Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Courtesy Tesla Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
I've pretty much made up my mind to buy a Prius Prime plug-in early next year, either as my only *EV for a while or in addition to an M3 when my reservation comes up. So for now I'll need a J1772 charging solution.

I'd like to future-proof my charging needs, and if not too expensive, install a charging station for courtesy use for Tesla and other EVs in addition to my J1772 charging requirements.

Can a Tesla Wall charger fill these duties ?
I realize that an alternative is to install an L2 40A J1772 solution and let Tesla owners attach an adapter.

If you install the Tesla wall connector, you'll need an adaptor which isn't readily available yet.

Ev Charger Level 2 - Quick Charge Power
That is tempting, but according to them not for another 6 months ... and kickstarter stuff is at best a gamble.

I hope they have great success, but I'll have to go the opposite route (tesla adapter for a J1772 station) for now.

Thanks everybody for the help :)

As previously mentioned, the Tesla unit won't work, you'll need a J1772 system to charge the Prius Prime via 240V. You can charge at home via the 120V adapter that will come with the car. Most of the suggestions you'll receive on specific hardware are going to boil down to personal preferences.

I started out with a ClipperCreek LCS-25 for charging my LEAF and would suggest any of their products. They are one of the premier EVSE suppliers out there. One differentiating factor is that ClipperCreek really seems to take care of their customers. They have bullet-proof hardware, but when it goes bad, they stand behind their products and assist their customers. There are many stories here on the forum to that effect.

To satiate my geeky nature, after 2.5 years of daily charging, I sold the LCS-25 to a new Volt owner and replaced it with a 40-amp OpenEVSE unit. I had to upgrade the wire run back to the breaker panel from 10 awg to 6 awg for the added current. The kit was a very simple build, but they now sell a pre-built 40 amp model with a standard 14-50 plug on it for $479. You would have a relatively simple installation job with an electrician ("install a NEMA 14-50 right here"). As you alluded to, this system would plug directly into the Prius Prime (or a Leaf or Volt or Bolt or ...) and into a Tesla with the J1772 adapter that Tesla provides.

Model P50S- 40A Charging Station Powered by OpenEVSE

OpenEVSE also has a $37.50 wi-fi module that you can install in this unit to obtain real-time and historical data logging from your charging sessions. Get your geek on!

Reactions: SageBrush
Just get the Clipper Creek. I bought one for my Leaf I had years ago and it still work great even for my Model S.
if your onboard charger is 72 amp, you'd need one of these bad boys;
70/80A Level 2 EVSE CS-100 Hardwired | ClipperCreek
Most would then need a sub panel run, for the 100amp breaker.
That'd be mighty generous .... a prius, only capable of charging >3kW's offering up a nozzle that'd be capable of delivering what ... >17kW's ?

if your onboard charger is 72 amp, you'd need one of these bad boys;
70/80A Level 2 EVSE CS-100 Hardwired | ClipperCreek
Most would then need a sub panel run, for the 100amp breaker.
That'd be mighty generous .... a prius, only capable of charging >3kW's offering up a nozzle that'd be capable of delivering what ... >17kW's ?
Just because the car has a 72 amp on-board charger doesn't mean you have to install an EVSE with that capability. Home charging on a 40 amp or 50 amp circuit (like Clipper Creek HCS-40 or HCS-50) is fine for most people.