Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crashed my 90D into a fence while parking...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keeping one foot always touching or resting upon the brake pedal is the goal. Creep will not always supply enough drive so you may have to accelerate slightly every so often. Or you may have Creep turned off. Then just don't be actually pressing on the brake and the gong remains silent. One learns.
--

That's a good point. In an ICE vehicle if my foot isn't on the gas, it's resting on the break. With regenerative breaking, my foot is getting lazy and hanging out on the accelerator since I don't need to go to the break. But old-world driving, if I see something dangerous, I slam down the foot (because by default it's on the break). With one-pedal driving, my "default" has changed.

• Helpful
Reactions: CameronB and Carl
It leaves me think a lot, as an experienced drive for more than 20 years, i never made this mistake before
Perhaps you have but the previous car wasn't as responsive and thus there was no panic and you were able to quickly correct without a second thought. I could be wrong but most people, like myself, who drive Tesla's have never driven anything to responsive and quick in the past.

For sure that's one part of the problem. A former partner of my firm bought himself a Maserati with Ferrari-motor (and dito gearbox) at age 60. He was so afraid of the reactions of that car that we had to mount a bunch of tyres against the wall of his parking space :).

Today EV's are giving immediate incredibly high torque to everyone. At the same time, that accelerator also serves as a (regen) brake. So I can imagine that when your car is braking (but not enough) and your foot is still waving above that accelerator pedal, you somehow could have as a reflex to push that (wrong) pedal further.

I do therefore persist in thinking that creep mode is helpful. At any speed under 7 or 8 km/h, your foot is a priori only on or above the brake pedal, so that's the only pedal you would then use, as a reflex.

MInor mishap today
This is probably what exactly happened to you as well. Quite a common human error which unfortunately in a state of panic is forgotten and thought to have occurred due to Tesla.

I am the driver in the above Minor Mishap today thread. I agree that regen may have played a role. It is driver error, though and has now reinforced to me the need to always know where my driving foot is.

I got my Model X a little over a week ago, and I first, I had creep turned off. I certainly appreciate the convenience of this feature in intersections and such. But I have to maneuver my car into a very tight garage (I have to place the car within ~2 inches sideways and ~4 inches lengthwise, to avoid touching walls, managing to get the drivers door open, reaching the charge port and closing the garage door), and every press of the accelerator felt like a near-accident, so I eventually turned creep on.

Creep ensures that you have your foot on the brake most of the time while driving slowly, which helps avoid most of these types of accidents. I considered making two driver profiles, one with creep and one without, where I could switch between them depending on whether I was trying to park or I was going for a drive, but I just decided it would be too much hassle, and leave it on all the time.

Of course, creep won't prevent every accident. Confusion can happen, and it more commonly occurs as you get older.

Would summon work for you? I've used it once or twice to get out of a very tight spot.
I haven't paid to activate autopilot, but I am a bit skeptical of even trying summon. When I back into the garage, the parking sensors tell me to stop repeatedly as the walls are too close. Also it reacts to the floor, as I back down an incline into my garage. Anyone know if summon will disregard this?

Also, I can't park with equal space on both sides. I need to park at a slight angle, with less space on the passenger side, so that I can reach the charge port. I doubt summon is smart enough to figure that out.

Last edited:
I haven't paid to activate autopilot, but I am a bit skeptical of even trying summon. When I back into the garage, the parking sensors tell me to stop repeatedly as the walls are too close. Also it reacts to the floor, as I back down an incline into my garage. Anyone know if summon will disregard this?

Also, I can't park with equal space on both sides. I need to park at a slight angle, with less space on the passenger side, so that I can reach the charge port. I doubt summon is smart enough to figure that out.

I have the same situation, with the parking sensors telling me to stop as I go into the parking garage. Summon does work backing out though, just fine.

The car is full of scratch but no main structure damage. I just notice you are from chengdu. I go to chengdu for business or for vocation time to time. Love the hotpot and 青城后山 there...
Pleased damage wasn't too bad, I hope your wife isn't too upset about her car!

Next time you are heading to Chengdu we should meet for Hotpot. p.m. me and we can share WeChat.