TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Crazy conspiracy theory tinfoil hat time in regards to AP...

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by cdub, Feb 27, 2017.

1. cdub

cdub Future Model 3 owner / Current original Leaf owner

I had this crazy shower thought this morning...

What if we are seeing a lot of reports of AP performing poorer than expected because of something nefarious in the corporate sabotage realm?

What if before the former director of AP left Tesla (the one who allegedly stole their secrets and whom Tesla is suing), a "poison pill" was inserted deep in the AP code to make AP perform poorer than usual?

Then... he could say... look how poor AP is with Tesla is now that I'VE left... everyone should invest in MY company instead.

Just a crazy thought.

Is it crazy? YES. I've been reading way too many spy novels recently.
    Is it likely? NOT REALLY. It's probably just growing pains with the new hardware and software.
    Should Tesla look in their code for it? DEFINITELY.

NOTE: I am NOT saying this guy did this. I don't think it's likely at all... but it's certainly something that Telsa should at least look into the possibility of.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. Haxster

Haxster Member

No. No. It's just the alcohol-based coolant leaking into the Nvidia controller that's making it drunk.

• Funny x 1
  3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

1, That argument would backfire. "It happened right after my watch" in the software realm would trigger internal examination and a scathing blog post that reveals otherwise.
    2. Criminal behavior. Not worth the gamble for an intellectual.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  4. cdub

I agree. I've been reading too many spy novels. That's why I prefaced it with a crazy tinfoil hat. :)

5. cdub

I agree with you that this didn't happen. But smart people certainly do stupid criminal things.

6. croman

croman Active Member

Great imagination for shower time. Here I am listening to NPR some rushing through menial tasks in the morning.

• Like x 1
  7. SteelCageMatch

SteelCageMatch New Member

You've committed the classic blunder!
    No, not that one...
    Never attribute to malice that which could also be explained by incompetence.

8. cdub

Starting a land war in East asia? Going up against a Sicilian when death is on the line?

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Nah, this has nothing to do with Sterling. Although, you might be able to sort of build off AP 1.0 data, it's much more difficult than that because you're incorporating more data sources. It simply needs more training data with the current hardware. This process should go fairly quickly compared to how long AP 1.0 took. It's not going to be overnight, but it's clear that with repetition and hitting corner cases that it'll do just fine.

Consider the FSD demo, it used the same hardware except that it was trained over and over on the same stretch of road until it was nearly perfect. Imagine having a much larger data set. Instead of it needing to be the same path over and over, it'll be able to generalize and be usable practically anywhere. We simply need to give it time for more miles to be driven by AP 2.0 equipped cars.

10. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

I suppose it would be possible for someone to apply solar film in front of the camera(s) decrease it's performance.

I think bulk of AP2 issues are due to staffing reshuffle which probably delayed AP2 by a quarter or so.

We will probably learn more as the things unfold as we did with Model X.

11. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

You don't think it has anything to do with an entirely new hardware platform and additional sensors?

12. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

13. MonseyGuy

MonseyGuy Supporting Member

This. And possibly there were fatal flaws discovered that can't be surmounted hence the deafening silence and the trickle release pace?

Who knows...

But if tesla Inc. would only talk a little more forthrightly to its owners, none of us would have to be wasting time speculating like this.

14. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

Yes, of course, AP2 needs more training data- after all it can make fully autonomous trip when given time to learn.

Every time when management changes it slows down development. Given Tesla's tight road-map it probably affected development even more so( from what I read it was not just the top guy but also three developers that left )

I am very optimistic about this however because I think Chris is better suited to carry this project forward.

15. MonseyGuy

MonseyGuy Supporting Member

Since this is a tinfoil thread, imagine Chris's reaction when he sees what's left of the code base once MobileEye's system code is extracted:

##
    10 PRINT "Hello World!"
    20 GOTO 10
    ##

"That's all that's left?"

16. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

MobilEye only provided basic object recognition in an asic chip... It's not terribly complicated to reproduce this effort with a GPU.

17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Made me ponder all the 'intellectuals' at VW that thought emissions 'cheats' in software could be hidden and kept quiet...