Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking sound in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 is in service as we speak for something similar. When I'm driving 20mph or less, there is a tapping sound coming from the front right of the dashboard. Can't hear it at higher speeds, but at lower speeds, it sounds like there is a loose harness tapping against plastic. We will see if they can get it fixed, because its drives me crazy

I had creaking sound coming when driving on slightly bumpy roads. The mobile service came today to install the dual motor performance badge and I had him take a look at it. Turns out the white dash trim (or the wood on the black interiors) had a few loose clips. He said this piece is installed at service center prior to delivery so he will talk to them to make sure they are not messing up all the cars. I am in las vegas.

I have the same creaking noise. Just started noticing it today. When I accelerate and decelerate, there is a very noticeable creak from rear passenger side. Sounds like a “spring” that needs some grease. Really don’t want to have to make another service appointment and leave the car. I assume this won’t go away by itself...

Wanted to bump this and post some videos I took of my creaking issue. Does this sound like anyone elses issue? Low speed, happens when going straight, in turns, on the brakes and off the brakes. It seems to happen on both acceleration and deceleration when the torque is initially applied and when slowdown/regent starts. Sound seems to be coming from the rear wheel areas.

P3D+.

That is exactly the same sound I am now experiencing.

Concern: Customer states there is a creaking sound coming from the front while driving slowly forward, and when depressing or releasing the accelerator. Please provide NVH sheet.
Corrections: Exterior NVH General Diagnosis
Technician road tested vehicle and found when driving over speed bumps, squeaking noise is produced from the front upper control arms. Technician recommends replacement of front upper control arms and re-check.
Corrections: Control Arm - Upper - Front - LH (Includes Alignment) Technician replaced the front left upper control arm.
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
FR UPR CTRL ARM ASSY, LH (1044321-00- 1 F)
FR UPR CTRL ARM ASSY, RH (1044326-00- 1 F)
Corrections: Control Arm - Upper - Front - RH (Includes Alignment) Technician replaced the front right upper control arm.
Pay Type: Warranty

I hope this resolves it for you. I've had the control arms and associated bushes replaced twice. The squelchy creaky sound always returns after a few weeks.
It will be going in again soon with a "please explain" demand.

I find my level of creaking is related to temperature. Seems that when it is warmer outside I get less creaking / rattling when going over bumps. Anyone else notice this?
Same here. When it is cold, it sounds as though my passenger door is going to fall off. Once things warm up (usually when I take it to the SC) - as quiet as a church mouse and I look like a douche.

• Funny
Reactions: dwalme
I'll add mine to the list. 3LR. I have a creak that seems to originate in the back seat area that sounds like it is something in the cabin but damned if can pinpoint the exact location. To further frustrate, it only seems to happen over insignificant bumps - like driving over a crack in the road - as opposed to hitting a pothole. Although I can hear it all the time, it seems to be more frequent when the car is cold. To my ears it sounds like it comes from inside the cabin but I have no real clue as I have shook and punched every panel behind the drivers seat and in the trunk and nothing.

I will attempt to capture a recording.

I'll add mine to the list. 3LR. I have a creak that seems to originate in the back seat area that sounds like it is something in the cabin but damned if can pinpoint the exact location. To further frustrate, it only seems to happen over insignificant bumps - like driving over a crack in the road - as opposed to hitting a pothole. Although I can hear it all the time, it seems to be more frequent when the car is cold. To my ears it sounds like it comes from inside the cabin but I have no real clue as I have shook and punched every panel behind the drivers seat and in the trunk and nothing.

I will attempt to capture a recording.

If it feels like it’s coming from inside the cabin, whenever it happens consistently, try folding the rear seatback down. The backrest doesn’t clip all that tightly into the frame and it can rattle.

If it feels like it’s coming from inside the cabin, whenever it happens consistently, try folding the rear seatback down. The backrest doesn’t clip all that tightly into the frame and it can rattle.

TeeEmCee maybe right.
Had the same kind of noise/rattle from inside back of car soon after M3 delivery. I wrapped the metal anchor (where back seats latch) with electrical tape - and the rattling sound disappeared.

Yes - I have driven with the back seats down in attempt to determine where the creak comes from and it still creaks. My next test will be to lie in the truck while someone else drives. LOL!

Wanted to bump this and post some videos I took of my creaking issue. Does this sound like anyone elses issue? Low speed, happens when going straight, in turns, on the brakes and off the brakes. It seems to happen on both acceleration and deceleration when the torque is initially applied and when slowdown/regent starts. Sound seems to be coming from the rear wheel areas.

P3D+.

That's it! Eureka. Mine just started yesterday, but it sounds like it's coming from the front driver's side.

Mine is in the shop now. The technician who test drove with me was able to hear the noise and was confident it was something to do with the seat and said they will fix it.

on a side note Tesla enterprise loaners are really bad. Wish they treated us like how BMW treats their customers.