Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CRAZY speculation: Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think tesla would want to cannibalize modelS sales with a faster and much more economic model 3. This is why even though the Boxster is a better balanced car than the 911 Porsche it is deliberately left with less hp to avoid competing with its big brother. They might make a ludicrous option but you can bet it will be slower than a P90DL. Just my two cents
Newer technology "Has" to be better.

As a company...you can't improve on technically and create something inferior to history.

Tesla can't go backwards. I don't care what the model is.....each model has to be better than the last.

MS is better than roadster
MX is better than MS
???? is better than MX.

Or Tesla can try to sell it by class.....of which they could.

Roadster is the best 2 seater
MS is the best sedan
MX is the best SUV
M≡ is the best of it's class.

I don't think tesla would want to cannibalize modelS sales with a faster and much more economic model 3. This is why even though the Boxster is a better balanced car than the 911 Porsche it is deliberately left with less hp to avoid competing with its big brother. They might make a ludicrous option but you can bet it will be slower than a P90DL. Just my two cents

Model 3 will eventually sell 500k or more every year, Tesla will not hold back peak performance options being offered on Model 3 just to protect sales of high end Model S. I think the differentiation for Model S will come from more expensive material and luxury options that you just cannot do on a mass market product.

Model 3 will eventually sell 500k or more every year, Tesla will not hold back peak performance options being offered on Model 3 just to protect sales of high end Model S. I think the differentiation for Model S will come from more expensive material and luxury options that you just cannot do on a mass market product.

Toyota only sells 428,000 or so Camrys in a year. A well equipped Camry is about $25,000. It's going to be awhile before tesla is hitting those numbers. In fact it's not unrealistic to say it just can't happen.

• Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
A well equipped Camry is about $25,000
That's a low-end Camry. It starts at $23,070. A decked-out hybrid version is $35,105. A base Model 3 already competes with that price-wise, and it certainly "out-hybrids" it for people worried about that aspect.

All of the various hybrids in this price range are going to lose sales to the Model 3. It's going to be interesting times in the new-car market.

When I was researching all those hybrids were gutless slugs, many take more than 10s 0-60. Additionally because it has a gasoline engine and batteries, you get reduced cargo space. I don't recall how much is lost with the Hybrid Camry, but the Fusion's normal trunk space is 16 cf. The regular hybrid Fusion has 13 cf of trunk and the Fusion Energi (plug in) has only 8 cf.

You may have the range to do a long road trip with a hybrid, but with most of them you can only do it if you travel very light, or pile the luggage in the back seat. On top of the kids if you have them.

I was going to say that exact thing. Every mid-size, non-luxury ICE sedan on the market starts between $21,500 and $23,000. That's the Camry, Accord, Mazda6, Malibu, Sonata, Optima, Chrysler 200, Altima, Passat and Fusion.

I forgot to add, that ~430,000 Camry sales figure is for U.S. sales only, not worldwide.

So 500,000 Model 3 sales worldwide is certainly possible.

I was going to say that exact thing. Every mid-size, non-luxury ICE sedan on the market starts between $21,500 and $23,000. That's the Camry, Accord, Mazda6, Malibu, Sonata, Optima, Chrysler 200, Altima, Passat and Fusion.
That's a low-end Camry. It starts at $23,070. A decked-out hybrid version is $35,105. A base Model 3 already competes with that price-wise, and it certainly "out-hybrids" it for people worried about that aspect.

All of the various hybrids in this price range are going to lose sales to the Model 3. It's going to be interesting times in the new-car market.

So you think Tesla will sell 428,000 Model 3s a year?

When do you think that will happen?

FWIW, Toyota dealers offer deep discounts on the Camry and there are also factory incentives. My boss just got a pretty well equipped 2016 hybrid model for about $25,000 out the door before taxes. Of course he's a cheap bastard and completely envious of my 340i.

If you're going to point out that $25,000 is a "low end" Camry then we should all acknowledge that $35,000 is a "low end" Model 3 and the average one is probably going to be at, or higher than Elon's estimated $42,000 average selling price.

I don't see any automaker selling 428,000 a year of a car with that price point.

Dislike away, kool-aid drinkers.

Reactions: jkk_

We should feel lucky to be one of the first ones to have a Tesla. Pretty soon millions will want in, and it could be a longer wait for those who come after us.

Instead of plaid-why not use 1.21 gigawatts?! Or Great Scott!!! Or Flux speed?!

Why use plaid??? Sounds like a tired 70's suit (old and slow). Grab something from Star Trek, "Warp-Speed", or Star Wars "Light-Speed", make it sound LIVE, not a tired "plaid suit" speed. Come on Elon, i can come up with you something better, give me a job !!!

Last edited: