Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crazy to buy 85 with no options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kids are in child seats for the foreseeable future, so no need for rear heated seats. Don't really see a need for the package, car is garage kept as well.
I’ve read (here on the forum somewhere) about some owners (or at least one) that have experienced issues with the wiper blades in certain subzero conditions with some kind of heavy snow. According to the comments that followed, this can apparently happen to all cars in certain weather conditions though... But I guess I just thought the Wiper blade defrosters and the Washer nozzle heaters which only comes with Subzero package were there for some kind of reason. But maybe there isn’t…

It's definitely a viable option if it fits into your driving pattern for a daily driver. Might make longer trips for difficult but you said daily driver. Hopefully the wait for a P100+ AWD isn't too long.

Sorry but I disagree. Unless you have no friends and/or family and basically don't take part in any (social) activity. You don't know what life throws at you, and you want to have range/buffer when you need to go someplace. Maybe I'm not so good at planning. Then again, who wants to plan everything.

Considering you are spending so much money on a car, you want comfort. The 85 gives you wayyy more in this regard.

Dylan, I know you mean well, but, to quote any average teenager, "like, whatever."

The thing is it's hard to understand the viability of something unless one's lived with it. The 60 is an excellent and a very useful choice for many and works well with little or no planning.

Sorry but I disagree. Unless you have no friends and/or family and basically don't take part in any (social) activity. You don't know what life throws at you, and you want to have range/buffer when you need to go someplace. Maybe I'm not so good at planning. Then again, who wants to plan everything.

Considering you are spending so much money on a car, you want comfort. The 85 gives you wayyy more in this regard.

I agree the 85 is more useful but that hardly means the 60 works for no one. What if they have a 3 mile commute to work and take their ICE for longer trips? 90% of driving is under 40 miles in a day I believe so I'm pretty sure hose people have friends and family.

We're in the same boat, in Boston. Used market almost non-existent, for lightly optioned 85's. A lack of super chargers in all of New England, accept for southern CT/RI makes even an 85 look less good than for a New Yorker, CA person, etc. If you went 60kwh, I'd have suggested the CHAdeMo adapter and a peak at all the open Nissan, ~50kw units that are popping up on Plug Share (on rt. 128).

As a MA resident, also be sure to get on a TOU rate plan with NSTAR, or National Grid. Overnight rates aren't a steel, but should go from the standard ~18 cents/kwh, to around 12, unless you are with someone else. As you are budget minded, a clamp meter from Harbor Freight (~$10) and getting things like electric water heat going on timers can be big savers, and show you where your watts are going/leaking.

PS - The seat heat seemed lame enough I gave up on sub-zero, for the rear. FWIW, I gave up on 60kwh, too, considering the s-charge hardware, MXM Primacy tires and resale the 85 should bring. Now, if I could fight the urge for the much more heavily optioned cars priced ~10k more...

My plan was to get the 85 with no options. That didn't last long though. Ended up spending 90k. So far my only regret is not getting the pearl white. I got the gray and it looks great, but I think I would have been happier with white. But I like the bigger battery - I charge it to 170 miles a day, and that's plenty. I know I'm saving my battery's long term health, and I know I've got the extra range for long trips. But its a personal choice, I honestly don't think you can go wrong either way!