Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking/Squeaking control arm ball joint fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had this fixed at the SC. It came on suddenly - no squeak, and then one day squeaking like crazy. The total cost was $390 - was covered by my extended warranty (except for $100 deductible). It's so depressing (and embarrassing) to drive when it's squeaking like that! Once I picked it up and it was silent I enjoyed driving it again.

SC in Bellevue is replacing both of mine today for ~$250+tx. Seems pretty reasonable.
That being said, disappointing in the first place that it would start creaking so loudly after <40K miles (sounds like really old springs in a bed), so maybe they are considering that.

I took my model 3 in for creaking and they are quoting me 1100 to replace all four links. They are saying the ball joints are not the problem. Below is what tesla is telling me. I raised the car myself and just moved around the ball joint to try and get the grease to move around in the ball joint. It worked for. Awhile but creaking came back. I never added any grease to the ball joints. Do you think what tesla is telling me is true?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230530_172320_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20230530_172320_Tesla.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 135
Noticed the squeak one day all of a sudden when turning steering.
First thought it was steering rack but it was noisy on bumps too
It was coming from left side.

Pulled the rubber boot to find this:
1690062732782.png

somehow water got in there too.
cleaned, re-greased n gave it good wiggle in all directions, all quiet now
good for short term fix but will have to replace later

This looks to be why many suspensions fail at this location n ball just pops out.

Upper control arm squeaking? $8 fix and 15 minutes of your time.
Watch this video, get $8 RedNTacky Grease from HomeDepot (or similar grease, read somewhere marine grease good too).
I modified the approach using an 18Gauge needle and a 10 mL syringe.
I was able to put air suspension in high and there was wide open easy access.
Injected 8 mL (seemed like the max) and it instantly fixed the problem. See the picture. I have a 2018 Model X.
Good luck!

(I donated to his PayPal, cuz this fix is just awesome!)

Thanks!! Squeak is gone. Worked great

I took my model 3 in for creaking and they are quoting me 1100 to replace all four links. They are saying the ball joints are not the problem. Below is what tesla is telling me. I raised the car myself and just moved around the ball joint to try and get the grease to move around in the ball joint. It worked for. Awhile but creaking came back. I never added any grease to the ball joints. Do you think what tesla is telling me is true?
Add grease to the joints. If it goes away, your all set.

You're in the Model X forum. You'll get much more reasonable input in the Model 3 area.
Yes and No. It's a shame the forum is split into each vehicle style, when so many problems these vehicles have, are clear across the board. It's a shame as useful information or help might be in one vehicle section, however since the vehicle owner doesn't have that vehicle style, might never visit that forum. I'm guilty of that myself. I have S and X, so I rarely venture to the 3 and Y sections.

Too bad :-( In the future, also request to keep all old parts. You may keep just about everything if it's a out of pocket repair. They will tell you if there is a core fee.
If for no other reason than to open things up and see what failed :)
They actually did the work without my approval. When I went to check they couldn't find the actual part. They were buckets of the same parts that were replaced from other vehicles. So my parts could not be found.

How do I find that out? Not had a recall for this issue it just started happening a week ago
The recall was done a couple of years ago. I believe they stopped doing the recall cause it didn't not fix the issue. If your vehicle is under warranty they will fix for free. If not they will try to charge you 200 plus. You can argue your point it that this was part of an existing recall and should of been addressed than.

So I took it in to SC, I did lube the foots up and it did actually help quite a lot. Was shocked to get this quote though! They said the lower arms are worn and may fall off. Seems excessive, no? The creaking was definitely improved once I greaced the rubber feet up above the tire.

Attachments

• IMG_8982.jpeg
    IMG_8982.jpeg
    362.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8983.jpeg
    IMG_8983.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 61
So I took it in to SC, I did lube the foots up and it did actually help quite a lot. Was shocked to get this quote though! They said the lower arms are worn and may fall off. Seems excessive, no? The creaking was definitely improved once I greaced the rubber feet up above the tire.
That's exactly what they told me. Same quote. I argued with them and they still changed the links not the control arms. Charged me 1100 dollars. A couple of weeks later the creak came back real bad. I had a different Tesla garage change the control arms for 50 bucks. I argued I paid for links for 1100 that was not the real issue. Here is my pic of the text message.
Screenshot_20230818_120241_Tesla.jpg

This is crazy!
Yep the creaking is the control arms. They need to show you the bad links before replacing. They replaced all four links and charged me 1100. I stated would you replace for free if the control arms are the issue. They said no. That is why I went to a different location. After they changed the links a couple of weeks later the creaking came back worse. The control arms were changed for 50 bucks. No more creaking.