Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross Path Detection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a soon to be owner of an S P90DL :D I've experienced autopilot during a test drive and really like having sensors lookout for hazards. It's like having another set of eyes watch the road. Before my autopilot experience, I was introduced to drive assist features by our 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel. It has adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, and cross path detection. Cross path detection alerts you when in reverse and a vehicle is crossing behind. This is most useful when backing out of a parking space with cars adjacent, blocking your view. During my test drive, I was told the S doesn't have this feature. I'm left wondering if the necessary hardware is present so that the feature could be added with a software upgrade. Any ideas?

I am a soon to be owner of an S P90DL :D I've experienced autopilot during a test drive and really like having sensors lookout for hazards. It's like having another set of eyes watch the road. Before my autopilot experience, I was introduced to drive assist features by our 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel. It has adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, and cross path detection. Cross path detection alerts you when in reverse and a vehicle is crossing behind. This is most useful when backing out of a parking space with cars adjacent, blocking your view. During my test drive, I was told the S doesn't have this feature. I'm left wondering if the necessary hardware is present so that the feature could be added with a software upgrade. Any ideas?
The only sensor it has it that direction is the sonor. It has a range of 16 feet which is not enough to give adequate warning.

Agreed. Rear cross path detection on the Grand Cherokee uses a longer range (hundreds of feet) K-band doppler radar system. The Model S has one of its ultrasonic parking sensors pointed in that direction, but as mentioned above, the range is 16 feet and honestly ultrasonic sensors are pretty bad at picking up objects with a high relative speed difference.... So back out carefully in your MS!

• Love
Reactions: Texas