Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking sound in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bumping this. I have this issue and mobile service couldn't get it figured out. Creaking sound... like a loose foorboard in an old house. When starting and stopping. Initially required hard stopping and starting, but now just about any starting/stopping causes it. It's quite noticeable and has been going on for like 6 weeks. I will take to SC, but nearest to me is 3 hrs.... :(

Ok, I thought I was the only one with this "creaking" sound coming from somewhere on my drivers side (door panel, dashboard, front suspension area), I cannot pinpoint the exact location, but it creaks over every bump. I thought it was not something to visit SC about, but I'm taking mine in today.

I drive a Model 3 and noticed yesterday that the Model 3 has a "creak" sound when I accelerate from a stop position. Sometimes I can hear it when I brake suddenly. I did borrow a Model X while my car was getting paint repairs. I know the answer is to take it to a SC but they are pretty swamped and was wondering if anyone knew if it was a simple fix that I can perform.

I also have to take it in for paint problems that are new. There is also a weird rattling sound coming from the right side when the wind is fast. Otherwise, I do love the car and can't appreciate it much if I got my music or podcast playing loud. It's particularly noticeable when i am driving the family around.
I got rattles all over the place especially when driving spiritedly. Rattle from both front seat belt extenders in b-pillars, rattles from the rear ceiling upholstery, rattles from the rear seats, rattles from dashboard. They are everywhere. Took it in several times for these. They keep saying they fixed it but nothing is fixed.

I got rattles all over the place especially when driving spiritedly. Rattle from both front seat belt extenders in b-pillars, rattles from the rear ceiling upholstery, rattles from the rear seats, rattles from dashboard. They are everywhere. Took it in several times for these. They keep saying they fixed it but nothing is fixed.

Sorry to hear. They fixed the deceleration creak but something from the B pillar is still present. The main guy did say he heard too

Mine-s a sad rattlebox too. Everything creaks and rattles when the body twists. While they’re all pathetic (makes me dream of a $20k VW Golf with felt-lined door pockets and such), some creaks are easier to live with than others. I have had (and still have) a few that are downright infuriating. I just can’t drive the car like that (other than to the shop and back).

Last edited:
Sorry to hear. They fixed the deceleration creak but something from the B pillar is still present. The main guy did say he heard too

We should start a database of these, so they can track them more easily and stop pretending they fixed or couldn’t hear them (I’m only half-joking).

In the rattle department, so far I had the:
- belt tensioners
- rear seats
- steering wheel
- speakers
- front and rear light assemblies
- c pillar
- autopilot camera
- chassis bolts (front and back)

This is more of an “including but not limited to” list. :)

Mine got "fixed" i.e. the noise is gone, but the tech I spoke with wasn't entirely sure what action he took that fixed the problem. The invoice reads, "Technician made a slight adjustment to sub frame mount. Test drove vehicle, no noise no longer present."

Despite the double negative, looks like I'm good for now.

Wanted to bump this and post some videos I took of my creaking issue. Does this sound like anyone elses issue? Low speed, happens when going straight, in turns, on the brakes and off the brakes. It seems to happen on both acceleration and deceleration when the torque is initially applied and when slowdown/regent starts. Sound seems to be coming from the rear wheel areas.

P3D+.

Wanted to bump this and post some videos I took of my creaking issue. Does this sound like anyone elses issue? Low speed, happens when going straight, in turns, on the brakes and off the brakes. It seems to happen on both acceleration and deceleration when the torque is initially applied and when slowdown/regent starts. Sound seems to be coming from the rear wheel areas.

P3D+.

I have the same issue

I had a similar creaking sound. My service center tightened the rear suspension and it is fixed now. Not sure of any details on what they tightened.

P3D+.

Yep, those would be the chassis bolts needing more torque and the area where the suspension meets the body needing some grease.

I can hear a creaking sound like something is loose, to my left and behind me when driving the car. I have tried to narrow this down to an area, because it sounds like loose door trim or something. I only hear it when driving or when the car is moving. I’m not sure when this started, and I only have less than 550 miles on my P3D, but once heard, I cannot unhear this, and it’s incredibly annoying. It’s not so loud the stereo can’t drown it out, but one of the perks of these electric cars is the minimum amount of noise they make. I will be telling my SC about this and I have some videos of what it sounds like, just in case they can’t reproduce it, the next time I take it in. Hopefully it’s sometbing small and stupid and they can tighten something and it will stop.

I can hear a creaking sound like something is loose, to my left and behind me when driving the car. I have tried to narrow this down to an area, because it sounds like loose door trim or something. I only hear it when driving or when the car is moving. I’m not sure when this started, and I only have less than 550 miles on my P3D, but once heard, I cannot unhear this, and it’s incredibly annoying. It’s not so loud the stereo can’t drown it out, but one of the perks of these electric cars is the minimum amount of noise they make. I will be telling my SC about this and I have some videos of what it sounds like, just in case they can’t reproduce it, the next time I take it in. Hopefully it’s sometbing small and stupid and they can tighten something and it will stop.

You're may get a load of crap along the lines of "we can't reproduce it", "we can't fix what we can't hear" etc. To save yourself the aggravation, I suggest you post your videos here first and see if any of us have already fought that battle. There's a near 100% chance that somebody else has already come across the same rattle and, hopefully, has found a solution by now.

Any helpful information gathered here would also help the SC staff in their hunt for the noise, especially if it's one that is intermittent.

That being said, I can't believe how badly these cars are put together (the use of cheapo materials everywhere is also not helping). I've now driven a lot of loaners and, sadly, I see a pretty clear trend: the older the car, the better it was put together.

Last edited:

P3D+.

EXACTLY the same issue I had. The sound still hasn't come back after getting fixed about 3-4weeks ago!

Just joined this forum and I have the EXACT same issue with my month old P3D+. Loud creaking when accelerating and decelerating, even gently. The car sounds like a wooden horse wagon. Otherwise a brilliant car and incredible on the track.

I’ll post a video just as soon as I figure out how (still need to read the FAQ).

Cheers.