Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO price drops

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I bought my CPO I tracked prices almost daily. Every time there was some announcement of a new feature I would check hoping to see a miraculous drop in price. From my experience CPO prices tend to move fairly steadily. About $1 a mile and/or $1000 per month from initial delivery.

I would have thought so, but the economics for CPO's are completely in Tesla's favor right now, so I don't see them lowering the prices. I'm sure if you went to trade your car in today, they would give you less. Interestingly, I checked ev-cpo this morning and don't see any 75's available. Perhaps they worked hard to clear that inventory before the announcement or are just keeping those for loaners. At the low end, it seems like the ~50k entry point is holding pretty strong. Since there is no competitor to the S and there is huge demand for Tesla's, they can probably stay at that level until 3's are readily available -- which also is about the same time that the first AP1 cars will be coming off lease and hopefully AP2 starts to distance it self from AP1. If I were going CPO, I'd wait until the end of the year to pick up an AP1 car.

Does anyone use www.teslainventory.com? It has a good set of filters for searching CPO inventory listed on Tesla's website. It doesn't have access to all the inventory that a Tesla sales advisor will (I know this as I recently put a deposit on a CPO P85 that never showed up on either TI.com or Tesla's site), but it probably does have everything that Tesla exposes on their CPO website listings. TI.com tracks history and shows price drops, though I'm not sure exactly how they are calculated. There is a chart icon to the right of the price drop number, which you can hover over to bring up data but it seems to go much farther back in both time and mileage than a car could have been in CPO inventory by Tesla itself. For example P17072 is currently showing at $64K with a $10500 drop, with current mileage of 28484. The $10500 is based on a starting point of $74500 (ok that math works) but from Feb 2016 at an odometer of 12936. I suspect that data is being interpolated backward but it varies so widely how far back that I don't know what the earliest date is based on.

(Is there a way to edit a post? If so I can't find it.)

Ha - of course I searched after I posted about teslainventory.com and see that not only are there (not surprisingly) plenty of mentions but the author is a member here. Thanks Erik, definitely a great tool!