Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking sound in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive a Model 3 and noticed yesterday that the Model 3 has a "creak" sound when I accelerate from a stop position. Sometimes I can hear it when I brake suddenly. I did borrow a Model X while my car was getting paint repairs. I know the answer is to take it to a SC but they are pretty swamped and was wondering if anyone knew if it was a simple fix that I can perform.

I also have to take it in for paint problems that are new. There is also a weird rattling sound coming from the right side when the wind is fast. Otherwise, I do love the car and can't appreciate it much if I got my music or podcast playing loud. It's particularly noticeable when i am driving the family around.

Last night I did a quick drive across town, on mostly quiet streets and heard the same, mostly on harder acceleration and less so on deceleration. The sound comes from the back, I'm guessing from a suspension component. It really does sound like it's a 15-year old car with a busted suspension going over bumps.

• Helpful
Reactions: Halloween81
this might sound silly but I feel my suspension sits high for a P3D+ and I wonder if there are some shipping spacers installed on the suspension they forgot to take out and that is making a noise... I haven't inspected the suspension though...

this might sound silly but I feel my suspension sits high for a P3D+ and I wonder if there are some shipping spacers installed on the suspension they forgot to take out and that is making a noise... I haven't inspected the suspension though...

I've been trying to figure this out too. The rear of mine is 1/2" higher than the front. I wish I knew what components are exclusive to the P3D+. Hopefully service will let me know one day.

I had a creaking sound that I found was coming from the aero cover on the front driver wheel. Only noticeable with the window down. It seemed secure on the wheel, but the creaking was reproducible when i pressed on the cover. A week ago the cover fell off during driving. Tesla promised to replace it. At least the creaking is gone.

• Funny
Reactions: mswlogo
I had a creaking sound that I found was coming from the aero cover on the front driver wheel. Only noticeable with the window down. It seemed secure on the wheel, but the creaking was reproducible when i pressed on the cover. A week ago the cover fell off during driving. Tesla promised to replace it. At least the creaking is gone.

Thank you for the tip. I just received my lug/center caps today and took the covers off. I’ll test again tomorrow.