TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

Crackling noise

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by MnInvsve, May 16, 2018.

1. Zedism

Zedism Member

Only problem I’ve had (and why I came across this thread) is the radio not playing. No matter what station tuned to, or how high I turned the volume it was mute. Didn’t effect tune in or iPhone audio. Reboot seems to have fixed it.

• Like x 1
  2. emorog

emorog Member

• Like x 1
  3. BayArea3

BayArea3 Member

Ours does the same thing. We switched to song and it goes away. It was just in for service last week. They made a few tweaks but will know if it worked in a few day.

4. SigNC

SigNC Active Member

it happens with me on slacker. I just skip the song and it goes away. I'd say it happens probably once every 2 weeks.

5. BluePhoton

BluePhoton Member

I'm on this thread because I've noticed this too - It sounds like a known issue for Tesla - so hopefully will get isolated and fixed soon...

6. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

I've noticed that pausing and replaying the song normally fixes this for me, i used to have to skip the entire song.

7. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

Not sure if related, but it looks like a crack finally appeared on the windshield. This sound was from before I had the dash cam, but it looks like the installation made it worse until it cracked.

IMG_3922.jpg

8. pobudz

pobudz Member

Ditto.

9. phigment

phigment Member

On firmware 2018.26.1 62e5afa, still experience the audio pops occasionally.

• Like x 1
  10. SigNC

SigNC Active Member

road trip down from ontario going smoothly?

11. quantumslip

quantumslip Member

Glad I found this and am not the only one experiencing this issue... 2018.32.2 3817fdd. Have not tried the pause / unpause trick but the next song plays fine. Happened with Slacker for me. Also experienced my first MCU reboot when I got into my car after it was sitting in the parking lot for 2 hrs (not plugged in).

12. Sneakerhead

Sneakerhead Member

I thought it was water in my speakers from a tint job. Thank god others have this issue. This happens intermittently rarely when it has trouble loading a song/podcast. Stops playing and starts the static sound. Its fixed if i press down both buttons and soft reset the screen. I couldnt pause or move forward or change from intune to bluetooth/radio/slacker. Still the best car Ive ever had lol.

13. phigment

phigment Member

Still happening in 2018.32.6 08c12e6

14. golfpilot

golfpilot Member

I occassionally get pretty nasty sound/crackling. I have yet to have this happen while playing Spotify via blutooth where I have the highest quality audio set in settings. This suggests to me it is a problem with the streaming service, not the car.

• Helpful x 1
  15. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Crackling only happens when playing 'good' songs...

16. phigment

phigment Member

I don't think it's streaming that is causing the problem. I recall somebody posted on twitter that they have experienced similar problems when they programmed their own DAC logic.. that there is a circular buffer that isn't being used properly and the boundary of the buffer is introducing noise.

The fact that pause play clears up the issue indicates that it's a issue with way the audio is played back. A quick pause/play wouldn't throw away the already buffered data, download again from the internet and start playback quickly enough. But a play/pause would likely reinitialize internal buffers used in sending audio to the sounds system.

• Like x 1
  17. flashflooder

flashflooder Member

It is definitely not streaming. I've had the crackling randomly on just about every source, including streaming, USB, and Bluetooth.

• Helpful x 1
  18. Owen_H

Owen_H Member

I'm at 2018.36.2 and still have the crackling sound from windshield/dash area occasionally. The source of the music seems doesn't matter.

19. chibi_kurochan

yup, it still happens from time to time but less often than before.

20. emorog

emorog Member

Yep. You mean this one?
    Graeme Devine on Twitter

• Like x 1