Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO purchased finally! P85D with low miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After months of searching, and searching and lurking around here, I finally bought my first Tesla. Its a 2015 P85D. I am extremely excited but a little worried as well. I have never even driven a Tesla before. I'm coming from a BMW 650i convertible. Can't wait to get it.

A couple questions. I just put a deposit down on the car via the website after getting pictures from my sales advisor. The car is in Atlanta and I'm about a mile from the Paramus,NJ location. So how does this work? Do I have to fly out to Atlanta? I am also trading in the BMW. How does the trade in work? Any insight you guys can give me would be great.

Attachments

• w1600h1200.jpg
    w1600h1200.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 235
  • w1600h1200 (2).jpg
    w1600h1200 (2).jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 178
  • w1600h1200 (4).jpg
    w1600h1200 (4).jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 181
  • w1600h1200 (6).jpg
    w1600h1200 (6).jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 187
If you're trading the BMW in, you're driving it to Atlanta. Tesla will not ship used vehicles.
Congrats on the car!

Edit: Is NJ a front license plate state? If so, make sure you get the mount for it. I notice it's not there in the pictures.

Welcome and congrats! Great car, including color, but then again, I’m a bit biased. :)

As for the trade, everything’s done online as part of your six steps. You need pics to upload and then you’ll get an offer. Recommend you get a quote from Car Max to compare against.

Attachments

• D7DFA83C-6739-484B-B561-1AC22CA4728F.jpeg
    D7DFA83C-6739-484B-B561-1AC22CA4728F.jpeg
    455.5 KB · Views: 170
Have you considered what you will do if you do not like the car but you already traded in your old one?

My SA sent me pretty good pictures and I didn't see anything wrong with the car. Now, that's not to say something won't come up. Hopefully we can resolve it and move on with the sale or we'll have to search for a new one. She was really good about me not having to buy a car I'm not happy with.

Welcome to the family!

We had Tesla ship our CPO Model S from Fremont to Denver. They waived the shipping fee because they were able to put the car on a carrier bringing new cars here. No trade to bother with. You could inspect the car in Atlanta, buy it, then enjoy your first road trip bringing it home.

Carole made it a painless experience and we'd do it again in a heartbeat. The only indication the car was used was finding about $17 in quarters under the console ;^)

Just did the same. No trade in for me, but buy a one way ticket to ATL. You'll need some sort of flexibility because you have 7 days to pick it up from the day it is ready. Not the date of purchase. For me I used Southwest points and had a return flight just in case it was junk. Wasn't the case and I cancelled the return flight.

You'll learn a lot about your car driving it home. From range, to power, to regenerative braking. For me I decided to push it one night to see how close I could limp into town. Bad idea. Hovering at 55 mph, with no heater going into Cheyenne Wyoming. Made it but I learned to just give it 5 extra minutes to charge up and eliminate the stress.

Welcome to the family!

We had Tesla ship our CPO Model S from Fremont to Denver. They waived the shipping fee because they were able to put the car on a carrier bringing new cars here. No trade to bother with. You could inspect the car in Atlanta, buy it, then enjoy your first road trip bringing it home.

Carole made it a painless experience and we'd do it again in a heartbeat. The only indication the car was used was finding about $17 in quarters under the console ;^)

That would be awesome if they would just put it on a carrier and bring it up North. I doubt they would do it though. Before the one I bought I saw another in Westchester, New York. Not that far from me but a little inconvenient. My SA offered to have someone drive it to the Paramus location a mile from my house.

Driving from Atlanta to Northern NJ is a little bit of a hike. Its would take about 14 hours not including stops to charge the car. I agree, it would be a great way for me to get to know the car. Especially since I have never driven one. We'll see what happens. I'll keep everyone posted on what I do.

Reactions: Lucky_Man
You'll love the car. Acceleration is instant and effortless. The battery is heavy and low, the car is light & aluminum, the center of gravity is 18” off the ground, the car corners flat with no roll.

That car looks like new from the pictures. You might consider Xpel paint protection on at least the leading edges and hood. It'll save you paint chips in the coming years. The cost is much more reasonable than covering the entire car. I got a bumper chip driving mine home 70 miles after picking it up. I got the Xpel the following week. No chips since.

Enhanced Autopilot is worthwhile. If it isn't equipped, that is something to consider. It'll be great for he long drive back home.

Best of luck.

Reactions: Lucky_Man
Just did the same. No trade in for me, but buy a one way ticket to ATL. You'll need some sort of flexibility because you have 7 days to pick it up from the day it is ready. Not the date of purchase. For me I used Southwest points and had a return flight just in case it was junk. Wasn't the case and I cancelled the return flight.

You'll learn a lot about your car driving it home. From range, to power, to regenerative braking. For me I decided to push it one night to see how close I could limp into town. Bad idea. Hovering at 55 mph, with no heater going into Cheyenne Wyoming. Made it but I learned to just give it 5 extra minutes to charge up and eliminate the stress.

Did you have to pay Georgia state tax? Reason I ask is that in New Jersey, there is no tax on an electric car purchase. That will kill this deal for me. My SA said she was unfamiliar and will find out and get back to me. She did say that if I do have to pay tax, she can move the car to another location where I won't have to pay tax.

Did you have to pay Georgia state tax? Reason I ask is that in New Jersey, there is no tax on an electric car purchase. That will kill this deal for me. My SA said she was unfamiliar and will find out and get back to me. She did say that if I do have to pay tax, she can move the car to another location where I won't have to pay tax.

You'll still need to tell the DMV the amount you paid for the car when you register it. They'll make sure the sales tax is collected then. Even if someone gives you the car, you'll owe taxes on the estimated value.

If you pay sales tax in another state, usually they will charge you only the difference if any if the purchase state tax is lower. There is tax reprocity in many states. If there isn't, it is possible to be charged sales tax twice. I'm hazy on this last part, though, but it is why I didn't pick up my car in CA and drive it back to TN. I'd love to have done a factory pickup and do the tour.

I'd love to be wrong about all this. Please, someone, tell me I'm wrong.

You'll still need to tell the DMV the amount you paid for the car when you register it. They'll make sure the sales tax is collected then. Even if someone gives you the car, you'll owe taxes on the estimated value.

If you pay sales tax in another state, usually they will charge you only the difference if any if the purchase state tax is lower. There is tax reprocity in many states. If there isn't, it is possible to be charged sales tax twice. I'm hazy on this last part, though, but it is why I didn't pick up my car in CA and drive it back to TN. I'd love to have done a factory pickup and do the tour.

I'd love to be wrong about all this. Please, someone, tell me I'm wrong.
pretty sure you pay tax on the state you register the car in... at least in GA.. i bought in NC and still had to pay taxes in GA when i registered it

Update:

I do have to fly out to Atlanta to pick up the car. No way around that really. Should be a great way for me to get to know the car over the 13 hour, 870 mile trip back home.

My SA also said she talked to a couple colleagues and they think I won't have any tax implications at all in Georgia. She said that the people drawing up the contracts will confirm for sure.

I also got an email from my delivery advisor introducing himself. He asked me to be patient with him. He said, "...there is a 7-10 day wait from our logistics team to move vehicles."

That might actually work in my favor. I work for a major network so I am pretty busy at work with all this stuff in the news right now and the midterm elections coming up. Will keep everyone posted on what happens.

If you're trading the BMW in, you're driving it to Atlanta. Tesla will not ship used vehicles.
Congrats on the car!

Edit: Is NJ a front license plate state? If so, make sure you get the mount for it. I notice it's not there in the pictures.

Hey ckoval7,

Thanks so much for noticing that the car didn't have a front license plate mount. I spoke to my DS and she was going to see about having one put on.

Reactions: ckoval7