Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking/Rubbing with Next Gen Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P85D with Next Gen Seat option. There is no room between the center console arm rest and the side seat bolsters - they actually touch. Lately, I have noticed that this has translated into rubbing, squeaking and in general slightly annoying cabin noise. Is anyone else experiencing this with the same set up? Can those that have the option confirm that these seats actually touch the console with their set up?

same exact issue here with next gen seats

First post here... hello everyone! I've been active at the Tesla forums, but since they have been down for a week I decided to finally join here.

I also have this Next Gen squeaking/rubbing problem in my car for the last two months (=winter). Seems to be due to the cold winter temperatures. Interesting to hear about your experiences regarding the possible upcoming fixes at service centers. I wonder how they would fix it here in Northern Europe. I guess I'll have to visit the service center as well.
Hmm.. Interesting theory. Same started for me when the weather got cold!

ironic thing is that I complained about not having my nextgen seats when delivered, and now they squeak:(

short term fix I have put some rubber between the seat and the armrest that "fix" this until Tesla cant try fixing it.

It turns out I have this problem too.

I actually thought my problem with creaking was due to the armrests being loose, as it seemed I could press on the armrest and get it to make the creaking noise. My car was going in to the service center for a number of issues, including this one, and the service center assured me they had resolved this particular issue by taking apart the armrests, oiling them, tightening them, etc. When the car came back, the creaking was no better at all, so this evening I was planning on shooting a video to demonstrate, with the assistance of my wife. As we were getting started, she noticed that the seat was rubbing against the armrest on the driver's side, and that the noise was coming from those two things rubbing together. She also noticed that there was a gap between the seat and the armrest on the passenger side, so no offensive sound from that side.

I tried adjusting my seat into other positions, but could not find one that was reasonable to drive in and prevented contact between the seat and the armrest.

Do any of you know exactly what this spray the service centers are using is called, and whether or not it may be something we can obtain ourselves?

Has anyone come up with any other good solutions, other than the insertion of rubber or part of a velcro fastener or the application of talcum powder?

Thanks!

Had a P85D loaner with Next Gen Seats during my 25k mile service. OMG those seats rubbed and squeaked like they were about to fall apart. My 8 y/o daughter asked what the name of the loaner car was, she named ours Evie, and I told her it was nameless. She proceeded to have the name of the loaner car deemed "Squeaky Seat" which it has now been christened. LOL LOL LOL

full

seat was broken I did summise
creaking at the sides
then this post was discovered and I realized
now I drive silent and content
with a notebook at my side

SOLUTION:

This has been a problem with my car too. I took the car in to Portland Service to have it fixed and the technician had it fixed in minutes. The rubbing is a known issue between the side bolster and the center console. As many folks have noted, adding something between the seat and the console eliminates the creaking.

The service center fix is to apply Krytox (an industrial-grade grease/lubricant by DuPont) to the side of the seats. If applied correctly, the problem will be gone.

Unfortunately, the creaking came back for me about 6 months and 10k miles later. I went to Amazon and picked up a small tube of Krytox for myself avoiding a trip to the service center. I put a pea-sized amount of Krytox on a paper towel, pulled the side bolster away from the console and applied it to the side of the bolster.

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Kryto...ie=UTF8&qid=1472739607&sr=8-1&keywords=krytox

SOLUTION:

I went to Amazon and picked up a small tube of Krytox for myself avoiding a trip to the service center. I put a pea-sized amount of Krytox on a paper towel, pulled the side bolster away from the console and applied it to the side of the bolster.

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Kryto...ie=UTF8&qid=1472739607&sr=8-1&keywords=krytox

thanks man i'm gonna give this a try. i'm tired of keep putting my Oakley sunglasses bag in between my seat and the console!

SOLUTION:

This has been a problem with my car too. I took the car in to Portland Service to have it fixed and the technician had it fixed in minutes. The rubbing is a known issue between the side bolster and the center console. As many folks have noted, adding something between the seat and the console eliminates the creaking.

The service center fix is to apply Krytox (an industrial-grade grease/lubricant by DuPont) to the side of the seats. If applied correctly, the problem will be gone.

Unfortunately, the creaking came back for me about 6 months and 10k miles later. I went to Amazon and picked up a small tube of Krytox for myself avoiding a trip to the service center. I put a pea-sized amount of Krytox on a paper towel, pulled the side bolster away from the console and applied it to the side of the bolster.

My Ranger visit did the same thing for me in March and I've been squeak-free since then. The lubricant worked well for me.

Costa Mesa service center put a forefinger dab of Krytox GPL-203 on the side of my seat and insinuated it with a course dinner napkin. I think it was the circular motion of application that provided remedy, because hence gone was the squawk of pain from the rubbing and unfortunately for everyone else I get my notebook back and can write again.

• Funny
Reactions: ekendahl
The Amazon link provided is for Krytox GPL-205, and another poster mentioned the Tesla ranger used Krytox GPL-203. Anyone know which is the correct product? I'm sure both will work, but they have slightly different specs, and I'd like to use the same as the OEM.

The Amazon link provided is for Krytox GPL-205, and another poster mentioned the Tesla ranger used Krytox GPL-203. Anyone know which is the correct product? I'm sure both will work, but they have slightly different specs, and I'd like to use the same as the OEM.
No such thing as "OEM" just a fix that the service techs started using. I'm sure either product would work.

I had this same problem but with 2nd gen seats. The driver side bolster was rubbing against the center console. I brought it up at my 1st annual service thinking it was because I'm heavy and over time it "bent" the bolster. However they told me that the 2nd Gen seats were just a tad too big for the Tesla and they had several "fixes" to address this issue. On my service reports it says "installed spacer shim at center console rear lower mounting bolt hole. Verified console is not centered and no longer contacts 1st row seats"

I had this same problem but with 2nd gen seats. The driver side bolster was rubbing against the center console. I brought it up at my 1st annual service thinking it was because I'm heavy and over time it "bent" the bolster. However they told me that the 2nd Gen seats were just a tad too big for the Tesla and they had several "fixes" to address this issue. On my service reports it says "installed spacer shim at center console rear lower mounting bolt hole. Verified console is not centered and no longer contacts 1st row seats"

Yup I was told about this exact same fix the other day... for now I had the SC reapply the Krytox.