Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if the real reason Tesla chose the summer tires for the M3P is because Elon thought it was necessary to have a 0-60 time starting with a 2 and if he had gone with an all season tire it would have been just over the 3 mark. With the MYP it was already at 3.5 anyway so there was no benefit to selecting a summer tire. Aside from the 0-60 time how could the inconvenience of summer only tires out weigh any perceives deficiencies with going with something like the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4?
Performance trim cars are generally about more than 0-60 times.

If i ordered a BMW M3 xDrive and it came with all season tires I'd be pissed!
You should get a choice. If it's winter, then you don't want summer tires.
The main reason they only put on summer tires is for review testing. They used the car as delivered and summer tires make it "faster".

Smaller 19's should be an option too. It's not even hard as they already have them.

Stop dreaming bro and get a Plaid... what is it with this obsession of trying to make this new M3P a hypercar? It's just a fast cheap car
Seriously, these guys are going to give themselves an aneurysm hoping and praying that a .2 reduction in 0-60 is somehow going to translate into dropping a second off and adding 10 Mph to the quarter mile. Even if it did run mid-10's at 125, which is fantastic(and probably the performance bargain of the century), the Plaid can be had for just a bit more cash, and you get a whole lot more car. A LOT MORE.

Seriously, these guys are going to give themselves an aneurysm hoping and praying that a .2 reduction in 0-60 is somehow going to translate into dropping a second off and adding 10 Mph to the quarter mile. Even if it did run mid-10's at 125, which is fantastic(and probably the performance bargain of the century), the Plaid can be had for just a bit more cash, and you get a whole lot more car. A LOT MORE.
I swapped to 18" wheels and went from 117.67 mph to 119.55 mph trap speeds in the old car. No other changes just smaller and lighter wheels. Not even forged wheels either.

The new car has lighter 20' forged wheels. That alone would help some. However, just dropping .05 on the 60' would translate into 10ths by the 1/4 mile with no other changes.

This new car has "lighter forged wheels", "32% more Peak Power", "16% more Peak Torque", and MUCH wider rear tires. I simply don't understand why some of you think that will amount to very little gain at all? Look at the gains I got from simply switching out the wheels and heating the battery with the old car. Why would doing all of that and adding 50+ HP amount to almost no gains at all?

Last edited:
It's a performance car. The long range exists for your needs
Understood, but for the Performance Model Y they went with all season tires so it’s not a given that all Performance trims will have summer tires. And judging by the number of people in this forum who are already planning to swap out the tires on delivery I’d say there’s clearly a market for people who want an M3P but don’t want summer tires on them.

Also maybe this is considered off topic or the wrong forum, but there was a bill filed in the senate to repeal the EV tax credit effective 30 days after enactment. So those who told me earlier I shouldn’t worry about the IRA getting repealed, should the dynamics of US politics change here in 6 months or so, that EV tax credit will be repealed make no mistake about it. Which is why I’m taking delivery on December 31st or slightly earlier. And that’s all I’ll say about that lol. YMMV

Understood, but for the Performance Model Y they went with all season tires so it’s not a given that all Performance trims will have summer tires. And judging by the number of people in this forum who are already planning to swap out the tires on delivery I’d say there’s clearly a market for people who want an M3P but don’t want summer tires on them.
While I think it would be nice if Tesla offered an option for all season tires on the M3P, it would cost them more money to have that option, and their competition doesn't provide that option, so there's not much incentive for Tesla to do so.

While I think it would be nice if Tesla offered an option for all season tires on the M3P, it would cost them more money to have that option, and their competition doesn't provide that option, so there's not much incentive for Tesla to do so.
Their competition is generally more flexible about delivery dates. Tesla will sell your car to the next buyer if you can't make the date they assign work because of weather or whatever.

Then do what I did. Pick up another set of wheels and tires suitable for winter, and bring them with you when you pick up the car. Let the service center know in advance, and they should be willing to swap them for you for a fee.
Agreed, but transporting 4 19” wheels to a delivery appt is easier said than done. And then also transporting the 4 20” wheels after they swap lol.

Reactions: superflyrolla
Really? They'll fit in just about any sedan, hatchback, SUV, or truck. Unless you're planning to take public transport or a 2 seat sports car to pick up your new Tesla, you should be fine.
I personally have transported 4 19” wheels before. You can barely fit two in the trunk of the M3 (struggled to get the trunk to close) so two 20” may be too big. You have to “sneakily” get the other two in the back seat, which is not easy and again 19” not 20”. Not saying it can’t be done, but just saying it’s far more a PITA than you’re making it out to be.

I personally have transported 4 19” wheels before. You can barely fit two in the trunk of the M3 (struggled to get the trunk to close) and you have to “sneakily” get the other 2 in the back seat, which is not easy. Not saying it can’t be done, but just saying it’s far more a PITA than you’re making it out to be.
Not really. It's challenging in most sedans and smaller SUVs.
Well, I guess we all have our own ideas about what constitutes a "PITA" or "challenging", but I've transported 4 or more wheels and tires in a variety of smaller vehicles over the years, and never even gave it a second thought. This includes vehicles like a Honda Civic, multiple BMW 3 series going back to the 1990s, a Toyota RAV4, and yes, a Tesla Model 3. Just put each tire/wheel in a large trash bag so you don't get the interior dirty and put them in the vehicle. No problem.

The size tires that fit on a Model 3 really aren't that big. Now, if you were trying to transport Cybertruck size wheels and tires, it's a different story. :)

Reactions: Gasaraki
I personally have transported 4 19” wheels before. You can barely fit two in the trunk of the M3 (struggled to get the trunk to close) so two 20” may be too big. You have to “sneakily” get the other two in the back seat, which is not easy and again 19” not 20”. Not saying it can’t be done, but just saying it’s far more a PITA than you’re making it out to be.
4 wheels across fits in the backseat of my 2018 M3P

It will be interesting to find out of the new wheels fit given the wider rears.

The weight is there for sure, but the Plaid has much better suspension than the 3 and actually has more lateral grip. Even on a very tight track, the Plaid is a blast to drive. And once the session is over, you throw it in comfort mode and cruise on home.

Reactions: terranx
I swapped to 18" wheels and went from 117.67 mph to 119.55 mph trap speeds in the old car. No other changes just smaller and lighter wheels. Not even forged wheels either.

The new car has lighter 20' forged wheels. That alone would help some. However, just dropping .05 on the 60' would translate into 10ths by the 1/4 mile with no other changes.

This new car has "lighter forged wheels", "32% more Peak Power", "16% more Peak Torque", and MUCH wider rear tires. I simply don't understand why some of you think that will amount to very little gain at all? Look at the gains I got from simply switching out the wheels and heating the battery with the old car. Why would doing all of that and adding 50+ HP amount to almost no gains at all?
.05 in the 60' is worth about one tenth. I swapped to lightweight 18's on mine and the difference in 1/4 mile times was less than a tenth. heating the battery makes the biggest difference. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the new one does. If it's a full half second quicker and runs 10.80-10.90, we're talking a 4-5% increase in acceleration, which I find to be extremely underwhelming.

Reactions: MarkoP