Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creep mode, Am I the wrong one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Automatics creep in drive and reverse, as far as I know they always have.
Some do have the option to disable creep. My DSG golf had such option (auto hold) and it behaved in the same exact manner as the tesla. It was also better for the clutch packs. This was the preferred way to me before the tesla hence feels "natural" as it came setup from factory.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I could tolerate creep mode in my Volvo V70 because the handbrake (albeit a 'digital' one rather than a good 'old fashioned ' lever) could hold the car against the creep.

There isn't a handbrake on the Tesla so if you needed to hold that car you'd have to switch to park mode.
I think I tried creep mode once and didn't like it and have been with hold mode pretty much since collection.

I have to say, I love the "hold" mode in the Model 3. I drove an I-PACE when I first got the Model 3 and found it annoying having to activate the parking brake to stop it rolling on a hill or braking to come to a complete stop. And I also hated the "B" mode on the 2018 LEAF I used to drive - it felt really grabby below 30mph and as if you're driving through treacle. The Model 3 feels more natural in comparison. Tough to explain, but it's something both I and my passengers noticed with the LEAF.

Last edited:
Creep is a feature that is meant to replicate old behaviors of automatic transmission ICE cars. A manual transmission ICE had no creep and engine compression was somewhat similar to regen. BUT most people in many countries (including USA) have an automatic. The feature is there solely to make the transition easier. As was low regen by the way, although it was removed, but I digress. If we had started with EVs instead of ICE, creep would never had existed.
There is no right or wrong, it depends on what you prefer. As someone said, switching continuously between ICE and EVs, someone might prefer creep.

I've a petrol X3 and it can switch between creep and hold same as the tesla.

It also has active cruise control and can stop the car, but after 5 secs it won't go again until you press the accelerator, unlike the tesla that will happily let you fall asleep for 30 mins before propelling you off the line :)

Reactions: AndrewGR
Automatics creep in drive and reverse, as far as I know they always have. You control the creep speed using the brake, if you are not in control of the car in that situation then that's more of a reflection on your driving skills than anything else.
Well the "they have always been like that" argument isnt really valid. And yes, you SHOULD always be in control, but there have been plenty of creep mode accidents where a car has driven over someone in creep, so lets bid farewell to something that only actually existed to stop the early torque converters from over-heating.

Reactions: Teddy69
This is a myth that never seems to die. Teslas automatically engage the friction brakes every now and then (just a little bit, it's hardly noticeable if at all). There is no need to do that manually, at least if it's occasionally cold or wet.

From the manual:
Myth or not, it's recommended after cleaning the car. From the manual pg 177/8

If necessary, dry the brakes by going on a short drive and applying the brakes multiple times.

especially in areas where salt is used on the roads:

CAUTION: To avoid corrosive damage that may not be covered by the warranty, rinse away any road salt from the underside of the vehicle, wheel wells, and brakes. After cleaning the vehicle, dry the brakes by going on a short drive and applying the brakes multiple times.

Well the "they have always been like that" argument isnt really valid. And yes, you SHOULD always be in control, but there have been plenty of creep mode accidents where a car has driven over someone in creep, so lets bid farewell to something that only actually existed to stop the early torque converters from over-heating.
There have been plenty of accidents with hold mode too. It isn't really an argument for either mode.

My only niggle moving to an EV was that I've always enjoyed manual cars, such that I almost avoided automatics - I'm long over that now.

I found hold mode felt more natural to me, not quite sure why although I had a theory it was a closer feeling to holding with the clutch as no brake pedal required. That might be nonsense, but I found hold best whatever the real reason.

However... It does mean it's too easy to leave the brake lights on when stopped in traffic. There is no handbrake while still in drive. This leaving brake lights on does appear to be the trend nowadays.

I don't like having my brake lights on when stopped in a queue e.g. at traffic lights.
Now in the Tesla the brake lights come on solid whether you are regenning or using the footbrake and they stay on in a queue.
The only way to turn them off is to switch to Park. I hate stopping behind someone with their brake lights on - but I'm guilty of doing it myself now :(

In my Volvo V70 I'd leave it in drive but put the handbrake on and release when moving again.
A Volvo loaner I had with auto stop/start would stop the engine in a queue when the foot brake was applied however putting the handbrake on and releasing the foot brake would restart the engine! It assumed you'd stop in a queue with foot brake only.

In an ICE vehicle using engine braking you could "advertise" the severity of braking by pumping the brakes - flashing the brake lights.
Only option now might be to turn on the hazard flashers when emergency braking.

One annoyance with Parking in mid-drive is that TeslaFi treats it as "end of drive", start a new one!

Creep when parking Is a nightmare, esp if the car has obstacle-aware auto-hold, as my wife’s ID3 has. It makes parking in a tight spot look like you’re a complete learner with the car repeatedly slamming on the brakes. Hate it.

This is a myth that never seems to die. Teslas automatically engage the friction brakes every now and then (just a little bit, it's hardly noticeable if at all). There is no need to do that manually, at least if it's occasionally cold or wet.

From the manual:
Like most things tesla: it doesn't work very well then. I had a corrosion problem on my left front which ended with the pad sticking to the disk. It took quite a few vigorous acceleration and braking events before I finally scrubbed it off.

Reactions: init6
EVs should have options as they aren't limited by the mechanical aspects like eg an auto gearbox ICE.

But I love creep mode. I'm coming from a history of automatic cars so maybe my thought process is different.

When I'm reversing in particular, creep is my parking speed and I can hover over the brake to control my speed, knowing my max speed is only what creep mode gives me. The alternative would be me hitting the accelerator to push the car - which normally is fine but of course could be too fast occasionally. Basically Creep mode has a failsafe built in whereas the other option doesn't.

The only downside is it can't come to a halt at the lights without a bit of brake usage. I'd like the option to have creep only in reverse

Last edited:
Reactions: rjack1282 and init6
I could tolerate creep mode in my Volvo V70 because the handbrake (albeit a 'digital' one rather than a good 'old fashioned ' lever) could hold the car against the creep.

There isn't a handbrake on the Tesla so if you needed to hold that car you'd have to switch to park mode.
I think I tried creep mode once and didn't like it and have been with hold mode pretty much since collection.

if you have creep enabled you can use 'hold' mode by firmly pressing the brake - then when you let go it'll stay there until you press the accelerator to pull away