Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO prices coming down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a 2014 with 42k miles. Don't think that's particularly cheap. Search for a 2014 BMW M5 with that many miles and it's cheaper.
I am not very aware of the bmw market however for a Tesla this mileage is not very significant, especially taking into account the 4 years warranty unless you drive high mileage and will consume the 50k miles earlier which I wont.

Reactions: henderrj
The thing is this, as with many luxury $100k+ cars, thinking buying a 4 years old one for much cheaper than new would save much money may not be true (this depends a lot on price of course).

As with most such cars, after 8 years and 100k miles, especially with new generation Model S and much better batteries coming out probably within the next couple years (this also applies to any MB, BMW 100k+ cars as new generation and much better new cars come out), the car will be worth like ~10k. Let's just call it 10k; so the buyer of this pre-owned car is going to basically lose 56k on depreciation over the next 4 years.

I mean how much was this car new? 66 + 56 is over 122k... Did this car even cost that much after tax credit when new? Also as with pretty much all CPO, wear and tear items are not covered and owner will have to spend money to fix those things and they are generally expensive on expensive cars.

Seems the used car is not any cheaper in terms of operating cost compared to the new car (maybe even more expensive). Ya the price looks attractive, but when you actually think about it, it's not.

Last edited:
Except it is, never mind the fact that I don't think that a P85D will be worth 10k in 4 years (more like 30 IMO) the car itself was yes around 120k when it was new.

btw, a 2010 M5 w/ 85k miles and standard options is worth 25k on kbb - I doubt a MB is any different so it's worthless for me to spend more time to prove this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: henderrj
What do you guys think of this option for CPO? ~ $55K

85 Model S 2014

• 85 kWh Battery
  • 265 miles range (EPA)
  • 5.4 seconds 0-60 mph
  • 24K miles
  • Black Solid Paint
  • Grey Nappa Leather Seats
  • 19" Wheels
  • Body Color Roof
  • Carbon Fiber Décor
  • Standard Headliner
  • Autopilot with convenience features
  • Free Supercharging
  • Keyless Entry
  • Power Liftgate
  • GPS Enabled Homelink

These CPO prices just don't make sense to me. You can get a 2018 75D that is pretty much by all measures a better car (faster, newer, better built, very similar range, etc) for just about 20k more after tax rebates. I mean that's like 5k per year. You can barely lease a poorly equipped BMW 3 series for that amount of money...

If I were buying the entry level S, I would buy the new one instead of a CPO at these price differences.

I mean I can see the reason for the PD versions since they are REALLY expensive new and many can't afford them and they are super ultra fast so some may want to get into one at a more affordable price. Also deprecation on those are super heavy in the first several years, unlike for the more entry versions.
Ah, now you make sense :)

I was specifically talking about the P85D/P90D/P100D and their respective L versions.
The P85D that started this thread is faster than a 75D (significantly), and if you are like me some one who cares dearly about road handling as well, the no longer offered plus suspension is an additional bonus that you just cant get anymore.

As for cost, you are 100% right, driving a new tesla off the lot today will depreciate immediately and in my opinion a P85D that already took a large hit to depreciate will hold or even be better than a new 75D, however for entry models such as 85D vs 75D, i'd probably opt for the newer 75D if I could afford it, the $20k swing is still non trivial to some buyers even if it's just $5k a year that's still $5k :)

Some very good discussion about the exact same topic I looked at CPO (P)85D vs New 75D

What do you guys think of this option for CPO? ~ $55K

85 Model S 2014

• 85 kWh Battery
  • 265 miles range (EPA)
  • 5.4 seconds 0-60 mph
  • 24K miles
  • Black Solid Paint
  • Grey Nappa Leather Seats
  • 19" Wheels
  • Body Color Roof
  • Carbon Fiber Décor
  • Standard Headliner
  • Autopilot with convenience features
  • Free Supercharging
  • Keyless Entry
  • Power Liftgate
  • GPS Enabled Homelink

I have a December 2014 85 that I do love. But I couldn't do a solid roof. Also this doesn't have the cold weather package. Although it's only seeds and windshield it's still pretty nice to have. Is this one that Tesla offered you, that is to say with a full warranty?

Again seeing CPO prices coming down. Looking just at P85D, several less than $70K including one with less than 20K miles for $60,600, and a rare Titanium Metallic with less than 19K miles for $67,000. Seems crazy to me, or just end of quarter deals? Thoughts?

Again seeing CPO prices coming down. Looking just at P85D, several less than $70K including one with less than 20K miles for $60,600, and a rare Titanium Metallic with less than 19K miles for $67,000. Seems crazy to me, or just end of quarter deals? Thoughts?

I think CPO prices are worthless now that we have a car that is not actually refurbished being sold.. for all I know that car can have 10k of body work & paint to bring it to the pristine status of my P85D I bought in January, and I paid about the same as the prices you mentioned above. So I personally don't see the prices going down actually rather staying flat.

Reactions: BigNick and KJD
Seems like a good deal to me as here in Canada the cheapest P85D is still 100k CAD (which is about 75k USD). I would request pictures if you're interested.
Have you ever seen such pictures? How detailed are they? Does Tesla guarantee those (as in, if it shows up with damage not shown in any of the pictures, they will fix it)? Anyone vouch for "no funny smells"?

CPO nowadays seems like buying "a cat in bag". At least with used car dealers you can personally inspect the car before putting down non-refundable deposit.