Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could the Model 3 be the last car you buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might have missed it, but my case is tempered by extended family. I have a 30-something eldest son married with twin daughters. They are eco-evangelists, but won't justify a new Tesla. I see my M3 AWD going to them sooner or later. I also have other family also eco-aligned, but have reasons (not all justified) why they haven't bought an electric car yet. In other words, I see lots of dribble-down opportunities for whatever Tesla I buy. Yup, even the Cybertruck!

Reactions: SageBrush
Lol no and no. I don’t plan to die in the next 8 years and I don’t believe the car will last that long. The battery and motor might. But everything else probably won’t.
I’m not that stupid not to go enjoy something new. I can afford a new card and it won’t affect my living or retirement situation. So I’m going to get something new to enjoy.

I did the calculation and if I charge it 25 times a year, keep it
in the garage and do not total it .... well maybe the last car.
In the next 10 years we may have flying cars that drive with
auto pilot so maybe a trade in is in the works. The Jetsons folks.
Until then I will just smoke every ICE on the road and give them
the happy hand wave with one finger.

"Provided it's as well built as we expect it to be (early fit and finish issues excepted), the electric drivetrain should outlast virtually any ICE-based drivetrains out there. Simplicity should = durability, but this will remain to be seen and perhaps the most important determining factor in this argument."

Even assuming the drivetrain and batteries last for 400k miles (well beyond what most drive in their cars)... does anyone *REALLY* think corrosion won't be an issue with a 10-20yr old car.... ???

"Provided it's as well built as we expect it to be (early fit and finish issues excepted), the electric drivetrain should outlast virtually any ICE-based drivetrains out there. Simplicity should = durability, but this will remain to be seen and perhaps the most important determining factor in this argument."

Even assuming the drivetrain and batteries last for 400k miles (well beyond what most drive in their cars)... does anyone *REALLY* think corrosion won't be an issue with a 10-20yr old car.... ???
My 20 year old Land Rover has only superficial rust in spite of salted roads in winter.
My Model S is all aluminum.

It very well may be the last car I ever buy. I'm 77 years old.

A year ago I promised myself (and anyone else who would listen) that I was going to get an EV for my 70th birthday; that it would likely be my last vehicle purchase. I was waiting for the VW (iCroz) to replace my Sportwagen. Started looking at Tesla in January when learning about the Model Y. Got myself an early birthday present in March (turned 70 a couple of weeks ago). With my car history and purchase track record, it might not be the last though. Any replacement WILL be a Tesla.

We were thinking our Model 3 would be our last car purchase, not because we expected it to last longer than the 10-15 years we typically hold onto a car, but because we expected car ownership to become obsolete with ridesharing and autonomous driving. I realize this was the OP 's 4th option, but it 's funny how things change with Uber/Lift almost pulling out of CA this month....