Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO - Higher miles 2014 vs. Lower Mileage 2013?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We plan on ordering next week rather make the right choice vs. unlimited charging. Color and options being the same as there are 599 CPOs as of now.

Why this makes it hard decision..................

2013 came with the full leather interior vs. 2014 only has it on part of the seats (not on the doors, dash, or steering wheel airbag)

2014 has more of the "electronic" fixes, fit and finish is better. is what I am being told by Tesla

Lower miles is in mid 20s and the 14s miles are about 42k. Both are pretty loaded P85s..

All else being equal, I would prioritize VIN over mileage. 4yr/50k warranty will mitigate any risk potentially introduced by the higher mileage, at least for a while, and you'll get a better build with more updates with the 2014.

Easy on the juice pedal when the kid is in the car regardless of which car seat you end up going with:)

I would go with the one that has the option you prefer. I personally could not live without full leather but that's just me. The only difference I would consider if you plan on keeping the car for a long time is the fact that the 2014 will have 1 more year of battery/drivetrain warranty. I personally own own a P85+ 2014 almost fully loaded and love it. The cars also retain value pretty good so I don't think the difference in mileage will have a big impact on resale value in the long run. Congrats on your decision to purchase a tesla! :)

All else being equal, I would prioritize VIN over mileage. 4yr/50k warranty will mitigate any risk potentially introduced by the higher mileage, at least for a while, and you'll get a better build with more updates with the 2014.

Easy on the juice pedal when the kid is in the car regardless of which car seat you end up going with:)

Top 2014 vin is in the 50k range
Top 2013 vin is in the teens

My SON LOVES HP. Seriously... He has been in my Vette a few times and love it

I assume the 2014 was not manufactured late enough in 2014 to have autopilot, correct? If it actually does have autopilot hardware, that would be a huge factor.

I had an AP1 for a week. Cool but, I do not do that many long trips. Plus having to touch the wheel all the time with it on was just like me holding the wheel... SO AP isnt our concern. They have a 70D 15 AP1 for 7k more but nothing else we like

I would go with the one that has the option you prefer. I personally could not live without full leather but that's just me. The only difference I would consider if you plan on keeping the car for a long time is the fact that the 2014 will have 1 more year of battery/drivetrain warranty. I personally own own a P85+ 2014 almost fully loaded and love it. The cars also retain value pretty good so I don't think the difference in mileage will have a big impact on resale value in the long run. Congrats on your decision to purchase a tesla! :)

Both cars have 4/50 so both cars are covered 2022. full coverage.
....... We like nice interiors as few of our cars have full custom nappa interiors

We can get a + 2k cheaper than the P85 but, again its a 13 vs the 14s.

I had an AP1 for a week. Cool but, I do not do that many long trips. Plus having to touch the wheel all the time with it on was just like me holding the wheel... SO AP isnt our concern. They have a 70D 15 AP1 for 7k more but nothing else we like

Just bear in mind that the Autopilot hardware brings a lot more to the table than "autosteer." For example, Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) works extremely well, and will not be available on a pre-autopilot car. Lane departure warning, speed assist, etc., early collision warning, etc., are all also quite useful.

All I'm saying is don't write off autopilot because of your issues with autosteer.

This is the 14... Nice options. Wish it has extended leather.

1. All Glass Panoramic Roof
  2. 19" Wheels
  3. Black Nappa Leather Seats
  4. Carbon Fiber Décor
  5. White Alcantara Headliner
  6. Carbon Fiber Spoiler
  7. Tesla Red Brake Calipers
  8. Dual Chargers
  9. Smart Air Suspension
Tech Package

Just bear in mind that the Autopilot hardware brings a lot more to the table than "autosteer." For example, Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC) works extremely well, and will not be available on a pre-autopilot car. Lane departure warning, speed assist, etc., early collision warning, etc., are all also quite useful.

All I'm saying is don't write off autopilot because of your issues with autosteer.

We have it on our 2015 Benz. Good I agree but for the extra cost we cant swing it.

After couple years driving I would set my priorities this way:
1. D better than single motor. This gives you better control in rain/ snow, and also better range
2. Autopilot better than pre AP. TACC is outstanding in stop-and-go traffic, not only for long trips.

The cost of retrofitting those would be quite high. Get the car with the features you want. Unless you're trying to put a deposit down today to catch the included Supercharging (which you probably don't need) then you should watch for the one with everything you want. If the 13 is that, go for it. There are minor differences but they are both great cars, and all the ones that matter have retrofits available if needed.

I had the exact same debate a couple of weeks ago. Was comparing a well equipped 2014 w 44k miles to a 2013 w less equipment and 5k miles. After doing a lot of reading the consensus seemed to be to buy the highest possible vin number. Mileage seemed to be less of a factor then year of build, as it was an indicator of build quality. I went for the 14 but made myself crazy researching