Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking headliner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Recently I’ve noticed a slight creaking noise coming from the headliner area around the rear view mirror/ forward facing camera enclosure area in my Oct 2018 MS. I’ve pushed on the area trying to recreate it while stationary, held pressure on the area while moving to try to silence it but can’t locate the source. Not sure if it’s coming from the windshield area or perhaps the front part of the sun roof or the headliner itself. Anyone else have a similar noise and and were you able to isolate the source and stop the noise?
Thanks

Set sunroof to vent and opened half way but neither made any difference in the creaking. I did pull down slightly on the cover that encloses the front facing camera against the windshield and that did decrease the noise. I’m going to try to put some shims or something between the enclosure and the windshield to see if that helps. Will let you know if it works.

Set sunroof to vent and opened half way but neither made any difference in the creaking. I did pull down slightly on the cover that encloses the front facing camera against the windshield and that did decrease the noise. I’m going to try to put some shims or something between the enclosure and the windshield to see if that helps. Will let you know if it works.

Any luck with removing the noise? I have the same issue and was hoping @Fleer or @Doanster1 could post more details or even pics of how they solved for this.

Any luck with removing the noise? I have the same issue and was hoping @Fleer or @Doanster1 could post more details or even pics of how they solved for this.
For me it’s fortunately very simple. The rubber sunroof gasket just dries out over time and causes squeaks when mated with the closed sunroof glass. So when I start hearing the squeaks again, I just re-apply the Gummi Pfledge along the front of the gasket and all his silent again for another couple months.

I
For me it’s fortunately very simple. The rubber sunroof gasket just dries out over time and causes squeaks when mated with the closed sunroof glass. So when I start hearing the squeaks again, I just re-apply the Gummi Pfledge along the front of the gasket and all his silent again for another couple months.
l'll give that a shot, but it sounds like the noise is coming from under the headliner where the windshield meets the roof panel, not the sunroof. I still hear the creaking with the sunroof open.

Does it sound like it could be a loose wire touching styrofoam insulation? I had that, but coming from the passenger end of headliner. I found a fix when taking off A pillar panels: there was some excess wire (10-15 cm) routed through passenger side A pillar up to the headliner, which enabled it to move around and make a sound in specific circumstances. I pulled the excess into the A pillar and secured with appropriate deadening materials. Never heard a rattle since.

I retested the sunroof theory by opening it halfway while driving and it made no difference in the creaking noise so probably not the sunroof gasket in my case. I did put a couple of small shims between the black plastic housing in front of the rear view mirror and the windshield and that did get rid of some of the creaking but not all. I’d like to take off the headliner near the windshield to see if that is the problem but don’t know how to go about it. I imagine it’s held on by clips of some sort but I don’t feel comfortable just yanking on it. Has anyone removed the headliner to route wire for a dash cam or something?

Does it sound like it could be a loose wire touching styrofoam insulation? I had that, but coming from the passenger end of headliner. I found a fix when taking off A pillar panels: there was some excess wire (10-15 cm) routed through passenger side A pillar up to the headliner, which enabled it to move around and make a sound in specific circumstances. I pulled the excess into the A pillar and secured with appropriate deadening materials. Never heard a rattle since.

How did you remove the A pillars panels? And any idea how you would go about removing the headliner?
Thanks

How did you remove the A pillars panels? And any idea how you would go about removing the headliner?
Thanks
A pillar panels have one screw under the airbag plate, otherwise they just pry out. You’ll need vinyl prying tools and a bit of practice and confidence. Always pry directly outwards from panel, never bend while prying. There is a youtube video on how to do this on Model X, and it is almost similar on S.

If tightening of excess wire removes rattle, there is no need to remove headliner as in my case. Headliner is held by similar clips that you’ll find in A pillar panel. It takes a lot of force to unclip. Make sure there are no hidden screws e.g. under sunvisor holder. I think you need to take off A pillars before you can pull out headliner in the front.

Haven’t really addressed it yet. I went to an auto stereo shop near my house to see how much they would charge to pull the headliner and look around. They quoted $100/hr and were pretty confident they could find and fix the source in an hour. Rather than spend the money I’m planning to just take it to Tesla which I assume would be covered under warranty. The problem is the service center is in the next town over and and would be a bigger hassle getting it there and being without it for a couple of days. The constant creaking does bug me but I guess not to the point that I’m pulling the trigger to take it in yet.

Haven’t really addressed it yet. I went to an auto stereo shop near my house to see how much they would charge to pull the headliner and look around. They quoted $100/hr and were pretty confident they could find and fix the source in an hour. Rather than spend the money I’m planning to just take it to Tesla which I assume would be covered under warranty. The problem is the service center is in the next town over and and would be a bigger hassle getting it there and being without it for a couple of days. The constant creaking does bug me but I guess not to the point that I’m pulling the trigger to take it in yet.
That's where I am right now. Waiting on a couple of other things to make a visit to the SC worth it. Please keep me posted and I'll do the same.

As the weather is starting to get cold again this issue came back for me. I nearly forgot how annoying this is, the sound is way quieter in the summer.

Has anyone successfully fixed this issue? When my car was less than 1 year old I had Tesla try 8 times to fix creaking noises. They'd just screw around with some foam and say all good but never actually fixed it. Now they want to charge me to look at it any more.

Might take it to a third party shop since I don't think it makes sense to pay Tesla to look at it again if all they're going to do is stuff more foam in.