part my pricing at Discount has been competitive with Costco (and Tire Rack, for that matter).

Definitely compare both. One item to note - Costco includes prorated road hazard. Discount charges more for road hazard (and they require it to be purchased on the replacement tire), but their road hazard is not prorated.